Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Model of Success (From Packerchatter)

This is a pretty interesting objective article from Packerchatter that is worth the read...

http://packerchatters.com/?p=8171

by Bob Fox | November 3rd, 2009

The 2009 Green Bay Packers are the youngest team in the NFL for the 4th straight year.
    That is due to the way General Manager Ted Thompson prefers to run the organization.
    Thompson arrived in 2005, when the President of the Packers at that time, Bob Harlan, removed the GM title from head coach Mike Sherman’s overall title and gave the reins to Thompson.

Thompson had been in Seattle from 2000-2004 as Vice-president of Football Operations, and before that had been with the Packers from 1992-1999 in various roles like Assistant Director of Pro Personnel (1992), Director of Pro Personnel (1993-1996) and Director of Player Personnel (1997-1999).

Thompson fired Sherman after a 4-12 record in 2005, and hired Mike McCarthy in 2006 to be the new head coach.
    In the 4 plus years that Thompson has been in control, the Packers were under .500 twice and at .500 once.
    The 2007 Packer team did finish 13-3 and got to the NFC championship game.

Being under .500 sticks out like a sore thumb, because the Packers had never been under .500 previous to Thompson’s tenure since the 1991 season.
    Still, let’s look at Thompson’s overall work and compare it to others in the NFC North.

Since 2005, the beginning of the Thompson era, the Packers have won 1 NFC North title and have an overall record of 35-36.
    The Minnesota Vikings have won 1 NFC North title and have an overall record of 40-32.
    The Chicago Bears have won 2 NFC North titles and have an overall record of 44-27.
    The Detroit Lions are the Detroit Lions, but since Matt Millen is gone now, things might change.
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re: A Model of Success (From Packerchatter)

Very informative article, And credit is given where it should be-To both for both good and bad decisions, No one sided article, Nice.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Great article, really spot on.
    TT just doesn't get that you have to acquire veterans at certain positions to win.
    Aaron Rodgers stats this year, compared with GB's record, indicate the importance of a solid o-line.

The Vikings and Bears have made good free agent acquisitions the last few years.
    The Bears have been riddled with injuries and its showing.
    For the Vikings, AP, JA, Hutch and Shanks, amongst a few others, have been instrumental for our success.

I still question Chillers play calling, but I guess at 7-1, theres not much to question.
    I am happy for our success, and I'm not ready to crown anyone, but I like our chances.

SKOL
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Great article.
    There was always the misconception that Pioli and Bellycheat built their dynasty through the draft.
    But they actually got it kick started through a combination of free agency and keen eye for drafting talent.

Ted's worst nightmare became reality. The degree of discontent with his performance will likely cost him and McCarthy their jobs.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

This is a pretty interesting objective article from Packerchatter that is worth the read...

http://packerchatters.com/?p=8171

by Bob Fox | November 3rd, 2009

The 2009 Green Bay Packers are the youngest team in the NFL for the 4th straight year.
    That is due to the way General Manager Ted Thompson prefers to run the organization.
    Thompson arrived in 2005, when the President of the Packers at that time, Bob Harlan, removed the GM title from head coach Mike Sherman’s overall title and gave the reins to Thompson.

Thompson had been in Seattle from 2000-2004 as Vice-president of Football Operations, and before that had been with the Packers from 1992-1999 in various roles like Assistant Director of Pro Personnel (1992), Director of Pro Personnel (1993-1996) and Director of Player Personnel (1997-1999).

Thompson fired Sherman after a 4-12 record in 2005, and hired Mike McCarthy in 2006 to be the new head coach.
    In the 4 plus years that Thompson has been in control, the Packers were under .500 twice and at .500 once.
    The 2007 Packer team did finish 13-3 and got to the NFC championship game.

Being under .500 sticks out like a sore thumb, because the Packers had never been under .500 previous to Thompson’s tenure since the 1991 season.
    Still, let’s look at Thompson’s overall work and compare it to others in the NFC North.

Since 2005, the beginning of the Thompson era, the Packers have won 1 NFC North title and have an overall record of 35-36.
    The Minnesota Vikings have won 1 NFC North title and have an overall record of 40-32.
    The Chicago Bears have won 2 NFC North titles and have an overall record of 44-27.
    The Detroit Lions are the Detroit Lions, but since Matt Millen is gone now, things might change.
    I had to shorten the article, we can not post an entire article from another site.
    The link is there for members to click on and read the rest of the article.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

That was an extremely well-written article; though I would like some of the same insight in to the Bears organization he had on MN

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

TrueVikingsFan is offline Waterboy

cool article

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

[img width=450 height=357]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Reign-in-Blood/chetpussy.jpg[/img]
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Great article.
    There was always the misconception that Pioli and Bellycheat built their dynasty through the draft.
    But they actually got it kick started through a combination of free agency and keen eye for drafting talent.

Ted's worst nightmare became reality. The degree of discontent with his performance will likely cost him and McCarthy their jobs.
    I hope not. I would like to see them remain in their respective positions for many more years. ;D
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

thompson twins hold me now

Compelling read!
    So compelling it has me thinking Ted might be signing this in his dreams now about Brent............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast