VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

FREE protection for your computer

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post...I'm not asking for help, but rather giving some links to free programs you can use on your home computers for protection against viruses, spyware, etc.

[size=13pt]Avira AntiVir[/size]

I used to pay $50/year for Symantec (which is very good). I've been using Avira's personal free edition for a few months now, and it's been working out fine. You just have to make sure that the automatic updates are activated (to maintain updated virus protection).

This program will not protect you from spyware or malware...they offer a paid version for that. But I would recommend Spybot Search & Destroy, which is also free.

[size=13pt]Spybot S&D[/size]

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with either of these websites, just passing along some good things that are working well for me...and best of all, they're free. ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: FREE protection for your computer

Spybot rocks.

Update is once a week and you a golden.
    Blocks pages silently.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Spybots the best i've used.
    So good we even use it at work now too.
    Helps scan for spyware, you can immunize your system to prevent problems in the future, its great.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

my computer doesn't like protection

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this post...I'm not asking for help, but rather giving some links to free programs you can use on your home computers for protection against viruses, spyware, etc.

I used to pay $50/year for Symantec (which is very good). I've been using Avira's personal free edition for a few months now, and it's been working out fine. You just have to make sure that the automatic updates are activated (to maintain updated virus protection).

This program will not protect you from spyware or malware...they offer a paid version for that. But I would recommend Spybot Search & Destroy, which is also free.

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with either of these websites, just passing along some good things that are working well for me...and best of all, they're free. ;D
    Avast is also free and probably one of the best out there for home users for what it covers.
    www.avast.com

When I was on windows, I used Lavasoft's products with success, but not free.
    For free, SpyBot is nice.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    my computer doesn't like protection
    So that is why your computer has herpes

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Webby" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

[size=13pt]Avast[/size] is also free and probably one of the best out there for home users for what it covers.
    www.avast.com

When I was on windows, I used Lavasoft's products with success, but not free.
    For free, SpyBot is nice.
    Gotta agree. Plus it's not a resource hog like Norton. I have Avast, Spybot & Adaware on all my computers now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"