cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: "Look at me" threads

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=45280.msg784642#msg784642 date=1211897026]
    Even though I know that SIA loves these threads, the ones where we congratulate folks for hitting milestones in their posting, I suggest that there is one sticky thread in the clubhouse where these threads are located.

The end.
    They aren't "Look at Me!" threads.
    They are "Look at that guy - with the understanding that someone else will post 'Look at Me!' when I've accomplished a milestone!" threads.

=Z=
    Maybe we should ALSO "sticky" those "Look at MY favorite BASEBALL team" threads too?
    Or how about all of those "Look at me with all the cheerleaders" threads?
    Maybe we could even "sticky" all of those "Look, I got up earlier than the rest of you so that I could take credit for posting all of the Vikings articles"?

What the heck...let's just "Sticky" EVERYTHING!!!
    Congratulatory threads for reaching a milestone are in their own mind-numbing league.
    They deserve to be sequestered.
    I would say the same for MOST of the threads on here as well...but then I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't like your "Taking a Dump" thread to get put on a sticky as well.
    Well, that's your opinion.
    I see it as a bunch of repeat threads littering the boards.
    Someone reaches a milestone and people say congratulations!
    Nothing wrong with that, but when you sign in and 1/2 of the threads on the opening page of the clubhouse are 'look at me' threads it seems to me that they would be better contained somewhere.

Just a suggestion.
    If people don't like it they can lick me where I stink.
    I'll lose sleep over it.
    [/quote]

I know you will.
    NOT

As for me, I see nothing wrong with having fun on here...and that is what those types of threads promote...to relegate them to a "Sticky" just diminishes their effect as builders of camraderie...which is how I view them.

But I do respect your position.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, very interesting thread......

At some point I think you can just quit congratulating guys/gals after posting 1,000 posts.
    Maybe bump it to every 5,000 or so after they hit 10,000.

You still mark another achievement and yet, we don't bore people to death with a thread that seems to happen every 2 to 3 weeks for the most active posters.
    It's like the TV...don't click on it...there is no rule that one HAS to only go to the "From the Huddle" listing first.
    No offense.

OF COURSE, if I could also relegate certain threads to a "Sticky" as well, I might not be so opposed to the idea presented by Prophet.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=45280.msg784648#msg784648 date=1211897290]
    Even though I know that SIA loves these threads, the ones where we congratulate folks for hitting milestones in their posting, I suggest that there is one sticky thread in the clubhouse where these threads are located.

The end.
    They are "Look at that guy - with the understanding that someone else will post 'Look at Me!' when I've accomplished a milestone!" threads.

=Z=
    Maybe we should ALSO "sticky" those "Look at MY favorite BASEBALL team" threads too?
    Maybe we could even "sticky" all of those "Look, I got up earlier than the rest of you so that I could take credit for posting all of the Vikings articles"?

Congratulatory threads for reaching a milestone are in their own mind-numbing league.
    I would say the same for MOST of the threads on here as well...but then I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't like your "Taking a Dump" thread to get put on a sticky as well.
    Nothing wrong with that, but when you sign in and 1/2 of the threads on the opening page of the clubhouse are 'look at me' threads it seems to me that they would be better contained somewhere.

Just a suggestion.
    I'll lose sleep over it.
    [/quote]

I know you will.
    NOT

As for me, I see nothing wrong with having fun on here...and that is what those types of threads promote...to relegate them to a "Sticky" just diminishes their effect as builders of camraderie...which is how I view them.

[/quote]

I'm not saying I don't like them.
    I like those more than the introductory threads, because these are the people that make the boards alive, not the one-post wonders.
    The folks that stick around and make pp.o what it is.

I don't expect any change, nor do I care.
    It's a suggestion that gives people a reason to create more posts so they can have another 'look at me' thread.
    I am contributing to the problem that I perceive.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of those threads while this one is still alive.
    I'm a professional at littering the boards.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

At some point I think you can just quit congratulating guys/gals after posting 1,000 posts.

You still mark another achievement and yet, we don't bore people to death with a thread that seems to happen every 2 to 3 weeks for the most active posters.
    It's like the TV...don't click on it...there is no rule that one HAS to only go to the "From the Huddle" listing first.
    No offense.

OF COURSE, if I could also relegate certain threads to a "Sticky" as well, I might not be so opposed to the idea presented by Prophet.
    Its not so much the "Don't Click On It" problem but rather if you don't post for a few days you have alot of things to wade through to get to the ones you want to read/comment on.

Maybe another option is to add a bit of functionality to the site so that if you click on the "Show unread posts since last visit or "Show new replies to your posts" you can selectively delete the ones that don't interest you.

That would alleviate alot of threads mucking a guys/gals reading process up.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=cajunvike link=topic=45280.msg784722#msg784722 date=1211905295]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=45280.msg784648#msg784648 date=1211897290]

The end.

=Z=

Just a suggestion.
    I'll lose sleep over it.
    [/quote]

I know you will.
    NOT

[/quote]

I'm not saying I don't like them.
    I like those more than the introductory threads, because these are the people that make the boards alive, not the one-post wonders.
    The folks that stick around and make pp.o what it is.

I don't expect any change, nor do I care.
    It's a suggestion that gives people a reason to create more posts so they can have another 'look at me' thread.
    I am contributing to the problem that I perceive.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of those threads while this one is still alive.
    I'm a professional at littering the boards.
    [/quote]

Fair enough....no offense meant.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

No offense.

Its not so much the "Don't Click On It" problem but rather if you don't post for a few days you have alot of things to wade through to get to the ones you want to read/comment on.

Maybe another option is to add a bit of functionality to the site so that if you click on the "Show unread posts since last visit or "Show new replies to your posts" you can selectively delete the ones that don't interest you.

That would alleviate alot of threads mucking a guys/gals reading process up.

;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Now THAT I would have no problem with.

And trust me, I am one of those who doesn't post much on the weekends, so I have plenty to wade through come the first day of the work week.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I've always believed if you don't like a topic, just don't click on it and move on......

It only takes a second to congragulate someone and it's done with ......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I think milestones are something like: 1,000, Hall of Fame, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000.

Not:
    100, 500, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc.

Shit, someone with 30,000+ getting congratulated for 31,000?
    What's 1000 more of the 30,000?

Do what you want I guess.
    I really never read them anyways.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I think milestones are something like: 1,000, Hall of Fame, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000.

Not:
    100, 500, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc.

pooh, someone with 30,000+ getting congratulated for 31,000?
    What's 1000 more of the 30,000?

Do what you want I guess.
    I really never read them anyways.

Best advice for those who don't care about them.
    BUT you are all missing out on all the fun and ribbing that the congratulated poster gets on those threads!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast