Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey there!

Admiral is offline Training Camp

Hey there!

Hello everyone! I've just placed my first real post here on the forums (and it's become quite a wall of text :P), so I figured I should indtroduce myself as well. Anyway I've been reading these forum for I guess a couple of years now, and I finally decided to register and start posting a bit. It should be nice to be able to voice my opinions about the vikings and football in general, since here in Enschede, The Netherlands I don't really know any football fans to talk with, let alone vikings faithfull. So, I hope I can add something to the forums here and I hope I don't annoy anyone (too much ) with my opinions.

Greets,
    Admiral

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Hey there!

Welcome to the site!
    Hope you have fun.
    Don't worry about annoying anyone, most of us are annoying, it's one of the qualifications.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

Welcome Admiral!
    Its always nice to see the reach of PPO and our Vikings.
    Skol Vikings!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the site. I went to a house party on new years where the girl's parents were dutch. nice people.

Finally signed up! What took you so long and what made you finally decide to start posting?
    We're bringing purple back.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome.

What took me so long... well when I first became a Vikings fan I was still a member of an amateur american football team here in holland, and the Amsterdam Admirals still existed, so I did have some people to talk football with. However NFL Europa folded and I moved away from Amsterdam which forced me to quit my own team as well. So I used to just check here for news and facts, never really felt the need to voice my opinions.

And about what finally made me decide to post... I actually was sort of reviewing the roster for myself, to see what I thought should happen in the offseason. I figured I might as well write that down, and once I did, I figured I might as well share it here and maybe get some reactions . Felt kinda good to talk football again so I guess I will be posting more often if I have something to say.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

it always feels good to football. Welcome again.
    You will love it here. Be active!
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    it always feels good to football. Welcome again.
    You will love it here. Be active!
    I'll try .

Since I've got nothing to do for about another 40 minutes I'll explain how I became a Vikings fan, since some may wonder how you become a fan of a team in a country you've never even visited :P.

It all started in 2003 (I was 15), when all children had to get vaccinated against meningitis (or something, don't remember the details). This happened in the local (soccer) stadium, the Amsterdam ArenA. Aside from resident soccer team Ajax, the ArenA was also home to the Amsterdam Admirals, an NFL Europe team. At the vaccination, the Admirals were giving away free tickets to a game. I figured it wouldn't hurt to go check it out and went together with a classmate. I was instantly sold on the game's combination of sophisticated tactics and contact. Even though I didn't understand half of the rules yet, we continued to visit games, and I started playing Madden. That year the leader of the explosive Admirals offence was one Shaun Hill, third string quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings. Shaun was flinging TD after TD to one Matthew Hatchette, who was a receiver with the Jacksonville Jaguars at the time (it wasn't untill a couple years later that I learned that Hatchette was once a Viking as well). As the season went on I started to check out some websites about football and I found Hill's journal on the Vikings homepage. One thing pretty much lead to another and when the NFL season started I began to follow the Vikings and Jaguars games. While I never saw Hill again outside the preseason (untill recently), I started to feel connected to the purple and gold, where the Culpepper-Moss connection reminded me of Hill-Hatchette (except ten times better of course). I first followed the game by watching the NFL.com live stats and the video highlights, later started listening to the field pass radio broadcasts, and eventually even went to a sports bar to watch my first live Vikings game (the 2004 playoff loss to the Eagles). A year or two later I found a way to watch online streamed games (in crappy quality but still), and nowadays I watch every Vikings game and some others through NFL Game Pass HD in awesome quality.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

If I am not mistaken don't we have a couple people here from the Netherlands?

Welcome

gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach

Welcome to the best Vikings site on the net.

Thanks PPE for the Sig

Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast