Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: World's Biggest Patriot Fan Here.....

Welcome Lomo2go

That's a pretty good breakdown of what could happen. The running game be deciding. I think if we're to have succes against your D, regardless of Seymore, we need to get some runs going up the middle.

It will also be key if you can protect Brady. If he gets time, he'll probably be able to pick holes in our zone.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Lomo2go" wrote:
    Greetings Vikes fans, good luck next Monday. Let's hope for a well played and injury free game.

I see you have met NEM, and he has only made one conspiracy theory remark so far. Some of the guys at Patsfans.com have a hard time with his take on the Pats OC and playcalling, but I think he is a pretty decent dude to have around. Matter of fact I think he has something in the neighborhood of 15000 posts on the site. And how often do you meet a Liberal of his caliber who lives in Arizona? Anyway, enough about Mike.

This game should be a real measuring stick for each team. Hopefully our injury report will improve by gameday, we are currently looking at a less than banner Defensive line and some key players reporting as questionable.

I am most interested in seeing how the run defenses hold up. While I know the Vikes rank 2nd and the Pats rank 6th, those are really something of a paper stat. The only team we played with any kind of running game this year was Denver, and we fared poorly in stopping it. The only team you guys have played with a running game to speak of is Washington, and Portis was coming off injury and only had 10 attempts for about a 4 ypc average. I guess this game will tell the real tale by the end of the night.

I have always liked Brad Johnson. Guy has class and has paid his dues around the league. Did he ever get a pay raise for this year? Sure deserves one for what is being expected of him.

It will be interesting to see how Bethel does for you, guy has lightening speed but never could find a niche in our passing game. Kind of an odd thing when you consider what our wide receiver options were when we traded him to NO.

Curious to see if Maroney plays like fire with coming home to his old stomping ground. As for the rest of the team, I am not sure we have played there since they replaced the astro with the Fieldturf. I do know that Brady and the line have never had an issue with playing in a dome, but thats probably attributed to Belichick making sure he has a disciplined team.

Regardless, good luck, no injuries. My prediction-

Patriots: 17
    Vikes:16
    Au contrere, my Patsy friend...in addition to Portis (#22 rusher in the NFL right now), we also faced Willis McGahee (#4), DeShawn Foster (#10...while sharing carries with DeAngelo Williams), Kevin Jones (#13), and Thomas Jones (#21)...ALL higher on the list than any Patriot RB (granted Dillon and Maroney are splitting carries).
    You gotta give our run D a LITTLE more credit than that.

IF you guys beat us, it will probably be Brady who will be the catalyst.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Lomo2go is offline Waterboy

[glow=red,2,300]Au contrere, my Patsy friend...in addition to Portis (#22 rusher in the NFL right now), we also faced Willis McGahee (#4), DeShawn Foster (#10...while sharing carries with DeAngelo Williams), Kevin Jones (#13), and Thomas Jones (#21)...ALL higher on the list than any Patriot RB (granted Dillon and Maroney are splitting carries).
    [/glow]
    Not yet. While I agree you have faced some good backs, their respective teams as a whole rank fairly low in rushing stats. Hell, if individual running games equated to having a viable team Frank Gore would have the 49'ers looking like champs other than chumps.

While Portis, as I stated earlier, is the exception- and as stated he only took ten touches in that game after injury- the rest are low league ranking running offenses. You played Carolina without the Steve Smith deep threat...easier to load the box.

Carolina ranks 25th in rushing offense.
    Buffalo:23rd in NFL rushing offense
    Detroit:29th in the league (BTW) Your rank on Thomas and Kevin Jones is inaacurate.Thomas is 18 abd Kevin is 21 in the league.
    Chicago:24th in league ranking rushing offense.
    Seattle:Ranked 20th, and you didn't face Alexander.

By ranking standards both of our Rushing defense stats are impressive, but look at the TEAMS rank in rushing offense that we have had success against. No real killers in there. Thats why I said this game should be a good measuring stick.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Yes, it will be a good game. My family is from New Bedford, MA so they have been talking smack to me as well. The Pats are good, no doubt. The 5-1 start is huge.

Bills - Win
    Jets - Win
    Broncos - Loss
    Bengals - Win
    Dolphins - Win
    Bills - Win

jaychamp is offline Waterboy

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Lomo2go" wrote:
    The only team you guys have played with a running game to speak of is Washington, and Portis was coming off injury and only had 10 attempts for about a 4 ypc average.
    Au contrere, my Patsy friend...in addition to Portis (#22 rusher in the NFL right now), we also faced Willis McGahee (#4), DeShawn Foster (#10...while sharing carries with DeAngelo Williams), Kevin Jones (#13), and Thomas Jones (#21)...ALL higher on the list than any Patriot RB (granted Dillon and Maroney are splitting carries).

IF you guys beat us, it will probably be Brady who will be the catalyst.
    Another Pats fan here

I agree with you and he also sold our Pats short too

The only team we played with any kind of running game this year was Denver, and we fared poorly in stopping it.
    We faced McGahee(2nd in the AFC, and 5th in the NFL) twice and shut him down both times.
    We also faced that guy from the Bengals
    :

Anyway....

I'm a little worried about Seymour being out if that's the case.
    Green and Wright are great back ups but they don't demand a double team like Seymour does which makes the entire Dline better.
    Green would be a starter on a lot of teams, but Seymour is one of the best in the entire league.

Saw some posting about Bethel.
    He can return fine, but I'm not worried about him as a receiver.
    He may get behind the defense, but he'll drop it.
    I for one was glad to see him go.
    He actually made some big plays for us, few and far between though and everything in between was awful.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up about him, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

It does look like Brady is starting to finally click with his WR's, and just in time for this game.
    Pats are going to have to pass and pass well to have a chance.
    The Vikes running D is for real and if we can't throw with any consistency, it's going to be a long night.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Lomo2go" wrote:
    [glow=red,2,300]Au contrere, my Patsy friend...in addition to Portis (#22 rusher in the NFL right now), we also faced Willis McGahee (#4), DeShawn Foster (#10...while sharing carries with DeAngelo Williams), Kevin Jones (#13), and Thomas Jones (#21)...ALL higher on the list than any Patriot RB (granted Dillon and Maroney are splitting carries).
    [/glow]
    Not yet. While I agree you have faced some good backs, their respective teams as a whole rank fairly low in rushing stats. Hell, if individual running games equated to having a viable team Frank Gore would have the 49'ers looking like champs other than chumps.

While Portis, as I stated earlier, is the exception- and as stated he only took ten touches in that game after injury- the rest are low league ranking running offenses. You played Carolina without the Steve Smith deep threat...easier to load the box.

Carolina ranks 25th in rushing offense.
    Buffalo:23rd in NFL rushing offense
    Detroit:29th in the league (BTW) Your rank on Thomas and Kevin Jones is inaacurate.Thomas is 18 abd Kevin is 21 in the league.
    Chicago:24th in league ranking rushing offense.
    Seattle:Ranked 20th, and you didn't face Alexander.

By ranking standards both of our Rushing defense stats are impressive, but look at the TEAMS rank in rushing offense that we have had success against. No real killers in there. Thats why I said this game should be a good measuring stick.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason their rushing attacks are so low is BECAUSE we did
    good job shutting them down?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason their rushing attacks are so low is BECAUSE we did
    good job shutting them down?
    Ah, no. I do not think that the one game played against either the Vikings or the Patriots caused their collective rushing stats to plummet to the depths of the league.

Individual stats are great for fantasy teams, they don't mean shit most of the time in the W/L column or the teams capacity as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that either the Patriots or the Vikes lack a run defense, I am just saying I don't see how it has been adequately tested yet.

Another Pats fan here

I agree with you and he also sold our Pats short too

We faced McGahee(2nd in the AFC, and 5th in the NFL) twice and shut him down both times.
    We also faced that guy from the Bengals
    Actually, McGahee is 12th in the league, and as stated Buffalo ranks in the mid twenties in rush offense. And considering that shuttle pass in the backfield is figured as a receiving stat and not a rushing, we hardly shut him down. If you include that break away in he ran for about 120 against us.

Rudi Johnson (that guy from the Bengals) ranks 9th in the league, bur the team ranks 19th in rushing offense. Again, not even middle of the pack.

NEM
    NEM is offline Waterboy

Don't ask me why, because I know there is no logic to it, but for some reason I feel that the Dillaroni Combo willbe able to run on the Vikes front four, as good as they are because both Dillon , and moreso Maroney, are slashing type runners,and especially Maroney who can get outside the tackles quickly and if he has one extra inch, he could be past your linemen before they can react.

He is really that good. I cant believe he fell to us.

And Dillon, well he is looking like the great back he was with the Bengals, and the first year with the Pats.
    He seems to have gotten a new lease on life, perhaps because of Maroney being part of the duo.

And, if Brady can have some early success, particularly in the mid range area lwhere your linebackers need to drop off a bit, that too could open the running lanes.

And, there is the Benjamin Watson factor at one TE, and perhaps one of the best BLOCKING TE's in the game, Dan Graham at the other TE.....

Like I said, I dont know why, but I feel some success at our running game on Monday night.
    Maybe it might be, in part, an extra adreniline flow on the part of Maroney playing back in Minnesota, too.

Anyway, as all of us seem to be saying , hoping for a fun game....

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the greatest site on earth, patriots fans.

About the run defense. We haven't allowed a single 100 yard rusher in 18 straight games. There's a stat that has held true for our rush defense through last season. As you can probably see, the common denominator in this equation is Pat Williams, one of the best, if not the best run stuffer in the NFL. Now couple that with a linebacking corps that is finally living up to its expectations and a healthy Kevin Williams and you have what is the #1 run defense in the NFL.

I'm a hell of a lot less worried about the pats running on us than I am the pats throwing on us. You can talk up Laurence Maroney all you want but the fact of the matter is we're going to be worried about an attack that features Tom Brady a lot more.

The X-Factor in this game is Fred Smoot. Other experienced QB's have had a nice ol' time back there in the pocket firing passes towards the reciever that Smoot is attempting to cover for an easy completion. Smoot did pretty well the last game.. We'll have to see how he fares.

This is a make or break game for the Vikings. This is our chance to show that we are for real and break onto the national stage.

SKOL

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast