Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Computer Help II

Need advice from all the computer pros in pp.o.

I accidentally typed in youtube.cm instead of www.youtube.com. It sent me to a site called viralvideos.org and picked up a trojan called 'HTML:IFrame-inf'. Avast picked it up and deleted it right away. I scanned my computer again and it seemed to be clean, but the computer still seemed to be having some issues.

I decide to restore my computer with discs HP sent me. After it's been restored, I download Avast! and set up a boot scan. Now I have had to do this numerous times and every time Avast picks up some ISP trial software and some other restore files that is 'adware'. I am pretty sure I set the boot scan to automatically send any files to the chest and then go out with some friends. I come back and my computer has turned off while I was out. Only thing I can think of is that I didn't set it to automatically send the files to the chest and it got stuck waiting for a keystroke to decide what to do with the file. I reboot the computer and set up another one because I know I'll be home for the entire scan. Well this time around Avast doesn't pick up anything, which is strange because like I said before I've done this numerous times and it has never not picked up anything it considered adware.

I know it's kind of odd to be freaking out bout your computer not picking up any viruses, but I am somewhat concerned. Anyone have any advice or should I not worry about this at all. Thanks ahead of time

P.S: I also scanned it with Windows Defender (updated) and Spybot- Search and Destroy. Neither of those picked up anything either. Also took out the hyperlinks so no one else has the same problem

Thanks Josdin

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Computer Help II

http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/index/

Try that scan and see what happens. It has always found something on my cpu. Just have to manually go and delete whatever it finds if you don't want to pay (do not pay).

How new is your computer? If whatever virus and spyware protection that came with it is still under warranty, see if they will put it on your computer again. Always keep this stuff as up to date as possible.
    We're bringing purple back.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Download malwarebytes, avast, and spybot sarch and destory,
    and if any of those detect whatever virus you may have, write it down. Then obviously delete it with one of those programs listed above, and find whatever info you can online, if there are specific virus removal programs from say, symantec, use it. If not, I am of no further use.

"gregair13" wrote:

Try that scan and see what happens. It has always found something on my cpu. Just have to manually go and delete whatever it finds if you don't want to pay (do not pay).

How new is your computer? If whatever virus and spyware protection that came with it is still under warranty, see if they will put it on your computer again. Always keep this stuff as up to date as possible.
    My computer is a around 3 years old now. I have heard it can make things worse to just delete them. Do you know if this is true? That scan came up with one medium threat and a couple of low level ones. Have you registered with that site in order to disinfect any files that it located?

Thanks Josdin

*bump*

Thanks Josdin

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

My computer is a around 3 years old now. I have heard it can make things worse to just delete them. Do you know if this is true? That scan came up with one medium threat and a couple of low level ones. Have you registered with that site in order to disinfect any files that it located?
    I have never had a medium level threat from that search, but the low level ones you can just delete. Just search whatever file name it found and delete it. After deleting, scan it again, and delete if anything left. Then reset computer and do it again. If it lists the same stuff that you just deleting coming back, you have a larger problem that I can advise you on.
    We're bringing purple back.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

sometimes you have to turn off your system restore before deleting some spyware/trojans and viruses.
    If you don't when you reboot the registry will bring back the line and it there again.

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    sometimes you have to turn off your system restore before deleting some spyware/trojans and viruses.
    If you don't when you reboot the registry will bring back the line and it there again.
    how do you turn off the system restore?

Thanks Josdin

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    how do you turn off the system restore?
    right click on My Computer....go and click on properties.....click on system restore tab.....check the box next to turn off system restore.

[s]If you[/s]
    when you have things cleaned up and have rebooted with out problems then you can go back and turn the restore back on and set a new restore point

Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion

and also when you install computers DONT have it connected to the internet unless itsbehind a firewall, I usually install virusSW on teh comp before i plug in thenetwork cable. Until you have a virus software running on the comp your streaking naked in bitspace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast