ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

HDMI-DVI question

Hi, so I eventually sold all my Xbox stuff and am thinking of getting a PS3.
    The issue is, unlike the Xbox (which comes with component cable), the PS3 doesn't come with high-def cables.

In addition, my high def TV (which goes to 720p/1080i not 1080p) does not have an HDMI hookup but rather a hookup for component cables in addition to a DVI input.

So should I get the component cables for my future PS3 or some variety of HDMI-DVI cable (which would also require a audio cable, as DVI does not have audio incorporated into it like HDMI)?

What is everyone's knowledge of an HDMI-DVI cable?
    Are there bad ones/good ones?
    Would I get better quality with that than a component cable?
    Should I get a new TV down the line 3 or so years, will they all have HDMI (rather than DVI?)

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: HDMI-DVI question

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    The issue is, unlike the Xbox (which comes with component cable), the PS3 doesn't come with high-def cables.

In addition, my high def TV (which goes to 720p/1080i not 1080p) does not have an HDMI hookup but rather a hookup for component cables in addition to a DVI input.

So should I get the component cables for my future PS3 or some variety of HDMI-DVI cable (which would also require a audio cable, as DVI does not have audio incorporated into it like HDMI)?

Should I get a new TV down the line 3 or so years, will they all have HDMI (rather than DVI?)
    Both are digital. DVI only does video, while HDMI does both video and audio.

You can get the converter and you should be just fine; it WILL be better than the component video cable.
    You should not need a new TV, don't worry about that one....

You can pick up the converter from partsexpress.com or newegg.com for cheap...

What you will end up doing is the HDMI cable off of your gaming box and a HDMI to DVI converter at your TV.
    Further, you will need to utilize an optical or digital coaxial cable for your sound (or analog, but.... stick to digital).

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

HDMI and DVI are exactly the same as far as image quality goes; HDMI just has audio integrated into it.
    If you get a DVI cable and get a new TV, it will most likely only have HDMI, not DVI.

I would say just get a DVI cable and seperate audo cables since a DVI cable shouldn't be very expensive, then if you get a new TV you can just get an HDMI cable.
    But, a component cable would not be horrible.
    You might not even notice a difference since your TV doesn't do 1080p.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:

HDMI and DVI are exactly the same as far as image quality goes; HDMI just has audio integrated into it.
    If you get a DVI cable and get a new TV, it will most likely only have HDMI, not DVI.

I would say just get a DVI cable and seperate audo cables since a DVI cable shouldn't be very expensive, then if you get a new TV you can just get an HDMI cable.
    But, a component cable would not be horrible.
    You might not even notice a difference since your TV doesn't do 1080p.
    I've noticed a pretty significant difference in utilizing HDMI cables versus (good) component cables...

I would definitely go with the DVI cable (digital)... totally worth it.
    If you ever upgrade your TV you can just remove the HDMI to DVI converter and you're still set.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

So I guess the consensus is to go with DVI/HDMI.
    I figure if I buy a new TV in a few years (which will likely only have HDMI), it would be smart to buy a HDMI cable and HDMI/DVI adapter versus just buying a HDMI-DVI cable.
    Does this make sense?
    That way when I get a new TV I can just use the HDMI cable I bought?

Can anyone recommend any particular brand of HDMI cable or HDMI-DVI adapter?

aceclown is offline Coach

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I figure if I buy a new TV in a few years (which will likely only have HDMI), it would be smart to buy a HDMI cable and HDMI/DVI adapter versus just buying a HDMI-DVI cable.
    Does this make sense?

Don't worry about buying HDMI cables in the future if you do get a new TV.
    What you will find from any high-def forum is that you will want to get all your cables from MONOPRICE.COM.
    That site is your best friend for cables, in that you get high quality cables for a small fraction of the price you pay at retailers.

For your situation, buy this HDMI cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_i d=3992&seq=1&format=2 (or longer depending on your sit.)
    With this DVI adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_i d=2029&seq=1&format=2

This way you will have the HDMI cable for the future if you upgrade, and the DVI adapter will make it work with your current setup.

Chuch.

"aceclown" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Does this make sense?

What you will find from any high-def forum is that you will want to get all your cables from MONOPRICE.COM.
    That site is your best friend for cables, in that you get high quality cables for a small fraction of the price you pay at retailers.

For your situation, buy this HDMI cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_i d=3992&seq=1&format=2 (or longer depending on your sit.)
    With this DVI adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_i d=2029&seq=1&format=2

This way you will have the HDMI cable for the future if you upgrade, and the DVI adapter will make it work with your current setup.
    Thank for the recommendation, what type of cable would work best for the audio then?
    Since the DVI is strictly video...

aceclown is offline Coach

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Does this make sense?

Thank for the recommendation, what type of cable would work best for the audio then?
    Since the DVI is strictly video...
    If your TV (or receiver if you use one) has optical in, buy this for audio
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_i d=1419&seq=1&format=2

Chuch.