Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anybody feel like proofreading an essay on chemical dependency counselors?

Happy, good work. I think one of your citations is misworded though:

Also, many insurance companies would rather send their client to a treatment program rather than a psychiatrist; this is because it is cheaper to send clients to a psychiatrist (Minnesota Career Information System, Swanson).

I would think it should end with: because it is cheaper to send clients to treatment.

Good luck.

NaryBim is offline Training Camp

"vikinginvirginia" wrote:
    Also, many insurance companies would rather send their client to a treatment program rather than a psychiatrist; this is because it is cheaper to send clients to a psychiatrist (Minnesota Career Information System, Swanson).
    Just some thoughts...

Well, I'm not sure this sentence makes sense (Viking in Virginia's right)--insurance companies would rather send clients to MORE expensive treatment? Really?
    Since when?

You may want to consider dropping the needless expletive constructions and redundancies for a more efficient sentence:
    "Also, many insurance companies would rather send their client to a treatment program than a less (more) expensive psychiatrist (Minnesota Career Information System, Swanson)."

Good luck.
    "When you have fear, bad things happen."
    C. Fason

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"vikinginvirginia" wrote:
    Happy, good work. I think one of your citations is misworded though:

I would think it should end with: because it is cheaper to send clients to treatment.

Good luck.
    hey thanks dude. you are absolutely right, i meant to end it with, "it is cheaper to send clients to a counselor than a psychiatrist"

this is why i ask for proofreaders.
    ;D
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"nickbo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

That's a given! Successfully recovering addicts will tell you that themseves. It is a key element in recovery, as is admitting & accepting that you are powerless over your addiction.

Another fact I will attest to & can share with you, is that most people successful in their recoveries who have dealt with chemical dpendency counselors is that the best counselors are ones who are recovering alcoholics & addicts. Simply because they have experienced it & been through it.

You can read all the books you want about it, but you'll never really comprehend what the disease of addiction actually does to a person.

Personally, I've dealt with 4 different ones. 2 of them were not addicts in recovery & didn't help me one iota. I could feed those two kaka del rio & they would eat it up & believe me.

The other two helped me immensly. The first one wasn't successfull with me, simply because I was trying to quit for someone else besides myself & didn't attend meetings. When I was finally ready & willing, the second one helped me to see the light & I have been sober ever since. It's been 7 years now. Both of the two counselors who were recovering from their disease could see thru the kaka del rio & really knew their stuff.
    That is not a "given". There are many addicts thrust into programs or talked into trying to go sober and straight.
    Most people that have not experienced the devistation, have no comprehension of what is invloved.

I recommmended the book to happycamper as a resource. I am not sure what his background is

You have made some very good points, but as an alcoholic/addicit, you know that there is no "magic cure-all".
    One of the worst things that an alcoholic/addict can do, is to profess that they know all of the answers. I know that I don't.

Congratulations Singer on your 7 years of sobriety !! That is outstanding.

16 years for me.

One of the things that I have a problem with is the term "Alcoholics Anonymous". I don't believe in being anonymous. It is hard for people to find help if they don't know someone to turn to.
    As I highlighted, the part I stated that is "a given" was this statement;

One of the beliefs that I hold, is that unless the addict has a true desire to get better, and to put that above all else, the chances of success are small.
    Those addicts thrust into programs or talked into trying to go sober and straight via court order, to appease loved ones or are coerced into doing so, lack that desire to get better & therefore will not get better until they do.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12