Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Only three days to go!

I saw two topics reopened a few days ago (this being one of them) and was wondering what people would post in them leading up to the season opener at New Orleans on Thursday.

The answer seems to be... nothing.

I guess that makes me first.

So... your thoughts on this game, now that it is right on top of us?

I see a high-scoring shootout type of game, much like last year's NFCC game looked to be at the time. I do expect, however, that the officials will be calling a much tighter game, since it is the season kickoff and all. So discipline will be key.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt badly. We need to keep it clean and lay it all out there on the field. It may be only week one, but it's a crucial game anyway. It might just be the difference between another NFCN crown and a wildcard berth.

It's also a lot more important divisionally for us than for the Saints, as theylook to cruise to the NFCS title. Atlanta looks to be the only potential threat, and not really much of one at that.

I think being the underdogs will help us this year, both in this game and down the stretch for the division. We always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot when we're favorites, but play up to our potential when we're dogs.

A couple of long, slow scoring drives early will help to tire out the Saints defense, so that we can light them up in the later stages of the game. It will also take the crowd out of it a bit.

That's all I have for now. Maybe more after I see what you guys have to say.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Only three days to go!

Thursday can't come soon enough, T-Vike!

I'm having trouble focusing on simple tasks, because I'm thinking about what could go right, what could go wrong, how to smack-talk Saints fans after the win, dealing with smack-talking Saints fans if we lose, and a whole new vocabulary of curses for during the game itself. LOL

Seriously, though...as a team, I hope the Vikes are looking at this as professionally as they can, and deal with it the same way. As a fan, though...me, personally? I don't know if I could stomach a loss...even if the Vikes were to go 15 - 1, and the Saints were to go 1-15. It would just seem like a Karmic black cloud hanging over us in the Playoffs...bigger than the one we normally seem to have, I mean.

Another thing that I've been ruminating over...

As much as it would satisfy the primal, reptilian part of my brain to see the Four Norsemen just knock Brees' junk in the dirt, play after play after play, legal or not, preferably NOT (X marks the spot, right Sharper?).....on a more intellectual level I hope they keep their play as clean as possible. Here's why:

This season opener has gotten as hyped as any game can possibly get, due to the drama of the last match-up. It's likely to rival the ratings of the Favre vs. Packer games of last year. Hell, it's practically a September Super Bowl...

SO...tell me what YOU think would happen to the popularity of the Vikings if they go into Thursday's game, and actually knock Brees out for X amount of games with an injury due to a "hit of questionable legality"?

*I* think...and as with all my posts, this is JMO...I think with the Saints being the "Cinderfellas of the NFL" that they are, that the public backlash on the Vikings as a team, and on Childress as the coach, would be HORRIBLE. The Vikings as an organization would be looked at as The Black Hats...NFL Enemy #1.

As a fan, I gotta say...I don't want that. If I did, I'd switch my allegiance to the silver and black guys one state over from me to the West.

That is all...for now.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Words of advice from Capt. Obvious:
    * Don't be stupid with the ball, TO's kill
    * Run early and often until the pass is wide open
    * OL step up to the plate
    * McK take some dance lessons to learn to move your feet
    * Revenge will only take the focus off the game
    * Keep everything in front of you, NO BIG plays
    * Ignore the hoopla, let their emotions get drained.
    * Favre play it cool, the D's got your back.

Just simply do what you're getting paid for and all will be fine.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Can it just be Thursday please??!!

I can't form a thought other than, OMG I'm ready for Thursday night!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

triedandtruevikesfan wrote:

Amen sister!

I got that "excited/scared" feeling. Like 98% excited, 2% scared. Or maybe it's more - It could be two - it could be 98% scared, 2% excited but that's what makes it so intense, it's so - confused. I can't really figure it out.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

I'm starting to do things I normally do on Wednesday... I just can't wait.

I'm also going to hate to wait the 10 day before the Miami game too. The only thing that will help is watching Philly kick some Puker butt.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:

I'm also going to hate to wait the 10 day before the Miami game too. The only thing that will help is watching Philly kick some Puker butt.
    The best thing about the Vikes playing on a non-Sunday is now I get to watch NFL redzone all day long.

Best. Channel. Ever.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

The best thing about the Vikes playing on a non-Sunday is now I get to watch NFL redzone all day long.

Best. Channel. Ever.
    +1, I love the redzone channel

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

triedandtruevikesfan wrote:

+1

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

ndnorseman wrote:
    Thursday can't come soon enough, T-Vike!
    SKOL! Football, you bet!
    SO...tell me what YOU think would happen to the popularity of the Vikings if they go into Thursday's game, and actually knock Brees out for X amount of games with an injury due to a "hit of questionable legality"?
    I agree, to am extent. Fans of other teams would more than likely use it against us. I don't think we would lose a lot of our existing fan base, though. Most folks would try to justify the hits.

However, I do think that we might gain a few fans because of it, as well. Not the kind that I want, however. Some people just love violence and want to see football players out there deliberately trying to hurt each other. This is thoroughly distasteful to me, but it is true.

I much prefer that the game be as clean as possible, not just this one, but all of them. Injuries are going to happen anyway, there is no need to help them along.

I was watching the Chiefs/Jets game in which Dennis Byrd broke his neck, and it had a very great impact on me. It was somewhat karmic in that Byrd was trying to spear a Chiefs players and hurt himself, but even so, the man was crippled for life. Shit like that happens when you play dirty.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast