Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

External Hard Drive suggestions?

Need to buy a few external hard drives, large capacity. Have had varying degrees of success/failure in the past with these.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart. It seems to be fine.

marstc09 wrote:
    I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart. It seems to be fine.
    I was thinking of going that route. Seems like the expensive ones just have faster data transfer and there's nothing that great about them. Maybe a computer guru can enlighten me.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

HEY
    HEY is online now Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

My latest hard drive died on me and I lost 500 Mb of media. :blink: d'oh!

I recommend that you buy a SSD drive. SSD is the new thing on the market and it will replace the old drives as it has a higher mechanical reliability than other HHD drives. This is because of the lack of moving parts which almost eliminates the risk of "mechanical" failure. SSD also operates faster than old drives.

The disadvantage of SSD is the capacity which is currently lower than the other hard drives.

I definitely recommend SSD if are going to use it with your laptop or carry it around a lot because the SSD also has higher ability to endure shock, high altitude, vibration and extremes of temperature.

As for brands, I don't like LaCie from personal experience (see top of the post)

HEY wrote:
    My latest hard drive died on me and I lost 500 Mb of media. :blink: d'oh!

I recommend that you buy a SSD drive. SSD is the new thing on the market and it will replace the old drives as it has a higher mechanical reliability than other HHD drives. This is because of the lack of moving parts which almost eliminates the risk of "mechanical" failure. SSD also operates faster than old drives.

The disadvantage of SSD is the capacity which is currently lower than the other hard drives.

I definitely recommend SSD if are going to use it with your laptop or carry it around a lot because the SSD also has higher ability to endure shock, high altitude, vibration and extremes of temperature.

As for brands, I don't like LaCie from personal experience (see top of the post)
    What kind of capacity are we talking? I do need some portable ones like you're saying, but I also need some higher capacity for the home computers (>500 gigs), if that's even considered high capacity anymore...i don't know.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/SSD.htm

read a little bit about the SSD drives, interesting. I had one of those a couple years ago and lost it, small capacity. Didn't even know what it was, just something small that saved data. I'll look into that some more, it appears from this article that their capacity was supposed to go up, but maybe exorbitant in price?

Seems there are many run-of-the-mill external hardrives for desktops that are <$200 with large capacities.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Probably not big enough for your needs, however, the kids got me a Clickfree HD801 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

External Hard Drive

Amazing how simple it is. Has a dual USB cable that comes with it that allowed me to hook both of our laptops to it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    Probably not big enough for your needs, however, the kids got me a Clickfree HD801 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

External Hard Drive

Amazing how simple it is. Has a dual USB cable that comes with it that allowed me to hook both of our laptops to it.
    Thanks, sounds like something I may be interested in. Your link doesn't work though. Seems like I can't get enough backups, I hate losing data.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

External Hard Drive

Thanks, sounds like something I may be interested in. Your link doesn't work though. Seems like I can't get enough backups, I hate losing data.
    My apologies.....Try this one..

Click Free
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg