Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: A Gearhead question...

the brown wire is so you can set the timing. what that does is advances the timing so disconnecting it will give you an acurate timing reading. but the truck needs to be running to check timing.

so from here you have to start from square 1. for any combustion engine you need spark, air, fuel and compression. so verify you still have all of those.

then next i would redrop the distributor. how are you verifing top dead center? the easiest way for me is to line up the mark and look into the #1 spark plug hole to see the top of the piston. if there is no room then use a straw or something long and flexable. then rotate the crank around 1 full revolution and compare. another way is to put you finger over the spark plug hole while rotating the crank shaft. as soon as you get pressure and the timing marks aligned, then you have tdc.

if the distributor is 1 tooth off it could also cause this.

all of this is based on the truck running prior.

i hate having to drop the distributor blind . now what i do is just mark the distributor and rotor before removing it, then i dont have to worry about timing marks and rotating the engine. just drop and go.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    wow....some of you are really smart

I take my vehicles in when they dont run right
    its what i do for a living =)
    Where you work.....I should take my vehicles to you....you in North Dakota?
    ??? You would? The guy is here asking questions & doesn't know if he put the distributor cap on backwards or not.
    :P

J/K FDC

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

the brown wire is so you can set the timing. what that does is advances the timing so disconnecting it will give you an acurate timing reading. but the truck needs to be running to check timing.

so from here you have to start from square 1. for any combustion engine you need spark, air, fuel and compression. so verify you still have all of those.

then next i would redrop the distributor. how are you verifing top dead center? the easiest way for me is to line up the mark and look into the #1 spark plug hole to see the top of the piston. if there is no room then use a straw or something long and flexable. then rotate the crank around 1 full revolution and compare. another way is to put you finger over the spark plug hole while rotating the crank shaft. as soon as you get pressure and the timing marks aligned, then you have tdc.

i hate having to drop the distributor blind . now what i do is just mark the distributor and rotor before removing it, then i dont have to worry about timing marks and rotating the engine. just drop and go.
    Not only the distributor itself, but the gears/pulleys for the timing chain/belt as well. If he put on a new chain/pulley were all the marks aligned properly before doing so?

Aren't the rotors poke-yoked on a '93 with a tab that fits into a slot to aid you so you don't put them on 180 degrees out?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Hey Pack, you get this kindof support on your Packer site.
    ;D

fourdoorchevelle,

Damn my friend, good mechanics are hard to find.
    If I lived in CA I'd give ya my business.
    Sounds like you know your stuff.
    Way to step up my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Nice triple post Marrdro..........

Post Whore!

"singersp" wrote:
    Nice triple post Marrdro..........

Post Whore!

and unfortunatly no , untill they get to dis (distributorless ingnition systems) on chevy you have to drop it the distributor the same way you've always had to.

"singersp" wrote:

Not only the distributor itself, but the gears/pulleys for the timing chain/belt as well. If he put on a new chain/pulley were all the marks aligned properly before doing so?
    that's what makes me wonder if it was running prior to the distributor rebuild

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Okay went back to the basics this morning.. went an purchased a timing light and started with the spark.. and 4DC.. you were right on the first issue, we have spark but it isn't a consistant spark.. the 2 and 6 cylinders are firing like they should.. steady spark.. every other cylinder has a random spark down by the block.. seems to fire once in a while. Pull the plug out and test it against the block and it fires every time... additionally if we test right out of the distro cap.. it fires every time like it should..

Today.. we replaced the wires and cap and had no luck, doing the same thing.. spark right from the cap.. but only the 2 and 6 cylinders spark by the plug consistently and the rest intermittant spark..

Could we have a weak coil? Or would you point to the module? Checked the computer.. it tested out fine..

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

BTW.. timing chain wasn't touched.. we had to replace the head gaskets.. so the motor was pulled apart that far.. when we started to struggle with the timing yesterday.. things got out of sync.. I think we can get it back if we can figure out why after we had it running "rough" yesterday we can't get the thing to fire back up...

Again.. thanks for all the imput and help.. much more knowledgeable base than asking on the Packer board..

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast