Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bono is offline Hall of Famer

Any computer geeks around here?

I've got some serious questions to ask regarding upgrades, etc, etc.
    Some specifics that I want to know:
    -What's the best model to purchase at this time (i.e. style, memory, price)?
    -I currently have a Windows XP (eMachine...DON'T LAUGH!)...in the meantime, what can I do to keep this one up to speed 'til the "water runs dry"?
    -I have some DVDs that I'd really like to save to my computer, but I'm unable to. Do I need to purchase a DVD burner or something? And if so, where can I cop a cheap one?
    -My itunes, for some odd reason now, won't allow me to access the store (neither will my windows media). It all happened the moment I purchased AVG 8.0 security/virus protection system...I don't know if it is blocking all access to those stores or what.
    -Whenever I input a CD and try to play it, it plays as if it's been chopped and screwed (if any of you know what that means)...it's not until I save the song to my computer, does it play correctly. Why is that?
    -There are certain SPYWARE/ADWARE files that came with my computer that I don't need anymore (it's never been used since the early stages of my purchase of the computer, which has been some years now), should I omit those files or keep them? And if so, will it mess up my computer?

*THERE'S POSSIBLY MORE QUESTIONS TO COME, SO STAY TUNED. THANKS.

Thanks.
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Any computer geeks around here?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

just buy a new one

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

I've been waiting for a good chance to use this pic for years.

[img width=450 height=236]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Forum%20Insults/google-c1an-you-use-it.jpg[/img]

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

1. "Model" depends on what your needs are. High Graphics/Gaming (expensive)? Work/MS Office stuff (cheap)? Somewhere in between? You need to look at price ranges and decide between high, medium, and low end before anybody can give you good advice. Regardless of what you want, it's almost always cheaper to buy all the parts seperately and assemble yourself. I was able to get my memory, mobo, processor, etc.. piece by piece for $2,000 and build a arguably superior system to one that is just starting to hit high-end retail at $4,500. If you don't feel ready to do it manually, don't risk it (it's easier than it looks though).

2. Without specifically knowing what the specs of your e-machine (not laughing, they aren't the joke material that they used to be) are or how much available upgrade slots and configurations you have, this is also difficult to answer. Upgrading and/or adding Memory is the most general improvement that you would likely make. www.newegg.com // www.tigerdirect.com

3. (also probably solves #5) DVD RW+'s run as little as $65 and can read, write, rip, and burn single layer DVD's, Double layer DVD's, and CD's. Just get one. They even sell them at Best Buy (but BB sucks, avoid them on moral grounds). Open you case, disconnect the old one, plug the new one into the same slot. Easiest thing in the world. www.newegg.com EDIT: CHECK THAT!!! Newegg and Tigerdirect sell some for like $15!! Jesus!

4. Not sure on this one. CTRL-ALT-DELETE to your Task Manager and delete the AVG processes (only temporary, calm down) then try to log in to the site. ALternately, look up the FAQ's on the site or Google "AVG" and "iTunes". It's the internet. If you're having the problem, it's a safe bet that at least 100,000 others have encountered it as well and at least 1,000 of them have discovered and posted a fix.

5. See #3. Two birds; one stone.

6. Go to Download.com and look up AD-Aware. Beautiful freewware program that will find and either 'clean' or delete mal/adware.

*Future possible questions will hopefully be accompanied with more specific details. Thanks and good luck!
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Odin, she is saying DVD to computer, not computer to DVD.

Anyway, she has so many issues it has infected her computer.

There is no hope.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Buy one of these, they are hot right now.

[img width=450 height=337]http://enr1que.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/c64c_1.jpg[/img]

"Webby" wrote:
    Odin, she is saying DVD to computer, not computer to DVD.

Anyway, she has so many issues it has infected her computer.

There is no hope.
    Hi Webby,

A DVD RW+ will take a movie off DVD and rip it onto the hard drive in viewable format no problem (actually pretty quickly). I've ripped films (not copyrighted ones, of course) onto my PC and then re-burned the same thing onto a blank DVD a number of times in the past.

Of course, what you're saying about no hope is probably the most pragmatic. With the really bargain prices of PC's nowdays, an outdated and malware-laden PC might as well get replaced for all the hassle it can be worth. Replaced, preferably, with a Quad-Core processor, 2-3 videocards in SLI, and heat-dissipated DDR3 memory mind you...

bono is offline Hall of Famer

wow. thx 4 all the feedback, all! I got a whole lot of work to do...my goodness!
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

"marstc09" wrote:
    Buy one of these, they are hot right now.

[img width=450 height=337]http://enr1que.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/c64c_1.jpg[/img]
    Holy crap! Psygnosis made games for the Apple II?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast