Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Flidais is offline Rookie

Vikings Expat in Washington DC

Hi everybody:

(Does anyone else immediately think "Hi Dr. Nick" right after hearing that?)

I've been lurking on the site for a couple of months now and finally decided to join up today. It seems like a great place to hang out and I definitely don't have enough Vikings fans to talk to around here.

A little about me:
    I grew up a Vikings fan in North Dakota but moved to Maryland to go to undergrad school. After falling in the love with the idea of spending the rest of my winters with little to no snow on the ground, I moved up to DC for graduate school and have been here ever since.

While I will admit the lack of snow is spectacular, as far as football went, the NFC North might as well have just fallen off the face of the planet for all I saw of it after the move. I struggled to keep up with it, but after I made the move to DC in 2003-ish, it got too hard to keep an eye on the Vikings and I lost interest in the NFL. The Redskins will do that to you.

Then, finally, last year I got a new job and to my relief came across a bunch of coworkers from all over the country who watched football. I've since picked the NFL back up and, while it kills me to say this, I have to be grateful that Favre is on the Vikings, because I have caught more Vikings games on TV this year than I have seen since I lived at home in North Dakota. Next year, whether my husband likes it or not, I'm getting RedZone.

Since it is frowned upon to openly sit and chat with one's coworkers about football for more than an hour or two at a time, I started reading more on the Internet and came across PurplePride.org.

Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute myself to the community and relieve another Vikings fan's boring workday.

It's my version of "Pay it forward."

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Vikings Expat in Washington DC

Flidais wrote:
    Hi everybody:

(Does anyone else immediately think "Hi Dr. Nick" right after hearing that?)

Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute myself to the community and relieve another Vikings fan's boring workday.

It's my version of "Pay it forward."
    Valkommen and SKOL!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Re: Vikings Expat in Washington DC

Welcome!

And if in the D.C. area ... try the home of the Northern Virginia Vikings Fan Club for games ... Mackey's in Crystal City.

I personally have not been able to get there since I have a 2-year-old and 3-month-old ... but I went back in my single and childless days and must say that there is nothing quite like getting with 100+ fans cheering for the right team on Sundays.

Welcome to the site and Skol!
    None

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

welcome to the site

SKOL!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the site!
    There are tons of Vikings fans in the DC area. Hopefully, once you become active here, they will come out of the wood work and invite you out to watch the games. The DC Vikings group is one of the best for sure.
    For sure go to the Crystal City.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Welcome to the site my newest purple and gold friend.

Post well and often. Judging by that first post, I am sure you will.

By the way, you are forgiven for openly stating you like the Noodle if you live up to this.....

I to while away the hours at work by using PPO as a source of entertainment.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Flidais is offline Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Originally posted by gregair13:
    Welcome to the site!
    There are tons of Vikings fans in the DC area. Hopefully, once you become active here, they will come out of the wood work and invite you out to watch the games. The DC Vikings group is one of the best for sure.
    For sure go to the Crystal City.
    Thanks to both you and Midge Resurrected for the recommendation for Mackey's. If we go far in the playoffs, it will be because we stomped my coworkers' teams and I'll need people to watch with.

And to be honest, I was surprised at how many Vikings fans I stumbled across when I wore a jersey to work for the first time (Thursday is our casual Friday, Fridays are really, really, really casual). Of course, they may have been of the fair-weather variety because it was the Friday after the first Green Bay game, but hey, I'll take the fans I can get.

Originally posted by Marrdro:
    By the way, you are forgiven for openly stating you like the Noodle if you live up to this.....
    Hehe. Technically, I didn't say I liked the Noodle. I said I was grudgingly grateful that because of him, I was getting the opportunity to watch more Vikings games. Which is unfortunately true. Even when we had the amazing season in 1998, there weren't more than 2 or 3 games on in this area.

However, to the vast amusement of everyone who heard me complain when we first signed him, I will confess he's grown on me. Like a bad fungus, but still...

dfosterf is offline Coach

No No No No No......

Don't listen to THEM !!!!

You don't wanna go to that dump in Crystal City...

You wanna go to Mister Days in Clarendon, especially if the Vikes play the Pack in the playoffs...

Hop on the Orange line, get off at the Clarendon stop. 3100 Clarendon Ave. right by the metro station. Wear a purple 4!

j/k :P

Welcome to the site, and skol!

(Yes, It's an awesome Packers bar)

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Yikes, not sure I could handle a Packer bar during a border battle. It would push me over the edge.

Welcome Flidais to our PURPLE Cyber Valhalla.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast