Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    English Vike is offline Starter

long distance viking

as you may be able to tell from my cunning nickname i am english which must be something of a rarity amongst nfl fans, i'm 19, law student, from brighton on the very south coast of england right below london.

before last seasons pats/panthers superbowl i'd never seen a minute of american football, a friend of mine followed it and i watched it with him as i'm a big sports fan and will watch anything on really. as we were watching he was explaining the rules to me and i found myself thinking ah this is one hell of a sport, i stayed up till 4am watching the whole thing and then was slightly annoyed it was so long till the season started again.

over the summer i bought madden '05 for my ps2 and had some fun on that and when the season started again i was interested to see it. i watched the first couple of games that were shown and put a £5 (about $12 or something i think) bet on the eagles to win the superbowl to keep a bit of interest.

i got more and more into it as the season went along and towards the end i was watching 3 games a week, at this point i had no team to follow specifically other than hoping the eagles would win for my bet.

however one night i settled down to watch the game and it happened to be vikings v packers, i started out neutral but it was annoying me so much that the vikings seemed to be far superior but the packers still won. this kicked something off inside me which just made me really angry and really wanted the vikings to come out on top of the packers overall. so in the following weeks i was following the vikings games much closer than any others, reading a little about the team online and was happy to see them into the playoffs to get a shot at the packers.

the playoff vikings/packers game was shown live here and i realised i was hooked, from the very start i found myself jumping up and down and shouting at the tv in support of the vikes and was ecstatic when they won.

next game against the eagles i continued in the same excitable way going crazy for the vikings, despite it going against my bet, which really made me realise that this was my team! sad to see them lose but was happy to have found a new passion in life.

to feed my fix in the off season so far i've had to use the internet as nothing off nfl gets reported here in any other form of media. but if anything this has only stoked the fires. i know far more about the team now than i did during the season thanks to reading about it rather than watching a couple of games. I watched most of the combine via nfl.com despite not really having much of a clue what was going on and since then i've been reading lots about the draft and the free agency.

i searched on the net for a vikings message board last night and was happy to find this awesome looking site! i spent most of the evening refreshing the draft/fa board in order to follow any possible viking moves and was still up at about 2am our time when we signed pat williams and was delighted.

god i've gone on a long time there! i'm sorry, some of you may want to wait for the paperback edition of that before you read it lol, but in short, i may not know much, but oh how i love my new vikings :cheers:

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

long distance viking

Whaaay .... another brit on the board .... thats makes at least three of us now !!!

Welcome to board English Vike, you'll enjoy your time here - apart from the odd spelling problem they're really not a bad bunch here :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

long distance viking

wahay! 3 is quite an impressive number really, who's the other one? love that st georges with the vike in the middle. nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome, and the tip off on the spelling i notice the confusion between english football and rugby on the introductions thread as well. how did you get into nfl in the first place as a brit?

Blog Entries

long distance viking

"English Vike" wrote:
    wahay! 3 is quite an impressive number really, who's the other one? love that st georges with the vike in the middle. nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome, and the tip off on the spelling i notice the confusion between english football and rugby on the introductions thread as well. how did you get into nfl in the first place as a brit?
    The other is the infamous Moss Deep, if you read 'PurplePride the Movie' thread in the suggestion box then you'll see some of his handywork there..

First saw the Vikes when they played a pre-season game at Wembley back in '83 and been with them ever since. If you're up to the early hours updating FA boards and such then you'll have a great time on here. The board is usually busy late afternoon and then all evening ( US time ), so you'll find plenty of people on here.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

long distance viking

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Whaaay .... another brit on the board .... thats makes at least three of us now !!!

Welcome to board English Vike, you'll enjoy your time here - apart from the odd spelling problem they're really not a bad bunch here :lol:
    You guys (along with some of the Canucks) that have the spelling issues here (since you are in the minority)...you guys need to get organized (instead of organised)...no offense (not offence), but we might have to start some spelling tutorials on here for you guys (as well as some of our American posters...who are just as bad...LOL)...I would include most of the Packer posters here also, but they are too far gone to benefit from any sort of tutorial...LOL

Just kidding, my fellow Viking fans from across the pond...keep on giving us your unique perspectives on our great sport of American football and our even greater team...the Mighty Minnesota Vikings!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

long distance viking

Welcome aboard, English Vike! It's great to have another "foreigner" from across the pond on our side! Good to know that AngloVike has a "friend" to play with!

2005 will be an exciting year for our boys, so hang on tight for a fun ride!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

long distance viking

Oh, by the way, UltraVikingFan should be along shortly to give you your free beer (whether it be alcoholic or root)!

What IS the drinking age in Britain anyway?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

long distance viking

Welcome and drink up, chap!

Blog Entries

long distance viking

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Oh, by the way, UltraVikingFan should be along shortly to give you your free beer (whether it be alcoholic or root)!

What IS the drinking age in Britain anyway?
    18 ... we start them early here :drunken:

long distance viking

cheers guys! lovely to be here

off to a good start with 20 posts in my first day

and these days it seems we start them somewhat younger than 18....if not legally

when i have some time i'll make my own england/vikings flag to have by my name, will try and make something a little different to yours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast