Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    romanswinter is offline Waterboy

Fresh blood has stepped aboard the longship....

Greetings Vike fans. I have been following these boards now for a few months, and although its nice to be around other Viking fans, I still seem like im the only one looking in the right direction. I dont live in MN, I live in NY, so maybe my perspective is unjaded because I am not tainted by the local media blitz and propaganda.
    I have been a vikings fan since I was a kid (Im 27 now), and never have I ever felt more doom for this team then when Daunte Culpepper took over as the QB. Dennis Green did a great job with this team, defining and shaping its attitude going into the 90s. Once a proud defensive machine, those days were behind us. Although under Green we had some stable Defense with the likes of Randle and Henry, Del Rio, Robert Griffith, Dwayne Washington etc etc, Offense was the pinnacle of this team.
    Odin send his children a gift, one that rivaled even Thor's hammer... its name was Randy Moss. With the power of Randy Moss, players like Randall Cunningham, who was installing marble kitchen counters could become superhero's again and win Comeback player of the year. Chronic under achiever Jeff George could fulfill his destiny and become a quarterback who throws touchdowns downfield like he was expected to do his whole career, yet always managed to fail.
    Why then was I afraid when Daunte Culpepper was handed this gift that brought success to the dim lights of RC and JG? Because from the first game I saw Daunte Culpepper start in, vs Miami in the opening game, it was clear that DC did not have then, nor would ever have the capability to run an offense. He has all the physical tools, no doubt about it. Strength, speed, size, a decent arm, tough to bring down. But where he lacks, is what most championship QBs always have. Daunte lacks the ability to manage an offense and read defensive coverage accuratly. DC is easily confused, and cannot maintain control over defenses that make him think to much. Having a failsafe like Randy Moss will help anyone when faced with tough situations, but it was clear that even that was not enough for DC to strive in.
    I have waited for the day that the Vikes left this guy behind and moved on without him. You can say all you want about how the team gelled better later in the season, the running game got better, the defense got better.... but there is no other proof needed then the way Brad Johnson was able to come into the starting role, and manage the team the way a QB is supposed to manage an offense. He didnt try and carry the team on his back, he simply ran he plays, read the field, and made the best decisions he could make play after play. By the way, Brad Johnson has a ring to show for his efforts. I am not saying Brad Johnson is the future of this team, nor even the present. But going back to DC is a mistake for the Vikings, both on and off the field. Money wise, DC's contract is out of control for his performance in the post Randy Moss era. Secondly, the QB is supposed to be a leader and face of this team... we dont need this Sex Boat perverser as the face of our franchise.
    I thought most viking fans felt and understood this as well. Coming here I was shocked to see the support for DC, and quite frankly dont understand. Every big game this guy has played in, he fell horribly. He has not had consistent back to back seasons, and how many losses can you blame soley on DC compared to other players on this team. Whether it be his constant fumbling, his bad decision making, or his errant desperate throws (although not as bad as Favre)... DC is just bad news for this franchise or any other who thinks he can lead them to the Superbowl.

-Severnie
    Reporter: How do you plan on paying for the fine?
    Randy Moss: Straight cash homie!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Fresh blood has stepped aboard the longship....

WOW! Prodigious first post there, romanswinter!

I respect your analysis...but you have gotta respect the other side of the coin...Daunte has shown that he can play the game in his time here...yes, he makes mistakes when he forces the issue, but he does have a high completion percentage to his credit and has played well in the past. He also has never had a decent defense to hold leads for him and had to force things many times to play catchup after the crappy defense let the other team get leads.

Now don't get me wrong...maybe we SHOULD trade him and stick with Brad next season...maybe what we need is a veteran QB who manages games more than wins them himself...a QB who doesn't leave our defense out on the field so much because of stupid fumbles and interceptions...but Culpepper may still be that man...he sure looked like it season before last when he would have been the MVP if not for Peyton Manning's incredible season.

The jury is still out on whether Pep can regain his form...the real arbiter of this will be Coach Childress and the Vikings front office...only they really KNOW whether Pep's style will fit the new coaching staff's...only they can make an informed decision regarding Pep's future here. So until then, his fans will support him and his detractors will push for him to be traded...but that is what makes this site so good...the fact that BOTH sides of the coin will be adequately represented here and the fact that the issue will be thoroughly debated here long before the Vikings reach their final decision.

Keep on posting...just be prepared to defend your position!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

eclipse_2303 is offline Starter

Yeah those 4800 passing yards and 39 TD passes and 11 INT in 2004 were just horrible...ecspecially when he did that with moss out 5 1/2 games...my goodness he is horrible!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

is brad johnson good enough to run the west coast offense? hell no. who is to say that the next play after DC got hurt, if he didnt get hurt, that that was the play that would turn our 1-3(at the time) season around and we run the board? we gelled at the end of the season because we had more time together. all good teams get better as the season rolls on.
    from what i hear from you, you would want us to trade daunte to one of the top 5 teams so we can draft vince or matt. is that correct? if so, they would sit on the bench for a year behind BJ. and we would be 3-4 years away from being a for real contender. daunte comes back next year, and we look like a threat for the superbowl.
    the year before last when he was in mvp form, where you calling for his head? didnt think so. we all know that he can return to that form and thats why, as it seems, most of us want him back.

welcome to the site btw.
    We're bringing purple back.

romanswinter is offline Waterboy

^^^^^^^
    I have bee calling for his head since the moment he took the field and RUSHED for 3 TDs passed for 0 in his first game as viking starting QB. Along with Cris Carter at the time, I too wish they would have kept Jeff George believe it or not. When the Vikes signed him to a 10yr deal not to long ago, i sighed and said "well there goes a decade where I know the vikes will never win". It's just my opinion. I hope they trade him, and I dont care about drafting one of the big star rookie QBs. Honestly, I would love to get Chad Pennington in the purple in gold. Trade back for moss and reunite the Marshal Boys Then we have a Superbowl chance
    Reporter: How do you plan on paying for the fine?
    Randy Moss: Straight cash homie!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Welcome to PP.O!

Skol

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Welcome romanswinter!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have bee calling for his head since the moment he took the field and RUSHED for 3 TDs passed for 0 in his first game as viking starting QB.

Yep, that was the Chicago season opener. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we WIN that game, and then go 8-0 to start the season (finished 11-5)? That was also the first year he was named NFC starting QB in the probowl, wasn't it? Nothing like jumping in with both feet on your first post! LOL!

If you were calling for his head after that season, then you obviously were judging him on something none of the rest of us saw!

Welcome to PP.O. Looking forward to debating with you for many seasons to come...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Wow, great first post! Keep it up and you'll find yourself a great contributer here. Welcome aboard. SKOL!
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

eclipse_2303 is offline Starter

Chad Pennington? Come on man gimme a break, I would rather have Vinny Testeverde as the franchise QB, hed end up playin more in one year than Pennington would in 3.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast