Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: What pieces of the puzzle is missing from the Vikings to win games? Playoffs?

Since it is my opinion that we will be battling games this year, the game of field position will be huge to this years Vikes.

Therefor, I feel we need to improve our kicking game.
    I don't care if that means better kickers, or faster guys who can hit someone as soon as they catch the ball.
    I can live with kicking the ball to the 15 yard line, as long as they can't advance the ball on the return.
    We will win the majority of the games where we win the battle of field position.

Next, we need to make sure the right side of the line is solid.
    Since we will run quite a bit, we might as well force the D to guess left or right.
    Right now, opposing D can key on the run, and better yet, key on a run to the left.
    Not to difficult to stop that.
    Now, I also think it is cool that the left side of the line lines up every down, and says, we are coming at you, try and stop us!!!

I don't think we need a deep threat WR.
    Would I like to have one, yes.
    Do we need one, no.
    I feel we have guys that can take on this role, with some decent protection from the O-Line, and receivers catching the ball.
    BJ has never had a strong arm, but I don't care who we put back there last year, no one has time to make a long pass.

We will surprise teams this year, and I am hoping for 8-8 or better.
    As much as football is a game of skill, luck sometimes comes into play also.

For those of you who miss the high scoring Vikes, this is not the year for you.
    We will be solid, consistent, and hopefully disciplined.
    Grind out the running game, short slant routes, YAC.

ChillyBall......lets see what this year brings!!!!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What pieces of the puzzle is missing from the Vikings to win games? Playoffs?

Welcome to PP.O

Skål

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"KevinK" wrote:
    I feel we just have to many missed tackles in special teams.
    We need to tackle better in our defensive secondary, and we need better play on our oline.
    8-8 this year just pisses me off.
    I want more than Holcumb..... I want results from our team early with a 4-0 start and than a hard 4 game stretch could bring reality to our youngsters.
    But what can we do to help next year if no playoffs this year?
    I live in Connecticut, married ,30 yrs old, 2 kids , retail manager.
    My fathers side is from Minnesota, but havent ben there in 17 yrs.
    My passion is Vikings football.... period.
    Valkommen and SKOL!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the site Keven,

From a fellow Connecticut Yankee and
    Vikings Fan...

Ned

New Britain, CT.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: What pieces of the puzzle is missing from the Vikings to win games? Playoffs

Welcome to the site my newest purple friend. Nice first post.

Post Well and often.

To answer your question, I think I would only add one more piece to COJO's nice reply......

Reps....
    This young team (staff included) needs experience.
    That will come this year. We will be better than we were last year at the onset of the season and will only get better as this team grows together.

Nice post COJO.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    To answer your question...
    Some may argue with me but I don't think it's ONE BIG THING the Vikings are missing. It's several small things.
    1. A kick off guy who can put the ball five yards into the end zone rather than the 10 year line giving every team we play against at lest 15 extra yards of field position.
    2. A punter who can not only "boom" punts but also has a "touch" short kicks to put them out of bounds inside the 10.
    3. A good deep threat at WR
    4. A strong offensive line on the right side.
    None of these positions is "terrible" but they all will lose you games.
    I think most everyone would add to this list a solid QB but I'm still reserving judgement on TJ. I think he's looking good and will be a great NFL quarterback after some seasoning. I'm hoping we picked up the experienced backup we needed for him in Holcomb. It's still to early to tell.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Welcome to the site KevinK, I think COJO hit the nail on the head, and Marrdro talked about experience, both valid opinions. Look forward to reading more of your thoughts on the Vikings. Skol~

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Welcome 2K!
    Glad to have to around!

Skol my friend!

[img width=450 height=360]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/ca_beer_cans.jpg[/img]

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I think TJ will come around and when he does I think we are going to be very dangerous. He is what we need to lead this team into the playoffs.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"KevinK" wrote:
    I feel we just have to many missed tackles in special teams.
    We need to tackle better in our defensive secondary, and we need better play on our oline.
    8-8 this year just pisses me off.
    I want more than Holcumb..... I want results from our team early with a 4-0 start and than a hard 4 game stretch could bring reality to our youngsters.
    But what can we do to help next year if no playoffs this year?
    I live in Connecticut, married ,30 yrs old, 2 kids , retail manager.
    My fathers side is from Minnesota, but havent ben there in 17 yrs.
    My passion is Vikings football.... period.
    ARE not IS...pieces ARE!!!
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What pieces of the puzzle is missing from the Vikings to win games? Playoffs

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    To answer your question...
    Some may argue with me but I don't think it's ONE BIG THING the Vikings are missing. It's several small things.
    1. A kick off guy who can put the ball five yards into the end zone rather than the 10 year line giving every team we play against at lest 15 extra yards of field position.
    2. A punter who can not only "boom" punts but also has a "touch" short kicks to put them out of bounds inside the 10.
    3. A good deep threat at WR
    4. A strong offensive line on the right side.
    None of these positions is "terrible" but they all will lose you games.
    I think most everyone would add to this list a solid QB but I'm still reserving judgement on TJ. I think he's looking good and will be a great NFL quarterback after some seasoning. I'm hoping we picked up the experienced backup we needed for him in Holcomb. It's still to early to tell.
    We HAD all of that:

1 AND 2: Mitch Berger...and we just let him go!
    Thanks Red the Asshole!

3: Randy Moss...and we just traded him for practically nothing!
    Thanks Red the Asshole!

4: Mike Rosenthal...OK, I'm just kidding on that one...BUT only because I think that Cook, Johnson, Herrera and Hicks will somehow figure it out and collectively give the Vikings enough decent play that we will be able to run the ball to the right side just enough to balance out the offense.

I agree that TJack will be solid if not spectacular at times...all he has to do is take care of the football (like he did this preseason...no INTs) and he will be just fine.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast