Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mike Williams= Bad Pick For Lions

I was reading these early draft drades and i Completely agree.

Heres what they said about the lions:

10. Detroit selects: Mike Williams, WR, USC
    What in the heck is this team doing? Unless this team has a deal worked out for Williams with another team, why would they draft him? This is a luxury. Not a need. They have Charles Rogers. They have Roy Williams. Both were high first-round picks. And although there is some injury concerns with those two, no team can afford three high first-round picks at one position. This is a terrible move, no matter what kind of player Williams can be. Grade D

Heres what they said about the Vikes 7th And 18th Picks

7. Minnesota selects: Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
    (From Oakland) This is the right pick. Not Mike Williams. Troy Williamson can fly. The Vikings needed to replace their deep threat in Randy Moss, and Williamson can do that. The Vikings did the right thing drafting the speed, not the possession receiver. A terrific pick of a player I love.
    Grade A+

18. Minnesota selects: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    The Vikings got their speed receiver earlier, now they come back and get a good defensive end. If not for injury concerns the past two years, James would have gone a lot higher. He's a steal here. A good pick by the Vikings. Grade B +

I completely Agree with these ideas. Some of you guys have to stop being so damn pessimistic.

Heres the link if you want to se the rest http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8400557

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mike Williams= Bad Pick For Lions

I agree very good analysis.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I don't agree completly. The Lions can line up in a four reciever set and who has enough quality corners to cover them all?!?!

We're going to get alot of use out of Brian Williams - but alot of teams don't even have TWO quality DBs.

So, no. I don't agree with the article.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I think the bigger question is their QB. Garcia is not a sure bet, and Harrington is flat.

Nobody thought Derrick Johnson would last until 15, but he did, and they gave that pick a C. Wow.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

If Det goes 4 WR then we will kill their QB because you still need someone to block. LOL!
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    If Det goes 4 WR then we will kill their QB because you still need someone to block. LOL!
    Good theory, but Harrington does have a quick release. I just don't like to underestimate the opponent.

6-KINGS Guest

Are the Lions trying to be the old Warren Moon Houston Oilers?
    I was kind of taken back by that pick as well.
    Time will tell if they can make it work.
    I know they tried some years back to do this same thing.
    The Run and Shoot? I think that is what it is called.
    Sorry it has been a LONG day at the hospital for me.
    The memory is shot today.

silvermane is offline Rookie

Mike Williams was a good pick for the Lions and the reason is because he was available to us when nobody thought he would be. Most people say we really screwed up by not taking someone like Shawn Merriman, Derrick Johnson, Pollack, or James. And if Mike Williams had been drafted by you or someone else ahead of us we would have taken one of those guys. But to pass on Mike Williams with the #10 pick when NOBODY had him falling that far would be just plain stupid, especially since our offense was so horrible last year and one of our projected star receivers Charles Rogers has suffered from so many collarbone injuries.

As for our offensive line we made a huge free agency pickup with Rick Demulling from the Colts, one of Edegerrin James and Mannings prize blockers.

Besides Shaun Cody was a great pickup in the 2nd round. We also picked up 2 more defensive ends and Dan Orlovsky as a backup QB.

I really feel that we have gotten stronger in the draft and free agency this year and that we will be a competitor with the Vikings and Packers for the division. Minnesota still looks the best right now but I take issue with those who think we wasted a pick on Mike Williams. It's all about value, and he was the best value for where we sat.

Lando is offline Rookie

Sure he might have been the best player available at #10 .. but he certainly didn't fit what the Lions really needed. He does fit in nicely with the other receivers and I'm sure the Lions offense will be improved (even with a questionable QB).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast