Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Computer question

I've got a quick computer question for all you computer geniuses. I recently restored my computer with recovery discs that was sent by HP. I updated all the windows crap, installed Service Pack 3, installed Windows Defender, and then downloaded and installed Avast from download.com. I had it do a scan when the computer was rebooting and it came up with, I believe, an adware. I'm not entirely sure because I deleted it. Then I did a thorough scan the next day and it came up with an adware in the file that held all the AOL, and ISPs. After this I decided to restore my computer again and see if the same thing happened. Did the exact same thing once my computer was recovered, scanned my harddrive again and those two files came back up. I don't know if anyone will be able to help since I didn't write down the files or what they were infected with. Is this something that is appearing on my harddrive with the original files on the recovery discs, something about where I got Avast from, or could my harddrive be corrupted.

Thanks Josdin

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Computer question

Try downloading [size=13pt]Spybot Search and Destroy[/size]. Once it's set up, run "Check for problems". If there's any spyware or adware, it will pick it up.

I haven't used Avast...I use Avira, which is also free. But these will only protect you from viruses and worms...they won't catch ad/spyware unless you have the premium version. That's why I use spybot, and I run an update and search once a week, works fine.

If these 2 files continue to appear, try to quarantine them if they're not required system files. Good luck.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Try downloading [size=13pt]Spybot Search and Destroy[/size]. Once it's set up, run "Check for problems". If there's any spyware or adware, it will pick it up.

I haven't used Avast...I use Avira, which is also free. But these will only protect you from viruses and worms...they won't catch ad/spyware unless you have the premium version. That's why I use spybot, and I run an update and search once a week, works fine.

If these 2 files continue to appear, try to quarantine them if they're not required system files. Good luck.
    Where do you think I'm picking them up? I figure the ISP one definately is just spam that is on the recovery discs. The other one, I wish I had the file name, I'm not too sure of. I think, this is a shot in the dark, that it was in the HP Update files.

Thanks Josdin

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

Where do you think I'm picking them up? I figure the ISP one definately is just spam that is on the recovery discs. The other one, I wish I had the file name, I'm not too sure of. I think, this is a shot in the dark, that it was in the HP Update files.
    your probably getting it from AVAST... anything you download from a site like download.com has a potential to be infected... or get what you are getting...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "mnvikes61" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

your probably getting it from AVAST... anything you download from a site like download.com has a potential to be infected... or get what you are getting...
    Where else can you download avast?

Thanks Josdin

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Get
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, it is a beast.

Also try some of these...

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=How_did_I

kingjames99 is offline Rookie

If that doesn't work, scrap the PC for a MAC and you'll never look back.
    ;D
    "Purple s a fruit." – Homer J. Simpson

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"kingjames99" wrote:
    If that doesn't work, scrap the PC for a MAC and you'll never look back.
    ;D
    Except when it comes time for repairs, or to play games on it
    ;D

Is there any sites people trust to download avast and Zone Alarm?

Thanks Josdin

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Simple Solution.... Buy a Mac and you'll never go back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast