Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    marshallvike is online now Team Alumni

Re: Tyler Thigpen - A steal as a 7th round pick?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hold on a minute big guy.
    Do you for one minute really believe this organization wanted to go with TJ?
    I know some on here are convinced of that but I believe you know a bit more than most yutzs.

If one were to look back at not only the draft and how it unfolded but the roster as well, one would realize that at that point and time we still believed that BJ was gonna get us through a year or two as the kid developed.

Now, we know BJ wasn't the answer, only Garcia and possibly Warner could have been viable options with Garcia jetting directly to the Bucs and I am still a bit unsure if we even looked at Warner (I know I wouldn't have) based on his play before he went to the Cards.

Long story short, back to the state of the NFL and its QB's, times are tough for front offices to find a good veteran guy to hold you over while the youngster develops and for coaches to get the young ones ready.

As to the reasoning behind kicking him to the curb.
    I still don't think he is kicked to the curb.
    At some point we need to really look at what was going on with respect to our lame duck WR's.
    BB and El Syd were not 100% and we sure didn't have anyone out there that was gonna get any kindof seperation off the line/from the defenders which TJ felt comfortable to throw to.

Answer......Put the savy vet in who could/would throw to a marginally covered reciever as TJ sure the hell wasn't gonna do it and risk a turnover.

Now that BB is better/getting open and Rice seems to be getting his game legs, I wouldn't at all be suprised to see TJ back on the field before this season is over especially if Ole Gussy boy lays another egg like he did the last 2 games.

Truth be told, I half expected TJ to come running out on the field at the start of the 4th quarter.

Truth be told I am not sure this staff would recognize a quality QB if he beeyatch slapped them up side the head.

Furthermore if they did get lucky and get one by accident I am not convinced that they could bring him up to speed without ruining him.

Whether they wanted to start him or not and whether they were counting on Johnson to last for 2 years does not diminish the fact that they traded up to get a QB who was not worth the pick then or now and they also committed to him to the point of not going after other QB's that would have been better for the team at this time.
    i do not like our coaching staff, but THEY did not trade up for TJ. i believe it was the 2 month jag-of - a -gm that did that
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

At some point we need to really look at what was going on with respect to our lame duck WR's.
    BB and El Syd were not 100% and we sure didn't have anyone out there that was gonna get any kind of separation off the line/from the defenders which TJ felt comfortable to throw to.

Answer......Put the savvy vet in who could/would throw to a marginally covered receiver as TJ sure the hell wasn't gonna do it and risk a turnover.

Now that BB is better/getting open and Rice seems to be getting his game legs, I wouldn't at all be suprised to see TJ back on the field before this season is over especially if Ole Gussy boy lays another egg like he did the last 2 games.
    That's how I saw the move to Frerotte as well. With the media & the fans scrutinizing every single play of Jackson's & not taking into account our WR situation, Jackson was gun shy to throw to a marginally covered receiver & with Childress' job on the line & with a vet who would attempt to make those throws waiting on the sidelines, enter Gus Frerotte.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

BB and El Syd were not 100% and we sure didn't have anyone out there that was gonna get any kind of separation off the line/from the defenders which TJ felt comfortable to throw to.

Answer......Put the savvy vet in who could/would throw to a marginally covered receiver as TJ sure the hell wasn't gonna do it and risk a turnover.

That's how I saw the move to Frerotte as well. With the media & the fans scrutinizing every single play of Jackson's & not taking into account our WR situation, Jackson was gun shy to throw to a marginally covered receiver & with Childress' job on the line & with a vet who would attempt to make those throws waiting on the sidelines, enter Gus Frerotte.
    I can agree with this.
    The bottom line is TJ was benched because of a couple of plays and becasue of the rest of the team's confidence level.
    Shiancoe's drop in the endzone, BB tripping over his own two feet are just two plays to where this team could have been 2-0 instead of 0-2.
    However since we were 0-2 it was the right decision to bring in Gus more for a confidence boost in the rest of the team than anything else.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I can agree with this.
    The bottom line is TJ was benched because of a couple of plays and becasue of the rest of the team's confidence level.
    Shiancoe's drop in the endzone, BB tripping over his own two feet are just two plays to where this team could have been 2-0 instead of 0-2.
    However since we were 0-2 it was the right decision to bring in Gus more for a confidence boost in the rest of the team than anything else.
    Do you think he was benched for the plays on the field or something that happened during the week? Childress was pretty strong in support of him after the colts game and even on Monday, but on Wednesday he benched him and said Gus was the starter for the year. I got the feeling it was either something that happened between Jackson and one of the coaches or it was the team or the owner that accelerated the move. JMO though

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I can agree with this.
    Do you think he was benched for the plays on the field or something that happened during the week? Childress was pretty strong in support of him after the colts game and even on Monday, but on Wednesday he benched him and said Gus was the starter for the year. I got the feeling it was either something that happened between Jackson and one of the coaches or it was the team or the owner that accelerated the move. JMO though
    Not really sure.
    My opinion was it was Wilf telling Childress to make the move but again that's JMO.
    Maybe they watched the films and made the decision.
    Maybe there was a problem between TJ and the coaches.
    Who know's?
    What I do know is based on the interviews with the players after the decision they seemed happy and felt as though they could open things up.

scumpuke is offline Rookie

"ejmat" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I can agree with this.
    Not really sure.
    My opinion was it was Wilf telling Childress to make the move but again that's JMO.
    Who know's?
    What I do know is based on the interviews with the players after the decision they seemed happy and felt as though they could open things up.
    A little while after Frerotte replaced TJ, I heard something on a message board and I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not (I was inclined not to believe it). Someone posted and said that the Vikings WRs had a hard time understanding TJ in the huddle, and that one of the guys had to repeat what he said every time so the others could understand it. The poster said he had it on good confidence, but it seems like such an outlandish story. Has anyone else heard this or can elaborate?
    Partyin' Purple Style!

Blog Entries

"scumpuke" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=36629.msg864614#msg864614 date=1226519089]

I can agree with this.
    Not really sure.
    Who know's?
    A little while after Frerotte replaced TJ, I heard something on a message board and I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not (I was inclined not to believe it). Someone posted and said that the Vikings WRs had a hard time understanding TJ in the huddle, and that one of the guys had to repeat what he said every time so the others could understand it. The poster said he had it on good confidence, but it seems like such an outlandish story. Has anyone else heard this or can elaborate?
    [/quote]

That story went around here too. My guess is that what he said had no impact on them dropping passes but who knows, maybe they were not hearing him right and that caused them to run the wrong route.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I can agree with this.
    I hear ya, however I still think it can be traced back to two things....

a.
    Our WR's were dinged and not getting clear seperation.

b.
    TJ would not throw to a WR that was marginally covered wereas a seasoned Vet might try to get one in there.

Because of those two things, the staff made the decision to switch.

Take a look at what Flacco and to a certain extent Ryan are doing.
    They are making some nice throws to WR's but if one were to look real close, those WR's are really really open with some real nice separation.

As to TJ, if you watch the games were they went into prevent (Denver game) you will see that he had lots of room between the defender and reciever and was quick to get the ball out with little or no hesitation (needed in this scheme) and put the ball on the mark.

Long story short, give TJ some time and a reciever who can get open and I don't think we would even be having this discussion right now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I can agree with this.

a.

b.
    TJ would not throw to a WR that was marginally covered wereas a seasoned Vet might try to get one in there.

They are making some nice throws to WR's but if one were to look real close, those WR's are really really open with some real nice separation.

As to TJ, if you watch the games were they went into prevent (Denver game) you will see that he had lots of room between the defender and reciever and was quick to get the ball out with little or no hesitation (needed in this scheme) and put the ball on the mark.

Long story short, give TJ some time and a reciever who can get open and I don't think we would even be having this discussion right now.
    You went pretty deep to dredge this one up lol.

point #1- Please do not refer to TJ in the same sentence as Flacco and Ryan. If you don't know why I cannot help.

Point #2- If you give any QB in the league enough time and a WR who is open enough they will be making plays. What separates the ones who succeed from those who don't is their ability to make the plays you don't think they should at times they shouldn't. Jackson wasn't even able to make the routine plays when they were there to be made(The words of Childress, not me).

Point #3- If the WR's were dinged, maybe they should have deactivated them and brought in Renaud and his fresh legs

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=36629.msg864614#msg864614 date=1226519089]

I can agree with this.

a.

b.

You went pretty deep to dredge this one up lol.

point #1- Please do not refer to TJ in the same sentence as Flacco and Ryan. If you don't know why I cannot help.

Point #2- If you give any QB in the league enough time and a WR who is open enough they will be making plays. What separates the ones who succeed from those who don't is their ability to make the plays you don't think they should at times they shouldn't. Jackson wasn't even able to make the routine plays when they were there to be made(The words of Childress, not me).

Point #3- If the WR's were dinged, maybe they should have deactivated them and brought in Renaud and his fresh legs
    [/quote]

1)your right. you cant compare T-jack to those rookies because T-jack is like a young D-mac and he is a mobile quarterback unlike the other two QB's

2) T-jack's recievers would drop the ball. and what do you expect from a guy when his #1 reciever is Troy "i cant catch" Williamson? But he did look pretty bad at times too. gotta give you credit on that.

3) im not going to argue that haha

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910