Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is it Classless for Packers Fans to wish Injury on Favre?

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    You are right in saying that it doesn't just happen in Packer land, and I don't believe that anybody said that it did.
    However, in response to your examples:

1) Big difference between saying he would put a helmet into him and actually wishing injury on someone.
    Allen has made statements several times that his intention is never to hurt someone, but he plays the game at full speed.
    The comment about Rodgers was just shit talking, not any kind of threat as Packer fans made it out to be.

2) Corey Fuller was a bully and not one of my favorite players.
    But he spit on Trent Dilfer, not any Packers receiver. He did poke Frank Winters in the eye after Winters hit him with a late hit once (Fuller was fined $30,000; Winters's shot cost him $5,000).
    Fuller also tried to bribe a police officer once in Cleveland I think.
    So I will be the first to admit that Fuller was classless.
    But let's not make everything about the Packers.

3) Williamson was not fined and suspended for going to the funeral.
    He was fined and suspended for missing several days of practice both before and after the funeral, and not calling in or letting anyone know where he was.
    If I did that at work, you can bet your ass that my company would be pissed off when I returned.
    The Vikings could have handled it better, to be sure, but Williamson had his own share of the blame.
    1. And these two jockey's are tallking junk? Of course they are, difference here being the Allen could actually invoke an injury. I am sure he didn't mean it as to injury, but the words of the two parties aren't that far apart.

2. Robert Brooks I believe was the recipient, might have been Freeman.. I believe I even have it on tape. But didn't get the press of his other actions. Fuller was a jackass.. plain an simple, I don't have a problem with aggressive clean players. Him.. no respect for at all. BTW.. Frankie Bag of Doughnuts wasn't exactly one to follow the rules to a tee either.

3. Yes, Williamson wasn't correct in his actions in communicating his trials, but the Vikings handled it poorly and got the PR black eye for it.

Looking for a silver lining to deflect a little bit of this bad sportsmanship of a pair of jackasses.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

You should have stopped here.
    You summed it all up right here, and didn't need anything more.

"pack93z]As" wrote:
    [quote]

Ths is the "Excuse Lead In"....and you didn't need one.
    I'll explain that later...

"pack93z]1)" wrote:
    [quote]

At the same time, Allen never stated he wanted to HURT Rodgers...just that he wanted to hit him.
    I'd be willing to bet heavily that Allen would be the LAST person to condone willfully injuring another player...on ANY team.
    Attempting to villify him for this comment comes across as quite a reach.

"pack93z]2)" wrote:
    [quote]

I don't recall the play, but I can point to a handful of similar "classless" Packer stunts.
    Regardless, again, what does this prove?
    That there was once a Vikings player who was a turd?
    Hells Bells, we've had quite a few and we all admit it.
    How does this excuse or exhonorate Ellerson or Vernier?

Reverse the situation, and have someone calling for Rodgrs to get hurt...classless?
    You bet it is.

"pack93z]3)" wrote:

This one is WAY off base, mostly because the player in question wasn't fined for attending a funeal.
    He was fined because instead of being gone for the standard 3 days, he was gone over a WEEK and didn't contact anyone.
    Now, you can debate all you want about how much time is needed to grieve, but remember that the same guy that the Dousche Duo advocating hurting took only a couple days when his father was killed!!

[quote author=pack93z]There is no doubt that we have jackasses amongst us in Packer nation, there is no doubt about it. But it certainly isn't exclusive to our franchise.
    And back to the point I alluded to earlier...who said it was?
    This attempt to justify or to, at the very least, mitigate the effects of these comments smacks of validation - and I certainly don't expect that of you.
    The point is that we can point to "classless" plays on both sides of the field - like when Chris Walsh downed a pass and was absolutely BLASTED from behind by one of your nickle backs...the same year that you guys were screaming for Sapp's head for hitting defenseless players from behind?
    But aside form demonstrating that both of us have had our share of bad eggs, how does that alter what was said by Ellerson and Vernier?

In truth, it doesn't.
    In the end, you either condone or condemn what was said.
    I know I'd be humiliated if a Viking radio personality stated advocating injuring a Packer player...even Al Harris (whom I dislike intensely).

Defending the indefensible?
    You're better than that.

Caine

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "PolarGrizz" wrote:
    This afternoon, Milwaukee Sports radio station WSSP AM 1250 afternoon "The Big Show" show hosts, Ex-Packer Gary Ellerson and Josh Vernier did a whole one hour bit on how they hope the Packers somehow hurt Favre, and whether or not it's classless for Packer fans to cheer for this.

They built their case for Injuring Favre around all of the "Wrong" that Favre had done to the Green Bay fans and organization, all this discussed as Ellerson and Vernier laughed on air while discussing the various ways that the Packers defense could, and should "Put Favre Out".

They even "jokingly" mentioned compound fractures, concussions, and even going as far toying with the prospects of spine boards and paralysis

Does anybody here agree with "The Big Show"?

If Allen has a chance to crippled Rodgers should he take it?
    Absolutely classless. Very bad energy. I do believe they have just cursed themselves.

This radio show discussion should clear up any possible confusion as to why they are called cheeseheads. Smelly, dehydrated, fermented milk that has a tendency to cause constipation. Cheeeez heds.
    Here is the thread on the PackersHome forum. Looks like Vikings fans have done some of that "cursing" you speak so self-righteously about.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts I could find...a crap load of references RIGHT HERE, about the same guy, and the desire of some to injure him.
    Don't think so?
    It is classless.
    It is also not unique to any team, including, possibly especially--Your own.

I wouldn't expect this to be understood.
    See "Hit myself with a no-bounce to appreciate the perspective"

http://packershome.com/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=6406

I found this one enlightening:

When I was a kid, we always used to attend the Packer-Viking game in Bloomington at old Metropolitan Stadium (and one year at Memorial Stadium at the U).

I'll never forget the game where, after it came over the stadium PA system that Gale Sayers had tore up his knee badly, a lot of the Viking fans in my vicinity cheered. And for the longest time that memory shaped my belief that Viking fans were lower on the evolutionary chain than Packer fans or other ethical beings.

In recent years, of course, I've realized that one finds no shortage of equally bad excuses for human beings among the ranks of "Packer fans." People who don't understand the difference between hitting to be remembered and hitting to injure, between a hard hit and a cheap hit, between an attempt to tackle with relish and relishing the harming.

Any one who wishes Favre to suffer injury can, to mind, go spend their Sundays wherever PortaPotties get emptied.

Hmmm. I'm certain that no radio station here would host ex-Vikings players conversing about or promoting acts of violence on the football field for the purpose of seriously harming another player. As for finding posts here supporting that kind of thing......be my guest, and have a look-see. My position is the same, no matter who the team is. Including my own. But that wasn't the subject of this thread, was it?
    Next time, when you feel the urge to condescend to someone, go elsewhere.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Caine" wrote:
    Defending the indefensible?
    You're better than that.

Caine
    If it came off as defending them, I apologize, was not the point of the post.

Using examples to offset comments like this..

History is not on the Packers side here.
    I remember in 1986 in a game between Chicago and Green Bay. A Packer defensive end named Charles Martin grabbed Jim McMahon out fo the blue after the whistle blew and just threw him on his throwing shoulder.
    Clearly a cheap shot! Of course the packers got a 15 yard penalty, but the damage was done to McMahon, he wasn't the same QB after that hit.
    I wouldn't put it past some of the D line this coming game and if it happens just like in baseball you can expect retrabution.
    Or This

Packers fans are such babies. It reminds me of that video where those Green Bay supertards watching the draft call the Packers GM a "Nazi-Jew" for his "gay" draft pick.
    Nothing more.. I am the first to admit that we have jackasses amongst us in Packer nation. These two chowder heads just moved up that embarrassing spreadsheet.

Call it, a certain aversion to being clumped in with the likes of these knuckleheads that have a poor sense of sport.

dfosterf is offline Coach

"Freya" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "PolarGrizz" wrote:
    This afternoon, Milwaukee Sports radio station WSSP AM 1250 afternoon "The Big Show" show hosts, Ex-Packer Gary Ellerson and Josh Vernier did a whole one hour bit on how they hope the Packers somehow hurt Favre, and whether or not it's classless for Packer fans to cheer for this.

They built their case for Injuring Favre around all of the "Wrong" that Favre had done to the Green Bay fans and organization, all this discussed as Ellerson and Vernier laughed on air while discussing the various ways that the Packers defense could, and should "Put Favre Out".

They even "jokingly" mentioned compound fractures, concussions, and even going as far toying with the prospects of spine boards and paralysis

Absolutely classless. Very bad energy. I do believe they have just cursed themselves.

This radio show discussion should clear up any possible confusion as to why they are called cheeseheads. Smelly, dehydrated, fermented milk that has a tendency to cause constipation. Cheeeez heds.
    Here is the thread on the PackersHome forum. Looks like Vikings fans have done some of that "cursing" you speak so self-righteously about.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts I could find...a crap load of references RIGHT HERE, about the same guy, and the desire of some to injure him.
    Don't think so?
    It is classless.

When I was a kid, we always used to attend the Packer-Viking game in Bloomington at old Metropolitan Stadium (and one year at Memorial Stadium at the U).

I'll never forget the game where, after it came over the stadium PA system that Gale Sayers had tore up his knee badly, a lot of the Viking fans in my vicinity cheered. And for the longest time that memory shaped my belief that Viking fans were lower on the evolutionary chain than Packer fans or other ethical beings.

In recent years, of course, I've realized that one finds no shortage of equally bad excuses for human beings among the ranks of "Packer fans." People who don't understand the difference between hitting to be remembered and hitting to injure, between a hard hit and a cheap hit, between an attempt to tackle with relish and relishing the harming.

Any one who wishes Favre to suffer injury can, to mind, go spend their Sundays wherever PortaPotties get emptied.

Hmmm. I'm certain that no radio station here would host ex-Vikings players conversing about or promoting acts of violence on the football field for the purpose of seriously harming another player. As for finding posts here supporting that kind of thing......be my guest, and have a look-see. My position is the same, no matter who the team is. Including my own. But that wasn't the subject of this thread, was it?
    How do you know what your radio stations will or will not do?
    If they do, does that reflect upon all Vikings fans, or is that only germane (big word, sorry) if that happens in Wisconsin? You can't even read what your own fellow members have written in this very same forum.
    Heck, you can't even read what they have said in this very same thread...A strong argument could be made that some of the comments..uhhhh, rrrriight here in this thread by some of your classy fellow Vikings fans admit to to the same conduct you so condescendingly ascribe to all Packer fans, apparently.
    If that was not the intent, I'd suggest getting a better command of the English language prior to making strongly opinionated statements.
    Sorry I can't coddle to you like your purple brethren.
    I just wish that people that write also knew how to read.

What a joke.

Here's another on what this "thread is not about'.
    Also in Milwaukee, btw.
    Article in the JSOnline about soft sales for this game.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/63007317.html

"Minnesota people are cheap people," Holzberger said. "They are bringing the price down."
    Should I start a thread about that?
    Using some of the logic (or lack thereof) on display here should I assume that everyone in Minnesota is cheap?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "PolarGrizz" wrote:

Don't think so?
    It is classless.

If they do, does that reflect upon all Vikings fans, or is that only germane (big word, sorry) if that happens in Wisconsin? You can't even read what your own fellow members have written in this very same forum.
    Heck, you can't even read what they have said in this very same thread...A strong argument could be made that some of the comments..uhhhh, rrrriight here in this thread by some of your classy fellow Vikings fans admit to to the same conduct you so condescendingly ascribe to all Packer fans, apparently.
    If that was not the intent, I'd suggest getting a better command of the English language prior to making strongly opinionated statements.

What a joke.

Get real. You know full well, we will see the underbelly of human inadequacy and waste of space lurking in the fan base of both teams.

That's no reflection on you or me.

The radio station was probably trying to be funny. But humor almost always comes at someone elses expense.

I love to see someone get knocked flat on the field. Especially our most hated rivals.

But never wish to see anyone get hurt.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    [quote author=PolarGrizz link=topic=53470.msg1001392#msg1001392 date=1254344026]

Don't think so?
    It is classless.

What a joke.

Get real. You know full well, we will see the underbelly of human inadequacy and waste of space lurking in the fan base of both teams.

That's no reflection on you or me.

The radio station was probably trying to be funny. But humor almost always comes at someone elses expense.

I love to see someone get knocked flat on the field. Especially our most hated rivals.

But never wish to see anyone get [s]hurt.[/s]
    [/quote]

Somebody else put it best...

Hurt?
    Absolutely - make those hits as painful as possible, strike fear in the opponent.
    Injured?
    Absolutely not.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "dfosterf" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    "PolarGrizz" wrote:

Don't think so?
    It is classless.

What a joke.

Also in Milwaukee, btw.

"Minnesota people are cheap people," Holzberger said. "They are bringing the price down."
    Using some of the logic (or lack thereof) on display here should I assume that everyone in Minnesota is cheap?
    If they do, does that reflect upon all Vikings fans, or is that only germane (big word, sorry) if that happens in Wisconsin?
    LMAO! Really? Germane? I would have been more impressed if you had looked up a more felicitous word to use in that sentence. Condescend, much? If you are so superior, why are you here?
    Your second question is hypothetical. Does the fact that Minnesota radio has not descended into the gutter in this fashion bother you?

You can't even read what your own fellow members have written in this very same forum.
    Show me. Show me where I ascribed this specific kind of CONDUCT to ALL PACKER FANS. (Capitol letters used as a courtesy to emphasize where to apply comprehension techniques when re-reading what I wrote)

This is a forum. People express strong opinions here. It’s expected. If it hurts your feelings or offends your Packer backing morals, you should know you are free to leave at any time. I didn’t attack you personally to begin with, you attacked me.
    But thanks for playing.

LMAO..again.
    Were you under the impression that I thought you should? Please don’t. But to clear things up, let me tell you now, that not one word of my post was intended to garner any attention from you, whatsoever.

What a joke.
    Yes. Although I’m sure we wouldn’t agree in what way. Evidently, it is the nature of the beast. However, in our defense I would like to point out that it isn’t the Viking nation that bids a host’s farewell to other teams with their bare asses.

Also in Milwaukee, btw.

It doesn’t matter to me if you start a thread. Furthermore, I don’t care if you think everyone in Minnesota is cheap.
    I’m more interested as to why you aren’t attacking the author of that article for writing:

The game features hated division rivals, rabid fan bases on both sides, the dreams of two franchises with playoffs in mind, and the prospect of Brett Favre lining up at quarterback against his former team.
    That guy called you and your fellow fans rabid. And “hated” is a pretty strong word, don’t you think? Yes, I know he called both sides rabid. But here again, I am not so offended by this generalization that I will let it turn me into an idiot. Fetch?
    ;D

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

dfosterf is offline Coach

Thank goodness some on here are worth talking to.

Others get quite emotional.
    ;D

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    ....I am the first to admit that we have jackasses amongst us in Packer nation...
    What can you expect?
    Generations of drinking cheap beer on tap in every corner of the state, it has to take its toll at some point.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast