Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    External Hard Drive suggestions?

    Need to buy a few external hard drives, large capacity. Have had varying degrees of success/failure in the past with these.

    Anyone have any recommendations?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  2. #2
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart. It seems to be fine.

  3. #3
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    marstc09 wrote:
    I bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart. It seems to be fine.
    I was thinking of going that route. Seems like the expensive ones just have faster data transfer and there's nothing that great about them. Maybe a computer guru can enlighten me.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #4
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is online now Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    My latest hard drive died on me and I lost 500 Mb of media. :blink: d'oh!

    I recommend that you buy a SSD drive. SSD is the new thing on the market and it will replace the old drives as it has a higher mechanical reliability than other HHD drives. This is because of the lack of moving parts which almost eliminates the risk of "mechanical" failure. SSD also operates faster than old drives.

    The disadvantage of SSD is the capacity which is currently lower than the other hard drives.

    I definitely recommend SSD if are going to use it with your laptop or carry it around a lot because the SSD also has higher ability to endure shock, high altitude, vibration and extremes of temperature.

    As for brands, I don't like LaCie from personal experience (see top of the post)

  5. #5
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    HEY wrote:
    My latest hard drive died on me and I lost 500 Mb of media. :blink: d'oh!

    I recommend that you buy a SSD drive. SSD is the new thing on the market and it will replace the old drives as it has a higher mechanical reliability than other HHD drives. This is because of the lack of moving parts which almost eliminates the risk of "mechanical" failure. SSD also operates faster than old drives.

    The disadvantage of SSD is the capacity which is currently lower than the other hard drives.

    I definitely recommend SSD if are going to use it with your laptop or carry it around a lot because the SSD also has higher ability to endure shock, high altitude, vibration and extremes of temperature.

    As for brands, I don't like LaCie from personal experience (see top of the post)
    What kind of capacity are we talking? I do need some portable ones like you're saying, but I also need some higher capacity for the home computers (>500 gigs), if that's even considered high capacity anymore...i don't know.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/SSD.htm

    read a little bit about the SSD drives, interesting. I had one of those a couple years ago and lost it, small capacity. Didn't even know what it was, just something small that saved data. I'll look into that some more, it appears from this article that their capacity was supposed to go up, but maybe exorbitant in price?

    Seems there are many run-of-the-mill external hardrives for desktops that are <$200 with large capacities.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    Probably not big enough for your needs, however, the kids got me a Clickfree HD801 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB


    External Hard Drive

    Amazing how simple it is. Has a dual USB cable that comes with it that allowed me to hook both of our laptops to it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    Marrdro wrote:
    Probably not big enough for your needs, however, the kids got me a Clickfree HD801 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB


    External Hard Drive

    Amazing how simple it is. Has a dual USB cable that comes with it that allowed me to hook both of our laptops to it.
    Thanks, sounds like something I may be interested in. Your link doesn't work though. Seems like I can't get enough backups, I hate losing data.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:External Hard Drive suggestions?

    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Probably not big enough for your needs, however, the kids got me a Clickfree HD801 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB


    External Hard Drive

    Amazing how simple it is. Has a dual USB cable that comes with it that allowed me to hook both of our laptops to it.
    Thanks, sounds like something I may be interested in. Your link doesn't work though. Seems like I can't get enough backups, I hate losing data.
    My apologies.....Try this one..

    Click Free
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Two suggestions
    By molineviking in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
  2. External Hard Drive?
    By snowinapril in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 09:52 PM
  3. Suggestions?
    By vikoles in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
  4. NEW COACH SUGGESTIONS HERE!
    By slinkey in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
  5. any suggestions?
    By vegasvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •