Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Mike Morris, a former Vikings (and other teams) player who hosts a morning show here in the Twin Cities on KFAN, has said MANY MANY MANY times that the concept of "halftime adjustments" is EXTREMELY overrated by fans and is negligible to the outcome of a game.

So, I tend to listen to him, over internet wannabes (like me).

=Z=
    Not me. I treat everything I hear drom internet wannabes as gospel.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Morris is right, because fans use the adjustments argument incorrectly. Its also cover for "I have no idea why we lost, but wanna say something".

Blog Entries
    Skol and welcome littlekaps. I have to be honest when I say that the Lions are an exciting team to watch this year. You guys deserve a little success... I think that the Lions are serious contenders for the NFC North title this year.

As to your questions/statements...

1) AP is awesome. He will probably have 150 and a couple tds.
    Yes, yes he is. The man is amazing, and imho the best player in football right now. Unfortunately one man can't win a football game alone.

2) McNabb. The last time we saw him he was in a baseball cap for Washington during the two minute drill when we beat them. Also, we believe is a placeholder until Ponder steps up in the next few weeks.
    I agree he is a place holder, but I don't think it will be in the next few weeks. Ponder is going to be a good QB, but he isn't at the level where he can start effectively his rookie year. I think we will stick with McNabb through at least week 13, and then only go to Ponder if we are eliminated from playoff contention. I also think that McNabb will continue to improve his game. He was awful in week 1, better in week 2, and as he gets used to his teammates, I think he will keep getting better and better, and will make the Vikings relevant as a possible wild card team.

3) Your receivers - why the hell isn't Harvin playing more?
    Harvin is playing, but when you have two possession receivers in Harvin and Jenkins, and a deep threat who has bricks for hands, it is hard to get the receivers more involved. I think a better question is why the hell aren't we engaging the TEs more like we did in preseason. Force the LBs to play up, offer multiple routes, and create openings for Harvin and the other receivers.

4) Last week - what happened with Tampa Bay? Is your pass defense hurting bad enough that tampa came back from 17 down?
    Actually, the defense played well in both games, and while they definitely made some mistakes (like dropping a game winning INT), the offense didn't do them any favors by not sustaining drives or scoring points in the second half.

5) The williams wall is gone. Allen is still there but Leber is gone and you have the Henderson boys at LB. Our run offense is not that great with more of a scat back in Jahvid Best.
    Kevin Williams is back this week, and I think that our DL is as good as it has been in the past. We are going to be able to control the run, but we need to get more pressure on the QB if we plan on winning the game.

Overall, I am excited for this game. Detroit is definitely playing well, but we'll see if they can continue to perform at such a high level. We have the home field advantage, and a little bit of desperation. A win this wek puts the Vikings at 1-2 this week and most likely a manageable 2-2 next week against Kansas City. A loss puts us in a pretty deep hole, especially starting 0-2 against NFC north opponents. I think that this is a MUST WIN for the Vikes, and they will simply be hungrier than the Lions. But it will be a tough win.

Final score: Vikings 27, Detroit 24.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I know everyone is saying it, but I really do feel like this is a make or break game for us.

I can see another tight game for us and it will be interesting to see the Lions come to the Dome as favourites for a game for the first time in years. We only needed a little improvement to be in a 2-0 position rather than the 0-2 one that we are in right now. McNabb having more time to practise with the team may help. If his performance improves as much as it did from week 1 to week 2, we have a chance.

I have little doubt that McNabb will be battered around by Suh and co, I can't see our OL stopping the Lions unfortunately and for D-Mac it's going to hurt.

Heart says the game will go either way by 3 points - head says Lions by 10.
    Australia: Where Monday Night Football is on a Tuesday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneTerrier View Post
    I know everyone is saying it, but I really do feel like this is a make or break game for us.

I can see another tight game for us and it will be interesting to see the Lions come to the Dome as favourites for a game for the first time in years. We only needed a little improvement to be in a 2-0 position rather than the 0-2 one that we are in right now. McNabb having more time to practise with the team may help. If his performance improves as much as it did from week 1 to week 2, we have a chance.

I have little doubt that McNabb will be battered around by Suh and co, I can't see our OL stopping the Lions unfortunately and for D-Mac it's going to hurt.

If the Lions beat us by ten in our house, it is going to be an ugly, ugly week.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Not me. I treat everything I hear drom internet wannabes as gospel.
    As an internet wannabe, I find your spelling to be atrocious and think you need a remedial course.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneTerrier View Post
    Welcome, BrisbaneTerrier! I see this isn't your first post, but it's the first time I've seen your nickname (which says more about how much I click "Mark Forums Read" than anything about what you've written). I wonder if you're our first Australian member?

Stop over in the Free Beer! forum and start an Intro post, so we can all get to know you!

(Oh - I totally agree with your take - my head says "No way the Vikes win this game", but my heart wants to believe, and not just because "They're the freaking Lions!")

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Mike Morris, a former Vikings (and other teams) player who hosts a morning show here in the Twin Cities on KFAN, has said MANY MANY MANY times that the concept of "halftime adjustments" is EXTREMELY overrated by fans and is negligible to the outcome of a game.

So, I tend to listen to him, over internet wannabes (like me).

=Z=
    He's an idiot and you would be too if you continue to listen to him.
    It's chess, not checkers. If you prepare for a cover 3 but they keep giving you cover 2, do you continue your gameplan from the week in attacking the defense with corner routes? No you adjust, typically at half time. Dc's ask their defenses during the defense what they are seeing, guys in the booth send down their information, but during the game there is too much going on to formulate an solid gameplan based on what they are doing. Half time gives a coach an opportunity to recover, reassess and attempt to take away what they are seeing. We do it on all levels of football... I have seen it in HS, College, and Semi pro.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He's an idiot and you would be too if you continue to listen to him.
    It's chess, not checkers. If you prepare for a cover 3 but they keep giving you cover 2, do you continue your gameplan from the week in attacking the defense with corner routes? No you adjust, typically at half time. Dc's ask their defenses during the defense what they are seeing, guys in the booth send down their information, but during the game there is too much going on to formulate an solid gameplan based on what they are doing. Half time gives a coach an opportunity to recover, reassess and attempt to take away what they are seeing. We do it on all levels of football... I have seen it in HS, College, and Semi pro.
    If you actually listened to what Mike Morris said...

He said that halftime adjustments are overblown because a head coach and offensive coordinator need to be making adjustments throughout the game, not just at half time. Coordinators are talking to their players and assistants the entire game.

Making adjustments primarily at halftime might work in high school, some podunk college and semi-pro, but this is the NFL. The step up to professional is pretty damn big, which is why it takes rookies - even the good ones - time to adjust. Plus, if you prepare for a cover 3 and they keep giving you cover 2, you need to adjust in time, not halfway through the game. Not to mention the fact that no NFL team offers the same basic offensive or defensive looks the whole game...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If you actually listened to what Mike Morris said...

He said that halftime adjustments are overblown because a head coach and offensive coordinator need to be making adjustments throughout the game, not just at half time. Coordinators are talking to their players and assistants the entire game.

Making adjustments primarily at halftime might work in high school, some podunk college and semi-pro, but this is the NFL. The step up to professional is pretty damn big, which is why it takes rookies - even the good ones - time to adjust. Plus, if you prepare for a cover 3 and they keep giving you cover 2, you need to adjust in time, not halfway through the game. Not to mention the fact that no NFL team offers the same basic offensive or defensive looks the whole game...
    Teams adujust mid game that much is true. However, there is a difference in adjusting mid game and forming a game plan at the half to counter act the coverage. For instant. A coach may spend half time linking a post and slant play call package to bait the cover two defense into opening things up for the wheel route by the RB/slot WR. This is simply in the passing game...what about the LB movements, Dline stunts. Are the corners allowing inside outside releases, How are they playing the stretch vs. power. Inside slam vs. draw? Bootleg vs. roll outs. Do you really think all this is done on the fly? And having 30 mins to assess these things have no bearing on the game?

Whats the sense of changind to a bootleg is the Oline can't block it, due to the stunts that the DLINE are getting.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 09-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast