Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikes vs Chargers (articles and predictions)

This is a perfect opening day matchup as both teams are built to take advantage of the others weaknesses. The Vikings are designed to run the ball around and through the opposition all game long, something the Chargers are not overly adept at preventing.

On the other side of the ball, the Chargers present one of the very best passing attacks in the NFL and go up against a defense that is notorious for their lack of a pass rush.

NFL Predictions Week 1: San Diego Chargers vs. Minnesota Vikings

Big Mac Marcus McNeill did not take a snap in the preseason, but it seems that he will be ready to open up the season on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

Marcus McNeill Looks Ready For Chargers Opener Against the Vikings

The San Diego Chargers were an enigma in 2010: a team with enough potential to win a Super Bowl, yet somehow, they found a way to lose seven games and miss the playoffs. They led the league in Net Yards per Pass on both offense and defense last year, normally a pretty good indicator of a leading Super Bowl contender. Yet they lost five of their first seven games, and when they needed wins against non-playoff teams later in the season (Oakland, Cincinnati), they were blown out.

The biggest culprit was a historically-inept special teams unit. Each of the first three losses, all by a single score, featured at least one special teams touchdown allowed. They also lost a game against New England in which they doubled the Patriots in total offensive yards, but had things like a lateral/fumble that wasnt picked up by the offense and returned by the Pats, and a game-tying field goal miss.

A Thought About the San Diego Chargers: Teams With Good Point Differentials, But Not Wins
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Vikes vs Chargers (articles and predictions)

Vikings 28 Chargers 21

On Offense

Vikings come out running the ball and right at the middle of that front 7 which has a weakness with respect to LB'rs.

Goal (chess match) will be to keep pounding them were they are weak in an attempt to get them to bring help from outide the box and then, when they do that, keep pounding it to them until they prove they can stop them.

This will accomplish a very important thing, especially if we are successfull, it will shorten the game and drive the Chargers nuts as it will keep the ball out of Rivers hands wich will force him to become impatient and maybe, just maybe, force the ball a couple of times when he shouldn't.

On Defense

I think they will try to help their LT at first with a TE/FB. It is very important that the DT's and especially Rob, take advantage of this and win their matchups as we can't afford to have our LB'rs help get pressure or Rivers will pick us apart in the intermediate zones in between the hashes.

Additionally, look to see Griff and Cook press Floyd and Jackson as much as possible, mixing up which side they press on (Not side of the ball, side of the WR) so that the recievers are either forced into the sidelines or forced into a LB'r in the short zones.

In the end, if we can remain patient on offense, win the battles on the line and at the CB positions, I think we can come away with a win here.

SKOL VIKES.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

What are your thoughts?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107737
    What are your thoughts?
    My main thought is that the peeps of PPO vastly overrate the Vikings and underrate the Chargers.

Chargers 31, Vikings 14. Not how I want it to be, but definitely how I see it going.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

The middle linebacker depth was really YOUNG and now we have added Nail Diggs and it looks like we are keeping Stephen Cooper around as well. The defense struggled in the preseason against the run and there were some mistakes made by redshirt rookie Donald Butler.
    New Chargers LB Diggs Could Push For Starting Role

Diggs, 33, is entering his 11th NFL season. He also played with Green Bay and Carolina. He could potentially push youngster Donald Butler for a starting job. San Diego this offseason has also added veteran linebacker Takeo Spikes and safety Bob Sanders.
    Chargers add linebacker Na'il Diggs

More stuff on that LB'r issue I mentioned.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1107740
    What are your thoughts?
    My main thought is that the peeps of PPO vastly overrate the Vikings and underrate the Chargers.

Chargers 31, Vikings 14. Not how I want it to be, but definitely how I see it going.

=Z=
    +1
    I know others will say this is a hugely important game, but I disagree. Week 2 will be more important IMHO.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

The Chargers knowing Adrian Peterson's ability to make history against them will be geared up to stop him so early in the game the play action game has to click for our favorite team to come out with a 'W'. I see a play, maybe a deep crossing route to Percy early in the game which will subsequently allow Peterson/Gerhart to pound the middle of that soft Charger defense.

All in all, I feel the one thing which will take the longest time to get up to speed is tackling with the shortened offseason, those men with Bolts on their helmets better bring their lunch pail 'cause a bad man is coming to repeat his stellar opening season games in the previous four years of his career. In the end, with lady luck on our side when the Chargers drop a sure McNabb pick six, the Vikings steal one in San Diego.

24-20 Vikings :cheer:
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

What are your thoughts?

=Z=
    Fair enough. Truth of the matter is, most of the stuff I've read today have it about that way.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

This one scares me quite a bit. It's not as crucial being a non-conference match-up, but We really can't afford to give anything away this year.

Reasons to favor the Vikings:

1) Top tier rushing game vs. poor rush defense

2) Better Special Teams, with the exception of Kaeding.

3) Chargers notoriously slow starters

Reasons to favor Chargers:

1) Excellent passing game vs. mediocre secondary and questionable pass rush

2) Teams traveling to the West Coast from the EST time zone have a poor track record

3) Chargers overall are a better team, although not by that much

4) Vikings game plan goes out the window if playing from behind, which is a good possibility

5) The revenge factor. While I don't consider it a major factor, many people do, including some players

Both teams should have been better than their records last year, and both suffer equally from the off-season drama and shortened TC.

If the Vikings are to have a real shot at this, I think it may have to be because of Special Teams. It's really tough to rely on that, though, so my prediction is this. Chargers score first and stay ahead all the way. Vikings put up a valiant effort but just can't keep up, failing to punch it in when needed. Final score, Chargers 24, Vikings 17.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by "carta4eva" #1107745
    The Chargers knowing Adrian Peterson's ability to make history against them will be geared up to stop him so early in the game the play action game has to click for our favorite team to come out with a 'W'. I see a play, maybe a deep crossing route to Percy early in the game which will subsequently allow Peterson/Gerhart to pound the middle of that soft Charger defense.

All in all, I feel the one thing which will take the longest time to get up to speed is tackling with the shortened offseason, those men with Bolts on their helmets better bring their lunch pail 'cause a bad man is coming to repeat his stellar opening season games in the previous four years of his career. In the end, with lady luck on our side when the Chargers drop a sure McNabb pick six, the Vikings steal one in San Diego.

24-20 Vikings :cheer:
    When was the last time I made mention that you were wise beyond your years.

Another great point that I missed thinking about. Mix that in with poor LB'r play and I think AD has a record day.

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1107744
    What are your thoughts?

=Z=
    +1
    I know others will say this is a hugely important game, but I disagree. Week 2 will be more important IMHO.
    Every week is important, but not every week (atleast early on), if it is a loss, is important enough to cause the faithfull to give up hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast