Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DJDozier is offline Waterboy

From the bowels of Odin

Apparently I was supposed to post here before anywhere so...

Hiya everyone, HUGE Vikings fan here, live in the PNW. My fondest Vikings memory: in '98, when the almighty Vikes crushed the pack in Lambeau. Worst: yeah, same season, conference championship. No woman has ever broken my heart as completely as that loss.

My thoughts on the coming season: We will contend. TJ will improve, not greatly but enough. The o-line has some holes that need to be filled and a pass-catching TE would do wonders. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in Chili. I find his coaching style too rigid and lacking imagination. In this era of NFL, a coach has to adapt, be flexible and get creative sometimes. He doesn't seem to be able to do that. As long as he's the coach we are a limited team. I'd love it if I was proven wrong but I don't think that'll happen.

In the meantime..... SKOL!

(pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does "skol" mean?)

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: From the bowels of Odin

Welcome to PP.O!
    Post well and post often.

As to your question:

Meaning
    Skol (written skål in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish, and sometimes "Skoal" in English) is the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish word for a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group. The meaning of the Scandinavian skalli/skalle: skal means simply "shell" and skál/skål "bowl". There is a popular misconception that the toast comes from the mythical habit of Vikings to drink from cups made from the skulls of their defeated enemies.

"Skol, Vikings" is the fight song of the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. It was introduced around the time the team was founded in 1961. The words and music are attributed to Red McCloud, a composer from Edina, Minnesota.

The old recording is usually played whenever the team scores, accompanied by cheerleaders carrying flags that spell out the team's name, as per the lyrics.

Go Vikings! Let's win this game
    Go Vikings! Honor your name
    Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown
    Rock 'em, sock 'em, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! FIGHT!
    Go Vikings, run up the score, you'll hear us yell for more!
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Go Vikings, let's go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skol,_Vikings

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Welcome to the site DJ! Nice to meet you, you'll love it here
    ;D

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Welcome to the boards, fellow Pacific Northwesterner!

I hope you're wrong about Childress, but time will tell. Hopefully we'll finally be able to discern this year whether the vanilla offense is Childress's doing, or lack of the offensive personnel executing. Time may tell. You do have to give the coaching staff some credit for their occasional trick plays thoug, which worked more often than not (except when, say certain tight ends drop balls
    :). These plays are undoubtedly creative.

I am personally more concerned with the ability to adjust the game plan throughout a contest than creativity.

At any rate, Welcome to the site! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

welcome to the site

SKOL!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    Welcome to PP.O!

As to your question:

Meaning
    Skol (written skål in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish, and sometimes "Skoal" in English) is the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish word for a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group. The meaning of the Scandinavian skalli/skalle: skal means simply "shell" and skál/skål "bowl". There is a popular misconception that the toast comes from the mythical habit of Vikings to drink from cups made from the skulls of their defeated enemies.

"Skol, Vikings" is the fight song of the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. It was introduced around the time the team was founded in 1961. The words and music are attributed to Red McCloud, a composer from Edina, Minnesota.

The old recording is usually played whenever the team scores, accompanied by cheerleaders carrying flags that spell out the team's name, as per the lyrics.

Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Go Vikings, let's go!

i think you meant

Skol, Vikings! Let's win this game.
    Skol, Vikings! Honor your name.
    Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown,
    Rock 'em, sock 'em, fight, fight, fight, fight!
    Go, Vikings! Run out the score;
    You'll hear us yell for more.
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S!
    Skol
    , Vikings! Let's go!

the wikipedia site has it wrong
    i took the liberty of editing it for all future users

(i can't believe how easy it is to edit Wiki content.
    wow....)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Welcome to PP.O, DJDozier!

We have a "sticky" thread on what SKOL means......

[size=13pt]Want to know what "SKOL" means?[/size]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Welcome to the site my newest purple friend.

Post well and often.

By the way, never ask for pardon when asking a question in earnest.
    Almost everyone on here is here to learn more about our team and the game we all love.

Heck for that matter, there are alot of people on here who think they know everything.
    You will figure them out and just ignore them like I do cause I sure the hell know I am the only one on here that is of that stature.
    (JK
    ;D)

Enjoy the site my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    Welcome to PP.O!

As to your question:

Meaning

Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Go Vikings, let's go!

Not a big deal (and I know you got it from Wikipedia) but the song actually goes "Skol Vikings" instead of "Go Vikings"
    I need to go on Wikipedia and change that because I have seen it quoted on here several times from there incorrectly.

Skol Vikings! Let's win this game
    Skol Vikings! Honor your name
    Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown
    Skol Vikings, run up the score, you'll hear us yell for more!
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Skol Vikings, let's go!

You can go to this site and download the actual song (I have it on my cell phone) and listen to it.
    Even though the sound quality is suspect (that is part of what makes that song what it is though) you can definitely tell they are saying "Skol Vikings".

http://www.kansasviking.com/downloads.html

I also have the first "Vikings Horn" on my cell phone to announce when ever I get a new email or voicemail it gives me the Vikings horn.
    At one time I had the Vikings horn set up on a loop as my cell phone ring, but that got kind of annoying quickly.

I hope you enjoy.

Welcome to the site, and Skol.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    Welcome to PP.O!

As to your question:

Meaning

Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Go Vikings, let's go!

i think you meant

Skol, Vikings! Let's win this game.
    Skol, Vikings! Honor your name.
    Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown,
    Rock 'em, sock 'em, fight, fight, fight, fight!
    Go, Vikings! Run out the score;
    You'll hear us yell for more.
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S!
    Skol
    , Vikings! Let's go!

the wikipedia site has it wrong
    i took the liberty of editing it for all future users

(i can't believe how easy it is to edit Wiki content.
    wow....)
    Oops I guess I was a little slow on getting my above post done, you had already addressed this.
    I was going to also go to Wikipedia and try to edit (I have never done so), but you got that handled as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast