Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re: A Gearhead question...

Gotta put the kiddies to sleep.. so I will be away for a while.. to all that have helped or post after this ..
    I just wanted to make sure I said Thank you for your help... it is appreciated. Truly.

Thanks again..

was it running rough before you took the distributor out ? if so it may be something else .

what all did you replace in the distributor? you won't be able to just flip the rotor around, youll need to take the distributor out and rotate the rotor 180 degrees, but thats if you didn't get it on the compression stroke.

also when wiring the cap remember that the cylinder numbers alternate from side to side . with the number 1 cylinder being on the cylinder farthest forward. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/2/M/350_firing_order.gif&imgrefurl=http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl256lib.htm&h=354&w=288&sz=6&hl=en&start=1&tbnid= VoGEw7sfpyXPeM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3D350%2Bfiring%2Border%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

sounds to me since nothing happens untill rotation the cap , that either the firing order is wrong or dropped the distributor on the exhaust stroke causing the distributr to be 180 degrees out.

if dropped right it should fire right up. but setting timing requires a timing light and the correct procedure. alot of time it is necassary to disconect a wire and put the gear selector in a specific postion also paying attention to idle speed . but impossoble to do when the engine won't start

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

wow....some of you are really smart

I take my vehicles in when they dont run right

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

its what i do for a living =)

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Where you work.....I should take my vehicles to you....you in North Dakota?

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Where you work.....I should take my vehicles to you....you in North Dakota?
    sorry id be 1 hell of a tow . i live in california

Criminies....the diesel to there would kill me.....

Your out of luck buddy...I can't be a customer

"pack93z" wrote:
    sure you didn't drop the distributor 180 out?

how did it run before you took the distributor out? why did you take the distributor out?
    As mentioned, it was a rebuild today.. everything went fine until we got to firing it up.. at first it started up but was running very rough.. so then we stopped rechecked all the wiring, the timing mark to the compression stroke and cap placement to the # 1 cylinder.. after checking everything we went to start it again.. as of this moment we can't get it to fire up. If we advance the rotation of the distro it acts like it wants to fire, but won't after a quarter of a turn. To me, I want to flip the cap around 180 and then try it.. but pops disagrees, so we stopped and I thought I would research it.. in addition thought I would ask here.. suggestions.

hmm after rereading this it sounds like you may not be getting any spark... to check this remove 1 spark plug, reconnet the spark plug wire and rest the spark plug against the exhaust manifold (or another type of "ground") the crank the engine and watch for the spark . if you have no spark then i suspect the ignition module , which is very common .

if you have spark then test for fuel pressure, you can do this by spraying carb cleaner into the intake manifold while cranking it. or if you can locate the fuel pressure release port then you can use a pen to push in the valve. and if fuel comes out (even while not running) then you have fuel , it'll look simialr to a tire valve (be wery of air conditioning lines they also look the same). it'll be located on a fuel line, just unscrew the cap and press the valve, also check your spark plugs , they may have become fuel fouled while trying to start the engine.

also make sure you have no vacuum leaks , a bad vacuum leak will sound like a hiss , this will cause there to be too much air and not enough fuel

I still say everyone is putting to much thought in this

Get a new flux capacitor

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"pack93z" wrote:
    sure you didn't drop the distributor 180 out?

how did it run before you took the distributor out? why did you take the distributor out?
    As mentioned, it was a rebuild today.. everything went fine until we got to firing it up.. at first it started up but was running very rough.. so then we stopped rechecked all the wiring, the timing mark to the compression stroke and cap placement to the # 1 cylinder.. after checking everything we went to start it again.. as of this moment we can't get it to fire up. If we advance the rotation of the distro it acts like it wants to fire, but won't after a quarter of a turn. To me, I want to flip the cap around 180 and then try it.. but pops disagrees, so we stopped and I thought I would research it.. in addition thought I would ask here.. suggestions.

hmm after rereading this it sounds like you may not be getting any spark... to check this remove 1 spark plug, reconnet the spark plug wire and rest the spark plug against the exhaust manifold (or another type of "ground") the crank the engine and watch for the spark . if you have no spark then i suspect the ignition module , which is very common .

if you have spark then test for fuel pressure, you can do this by spraying carb cleaner into the intake manifold while cranking it. or if you can locate the fuel pressure release port then you can use a pen to push in the valve. and if fuel comes out (even while not running) then you have fuel , it'll look simialr to a tire valve (be wery of air conditioning lines they also look the same). it'll be located on a fuel line, just unscrew the cap and press the valve, also check your spark plugs , they may have become fuel fouled while trying to start the engine.

also make sure you have no vacuum leaks , a bad vacuum leak will sound like a hiss , this will cause there to be too much air and not enough fuel
    We checked for fuel pressure and the vacum line as well.. we have good spark and have checked it on random cylinders.. like I mentioned we had it fired and running.. rough but running.. the module was replaced along with the plugs, wires, cap and cover.. it has us stratching our head.. after it fired the first time all we did at that point was pull the plugs.. recheck them and put them back in.. and rechecked the wires to match sure that we had the correct order...

To me.. it just doesn't make sense.. but reading some of the different forum posts around they talk about disconnecting the brown wire on the firewall passenger side.. what actually does that do?

I am at a loss.. do this more for the hobby but this one is for a purpose.. to but my truck back on the road.. thanks again for the suggestions..

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast