Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Vikings Expat in Washington DC

Welcome to the site Flidais...and I would like to know the origin of that name.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Flidais is offline Rookie

Originally posted by dfosterf

No No No No No......

Don't listen to THEM !!!!

You don't wanna go to that dump in Crystal City...

You wanna go to Mister Days in Clarendon, especially if the Vikes play the Pack in the playoffs...

Hop on the Orange line, get off at the Clarendon stop. 3100 Clarendon Ave. right by the metro station. Wear a purple 4!
    When did Virginia start letting Packer fans roam freely? :P

I don't have a purple #4 jersey. I generally won't wear Vikings jerseys out of the slightly irrational fear (or so I'm told - I say: Why take the chance?) of jinxing the team. Somewhere though I do have a green #4 jersey from high school. I believe I was hoping for a career ending injury.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that not working out...

Originally posted by VikingMike

Hi VikingMike

I stink at naming things and so even my internet screen names are ancient (because I can never think of anything better). I chose this one after I had to abandon another because of a certain individual who wouldn't stop pestering me. After blocking about 20 of his screen names I bitterly gave up the other one and chose Flidais, a shapershifter from Irish mythology. Because one thinks one is ever so clever in college, I liked the image of a shapershifter while hiding.

In retrospect, pretty lame, I know. But I've grown used to it, love Irish lore and haven't been able to find anything that I've liked better over the years.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Flidais wrote:

Originally posted by VikingMike

Hi VikingMike

I stink at naming things and so even my internet screen names are ancient (because I can never think of anything better). I chose this one after I had to abandon another because of a certain individual who wouldn't stop pestering me. After blocking about 20 of his screen names I bitterly gave up the other one and chose Flidais, a shapershifter from Irish mythology. Because one thinks one is ever so clever in college, I liked the image of a shapershifter while hiding.

In retrospect, pretty lame, I know. But I've grown used to it, love Irish lore and haven't been able to find anything that I've liked better over the years.

Ah, Irish mythology...lots of good stuff there. That's as good an explanation as any, and here she is:

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

DCVikingFan is offline Waterboy

Hi! I am new to the PPO and live in Northern VA! I grew up in Aitkin, MN. Thanks for the info on the places to go to watch the games! It is good to know there are lots of other Viking fans in the DC area!!
    None

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Welcome to the site!

I was just in DC the week before Christmas...

Left because you don't like the snow... How was the 20 incher?!?!? I was there when DC got dumped on! It was ridiculous for a guy like me, from Texas, to see all that snow!

Welcome to the site, post often.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Flidais wrote:
    Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Originally posted by gregair13:
    Welcome to the site!
    There are tons of Vikings fans in the DC area. Hopefully, once you become active here, they will come out of the wood work and invite you out to watch the games. The DC Vikings group is one of the best for sure.
    For sure go to the Crystal City.
    Thanks to both you and Midge Resurrected for the recommendation for Mackey's. If we go far in the playoffs, it will be because we stomped my coworkers' teams and I'll need people to watch with.

And to be honest, I was surprised at how many Vikings fans I stumbled across when I wore a jersey to work for the first time (Thursday is our casual Friday, Fridays are really, really, really casual). Of course, they may have been of the fair-weather variety because it was the Friday after the first Green Bay game, but hey, I'll take the fans I can get.

Originally posted by Marrdro:
    By the way, you are forgiven for openly stating you like the Noodle if you live up to this.....
    Hehe. Technically, I didn't say I liked the Noodle. I said I was grudgingly grateful that because of him, I was getting the opportunity to watch more Vikings games. Which is unfortunately true. Even when we had the amazing season in 1998, there weren't more than 2 or 3 games on in this area.

However, to the vast amusement of everyone who heard me complain when we first signed him, I will confess he's grown on me. Like a bad fungus, but still...
    Don't listen to Marrdro. Only a couple people actually hate him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12