Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Gutter Advice/Help needed

Okay - we had a screened-in porch put on our house last year and now I really really need to put gutters up.

I've got about 16' on both sides of the roof to cover and I'd like this to be as simple as possible.

Menards stocks a vinyl gutter system called Rain Trax, but my internet searches are showing me that that system is not actually being made any more - and I can't find any "How To Put Up Our Stuff" instructions/documentation anywhere.
    That makes me hesitate, although I do understand the basics of how to put them up.

If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd really appreciate it if you could be a resource for me to figure this out.
    I need to get it done - the runoff (particularly on the west side) is really eroding the ground underneath the porch.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Gutter Advice/Help needed

My best advise would be to look in the yellow pages and find a seamless gutter company and have them install the whole works for you.

Those vinyl gutter systems work great for a few months if you are lucky, then when they get heated up and cooled down enough they will move on you and start leaking at the seams . Of course they only leak when it rains, so if you can avoid that they would work fine.

If you figure out the time it takes you to figure out what you need, go get it, install it and clean up, you will find the prices for the seamless are pretty attractive. At least they are where I live.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

There's really not a whole lot to it. You need to make sure the gutter slopes downward towards the down spout to prevent water from collecting in the middle & also to facilitate runoff. You can get more involved in choosing a gutter size based on you zone, the size of your roof & it's pitch, but I think that's overkill, since most gutter are the same size.

Does the Rain Traxx system utilize the rubber seals at the seams? If so, there is also a liquid sealer & conditioner you brush on the rubber to ensure a better seal.

You also want to leave a bit of a gap between the gutter pieces to allow for expansion & contaraction. This should already be designed in to the connector pieces.

What I typically do is slope about 1/2" for a 10' section & use a chalk line to snap a line to indicate where the top of my hangers go & use 5 hangers (1 being the seam hanger) per 10 foot piece.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    There's really not a whole lot to it. You need to make sure the gutter slopes downward towards the down spout to prevent water from collecting in the middle & also to facilitate runoff. You can get more involved in choosing a gutter size based on you zone, the size of your roof & it's pitch, but I think that's overkill, since most gutter are the same size.

Does the Rain Traxx system utilize the rubber seals at the seams? If so, there is also a liquid sealer & conditioner you brush on the rubber to ensure a better seal.

You also want to leave a bit of a gap between the gutter pieces to allow for expansion & contaraction. This should already be designed in to the connector pieces.

What I typically do is slope about 1/2" for a 10' section & use a chalk line to snap a line to indicate where the top of my hangers go & use 5 hangers (1 being the seam hanger) per 10 foot piece.
    Use a product call "Through the roof" to seal it.
    It comes in a can where you paint it on or I just buy the tube you can put in caulking gun.
    It also works great if your roof is leaking if you have a chimney.
    The stuff is great, it can put on even when it's raining and it will still do the job.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

It comes in a can where you paint it on or I just buy the tube you can put in caulking gun.
    The stuff is great, it can put on even when it's raining and it will still do the job.
    That stuff sounds like something used more on metal gutters or vinyl gutters that don't have the rubber seals & acts like a glue.

The rubber seals I speak of are more of an O'ring type seal & the lubricant/sealer/conditioner I'm speaking allows the gutter to slide back & fourth across the seal during expansion & contraction.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

That stuff sounds like something used more on metal gutters or vinyl gutters that don't have the rubber seals & acts like a glue.

The rubber seals I speak of are more of an O'ring type seal & the lubricant/sealer/conditioner I'm speaking allows the gutter to slide back & fourth across the seal during expansion & contraction.
    I even put the stuff on the ones with the rubber seal, becuase that kind doesn't always go together like they are suppose to.
    I don't like them. I prefer the vinyl or metal, but that's just my opinion.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    Okay - we had a screened-in porch put on our house last year and now I really really need to put gutters up.

I've got about 16' on both sides of the roof to cover and I'd like this to be as simple as possible.

Menards stocks a vinyl gutter system called Rain Trax, but my internet searches are showing me that that system is not actually being made any more - and I can't find any "How To Put Up Our Stuff" instructions/documentation anywhere.
    That makes me hesitate, although I do understand the basics of how to put them up.

If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd really appreciate it if you could be a resource for me to figure this out.
    I need to get it done - the runoff (particularly on the west side) is really eroding the ground underneath the porch.

=Z=
    Just buy something...and get your mind out of the gutter!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like you have some helpful advice already.

I used this site for a recent project.

http://www.doityourself.com/scat/guttersanddrainage