Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Computer question

"singersp" wrote:
    I's sure the AOL & ISP's are nothing more than ads to get you to connect to an ISP after you first buy a computer & are part of & on the recovery discs. I just remove them & forget about them.

I use AVAST & don't have any problems. AVAST was recommended by Webby, so I certainly trusted it.

Download AVAST from here;

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

Also download Ad-Aware from Lavasoft;

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Then go here to download Spybot Search & Destroy;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

As previously mentioned, when you run SS & D & it comes up with those AOL & ISP ad's, simply quarantine them.

Majorgeeks.com IMO, is one the best locacations to go to find & download free software.
    Are you just using the trial version of Avast! where the trial ends 60 days later?

I use Comodo(Type into Google), they do a free Firewall/Anti Virus Combo for free, its worked great for me. Setting up the firewall and getting used to how it works took a little time but it works great. They have an entire site of QA and Guides on how to use the software.
    How difficult is it to set it up for a wireless network?

Thanks Josdin

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    I's sure the AOL & ISP's are nothing more than ads to get you to connect to an ISP after you first buy a computer & are part of & on the recovery discs. I just remove them & forget about them.

I use AVAST & don't have any problems. AVAST was recommended by Webby, so I certainly trusted it.

Download AVAST from here;

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

Also download Ad-Aware from Lavasoft;

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Then go here to download Spybot Search & Destroy;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

As previously mentioned, when you run SS & D & it comes up with those AOL & ISP ad's, simply quarantine them.

Majorgeeks.com IMO, is one the best locacations to go to find & download free software.
    Are you just using the trial version of Avast! where the trial ends 60 days later?
    I'm using the Home Version. After 60 days you register (it's still free) & they give you a key that you just cut & paste in & that's good for a year. After a year, they send you another key good for another year. That's free as well.

My computer get's updated on the fly & I have yet to have a virus while using Avast.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Alright. I scanned my computer with SS&D and Malware Anti-Malware neither coming up with any files of concern. I scanned my computer while it was booting w/ Avast and then afterwards. It came up with these files:
    Two in the system volume information\_restore
    One in Updates from HP
    One in Online Services
    I moved to the virus chest... assuming it's the quarantine... is this correct?... and they were all infected with Win32:Adware-gen [adw]... so is this just all adware that is on the computer when you purchase?
    PS: I also downloaded Zone Alarm from Geeksquad

Thanks Josdin

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    Alright. I scanned my computer with SS&D and Malware Anti-Malware neither coming up with any files of concern. I scanned my computer while it was booting w/ Avast and then afterwards. It came up with these files:
    One in Updates from HP
    One in Online Services
    I moved to the virus chest... assuming it's the quarantine... is this correct?... and they were all infected with Win32:Adware-gen [adw]... so is this just all adware that is on the computer when you purchase?
    Quarantining them is the correct thing to do. When it asks for a file name, I usually use the curent date (example for today I would use 031809) so I easily know the sequences.

I don't know what Zone Alarm is, but one thing you don't want to do is have 2 anti-virus S/W running at the same time that fight each other.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "mnvikes61" wrote:
    One in Updates from HP
    One in Online Services
    Quarantining them is the correct thing to do. When it asks for a file name, I usually use the curent date (example for today I would use 031809) so I easily know the sequences.

I don't know what Zone Alarm is, but one thing you don't want to do is have 2 anti-virus S/W running at the same time that fight each other.
    Zone ALarm is a firewall. So is putting those files in the virus chest the same as quarantining them? This is the first AV I've ever seen that doesn't use the word quarantine. That's where the confusion came from.

Thanks Josdin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123