Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Computer Help Please!

"singersp" wrote:
    How about the main house fuse/circuit breaker? Does a lamp or radio work when plugged into the same outlet?
    Yeah, the power supply is fine b/c other things work from it- and the computer is in my dorm room, and since no one lese complaiend of problems, I assume it has to be something related to just my computer.

How do ya like them apples?!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It's because you are a Red Sox fan...all you have to do is switch allegiance to the Yankees and your computer will magically work again...but be careful, if you just try to fake it, irreparable damage will be caused to your computer, forcing you to buy a brand new one! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    It's because you are a Red Sox fan...all you have to do is switch allegiance to the Yankees and your computer will magically work again...but be careful, if you just try to fake it, irreparable damage will be caused to your computer, forcing you to buy a brand new one! :evil4:
    hahaha, I was thinking that might have something to do w/ it....

Prophet Guest

Del Rio Guest

Do you plug any other USB devices in to know that it was only your MP3 player causing this or is that the only USB device you ever plug into that port?

USB devices draw a small amount of 5.0v current from the bus, through the motherboard. If the board is flaky, this small current draw might be causing a voltage drop, starving some other component on the board. You can sometimes alleviate this kind of problem by installing a better power supply, and by better I don't mean bigger; a top-shelf Antec 330w unit will knock the pants off a No-Name 450w any day of the week.

The current draw of USB is usually negligible, but if the motherboard's power regulation circuitry is already stressed by a "dirty" power supply there might not be all that much juice available on the 5 volt line, forcing the system beyond stable power conditions.

Needless to say, investing in a quality power supply can mean $60 to $80 and there's no easy way to find out ahead of time if it's really going to solve the problem. Also some motherboards are just flawed by design and will exhibit transient glitches no matter what you plug into them.

Any computer store can test your power supply for you. I think even Best Buy can do it.

Thanks a lot Prophet and Del Rio, you guys have been a ton of help.

I normally plug my iPod in and I'm never had any problems. I also have this tiny Sony mp3 player that has reset the computer twice when I've plugged it in- this being the second time. The first time, as I said, it came back on w/o any problems. Maybe this was the 'straw'.

It's nice to know it wasn't anything too serious...

Thanks again guys.

Prophet Guest

No problem. I like how I got first billing in the thank you when Del Rio is the person that figured it out and I just posted a flow chart that someone else made. lol

LOL, didn't mean to slight anyone. I appreciate all the help I can get: DEL RIO................and.........ahem.........Prophe t

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12