Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Bucs at Vikings (Articles)

Post articles here associated with our first home game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers!

NFL.com Quick Take:

Bucs look to rebound on road vs. Vikings

Why to watch
    The Buccaneers are the cardiac kids of the NFL. They're never really out of a game and Josh Freeman nearly pulled another comeback last week. Even in defeat, he's a joy to watch and this plucky group will have to rebound on the road. The Vikings, after posting a dismal 39 passing yards at San Diego, unveil Donovan McNabb to the home crowd for the first time.

Inside story
    LeGarrette Blount wasn't pleased with his workload in Week 1, and the Bucs couldn't run the ball at all. The Vikings looked fairly stout up front against the Chargers and Adrian Peterson is fresh and primed. I'm not sure the upstart will be able to keep up with the master in this one.
    Last edited by MulletMullitia; 09-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    Musgrave vows team will take more shots down the field

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129896258.html

Posted by Mark Craig

Vikings fans will be happy to hear that offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave also believes that one shot down the field isn't nearly enough over the course of 60 minutes.

Asked today if he thinks it's important to take more shots down the field, Musgrave not only said it is, but vowed it will happen.

"It is important," Musgrave said. "That's what we're based on is running the ball, featuring Adrian [Peterson] but at the same time getting our quarterback in a rhythm, both down the field and also possession and control-type passes. That's what we want to be and that's what we will be."

It's been a long week for Musgrave as he's had to digest a performance that saw the offense generate 187 total yards, including 26 in the second half of Sunday's 24-17 loss at San Diego. Sunday can't come quickly enough, he said.

"We're really looking forward to this week, as you guys can imagine," Musgrave said. "Champing at the bit to get back out there on the field, especially at home, Mall of America Field, and get after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"We sure envisioned things going differently than they did in the second half. I think we've done a good job this week of leaving no stone unturned, not only as coaches but as players to get that corrected in the future."

Musgrave was asked if quarterback Donovan McNabb passed up any called deep passes on Sunday.

"Thinking back on it, it seems like it was a long time ago because we're focused on Tampa," Musgrave said. "But there may have been a couple. There may have been one to [tight end Visanthe Shiancoe] in the first quarter that the safety came down and covered him a little bit and Donovan did a good job of moving on in the progression."

Blog Entries
    5 things to watch against Tampa Bay

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129876873.html

Posted by Mark Craig

The NFL has informed us that the Vikings do indeed have another 15 games to play. So let's (finally) put the Chargers game behind and look ahead to Sunday's home opener against the Buccaneers.

Here are five areas of concern or hope:

1, Better wrap up Blount: According to STATS, Inc., Bucs running back LeGarrette Blount led the NFL in broken tackles as an undrafted rookie in 2010. He had 29 of them in just 201 carries. The Giants' Ahmad Bradshaw (276 carries) and Washington's Ryan Torain (164) were second with 24 apiece. According to everyone who watched the Chargers game last Sunday, the Vikings' tackling was terrible in the second half. Even Antoine Winfield missed three tackles. Unheard of for him.

2, Penn vs. Jared Allen: A favorable matchup for Allen becomes even moreso with the crowd noise generated inside the Metrodome. Penn got the big payday a few years back, but he's hardly an elite left tackle. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Penn, a former Vikings' practice squad player, gave up six sacks, nine more knockdowns and 36 pressures in 2010.

3, Young and experienced: It will be interesting to see the young Bucs react to the Metrodome. This is the youngest team in the league by a ton. Their average age is 25 years, 178 days. The next youngest NFL team is Seattle at 26 years, 44 days. A year ago, the Bucs became the first team to start 10 different rookies in a season and finish with a winning record (10-6) since the 1970 merger (not counting the 1987 strike season). Then, a week ago, the Bucs had six players making their NFL debuts, including four members of this year's draft class.

4, Freeman a rising star. One of the overlooked rising young stars at quarterback is Josh Freeman. He's only 23, but he's talented and, equally important, plays with poise and leadership. After the team's poor first half last week, Freeman led the Bucs to a near come-from-behind win in the fourth quarter. The Bucs outgained the Lions in total yards 187-17 in the fourth quarter, but lost 27-20.

5, Beware the cornerbacks: Assuming the Vikings attempt to re-install the forward pass into their game plan, the Bucs' cornerbacks are a dangerous group. Ronde Barber has 40 career touchdowns and 14 defensive touchdowns in a career that began approximately 300 years ago. Aqib Talib returned an interception for a touchdown in last week's loss. Talib, while dangerous, also is more of a gambler than typically seen in a Tampa 2 scheme. Considering the Vikings' anemic passing attack, he might be trying to jump routes, so there's a chance the Vikings could catch him out of position. Of course, a team that attempted just one deep ball in Week 1 will need to get a lot better in the passing game first.

Blog Entries
    Vikings' defense to be challenged by big Bucs

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129826053.html

Article by Dave Campbell

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Antoine Winfield shook his head and winced. As one of the NFL's surest tacklers, he's not used to whiffing.

"That's definitely not the example I want to set for the younger guys," the Minnesota Vikings cornerback said. "That's not something I want to put on film. You'll see trust me a better effort out of our defense this week."

Winfield and fellow cornerbacks Cedric Griffin and Chris Cook held their own in pass coverage against San Diego's wide receivers, keeping quarterback Philip Rivers from going deep. But after doing the hard part well, the Vikings let the Chargers move the ball in the pivotal second half of last Sunday's season opener by completing a bunch of second-option short throws to running backs and tight ends and many times failing to tackle the receivers right away.

"It's mostly our fault," said Winfield, the 5-foot-9, 180-pound, 13-year veteran who has long been one of the toughest players in the league despite his size.

So this week, the Vikings have taken a back-to-basics approach on defense. Most of it is mental.

Blog Entries
    Buccaneers and Vikings will try to avoid 0-2 starts

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201109...view=fullstory

By Associated Press

Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman might have thrown the ball too much, while Minnesota's Donovan McNabb may not have tossed it enough in Week 1.

The quarterbacks will be trying to lead more balanced offenses when the Buccaneers and Vikings go for their first wins Sunday in Minneapolis.

Tampa Bay fell 27-20 to visiting Detroit last Sunday as the Buccaneers struggled to keep the Lions off the field.

Despite the lack of passing offense, the Vikings aren't concerned that they are too reliant on Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 98 yards on 16 carries.

"We've got the best running back in the National Football League and we're grateful for that and we like the way our offense is structured," Frazier said. "We just got to keep working to get a rhythm and find the balance that we need. But I like our situation. I like the fact we got No. 28 in our backfield."

Frazier said things will balance out, which would help keep the defense fresh. San Diego was on the field for just over 37 of the 60 minutes.

"Everything that we do is based on getting (Peterson) going because it opens up so many things for our offense," he said. "But there has to be balance. We understand that. But because of so much attention being paid to Adrian, it opens up so many opportunities for other players on our offense."

McNabb and the offense may have an easier time gaining yards against Tampa Bay, which failed last week to put much pressure on Matthew Stafford, who threw for 305 yards while completing 72.7 percent of his passes. The Buccaneers also failed to record a sack after finishing tied for 30th in the league with 26 a year ago.

Tampa Bay has won four in a row over Minnesota, including 19-13 at home in the most recent meeting Nov. 16, 2008.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Musgrave vows team will take more shots down the field

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129896258.html

Posted by Mark Craig
    Thanks for the read my friend. I listened (and posted) a vid of Leslie from last week were he said basically the same thing.

"Dnabb didn't really check out of many deep calls".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Buccaneers and Vikings will try to avoid 0-2 starts

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201109...view=fullstory

By Associated Press

Everything that we do is based on getting (Peterson) going because it opens up so many things for our offense," he said. "But there has to be balance. We understand that. But because of so much attention being paid to Adrian, it opens up so many opportunities for other players on our offense."
    Again, thanks for the read. I kindof like that para.......Links with what a certain yutz has been spewing forth today about being balanced out of your base set.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikings' defense to be challenged by big Bucs

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129826053.html

Article by Dave Campbell
    I had a chuckle when Whinny tried to arm tackle Tolbert at the line. He's a good tackler, but he ain't stopping that brute with an arm tackle.

Heck, after Whinny missed, he ran over a S, who actually tried to tackle him with the right technique.

5 things to watch against Tampa Bay

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...129876873.html

Posted by Mark Craig
    Good stuff. I didn't remember Penn being on our practice squad. Regardless, the matchup isn't there. All Penn has to do is take JA deep.

The matchup is the bigs on the inside. Will Remi and Guion create enough push so that the young QB doesn't have a clean pocket to step up into?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good stuff. I didn't remember Penn being on our practice squad. Regardless, the matchup isn't there. All Penn has to do is take JA deep.

The matchup is the bigs on the inside. Will Remi and Guion create enough push so that the young QB doesn't have a clean pocket to step up into?
    That's a great question. I really hope so. I miss Kevin Williams so much! If we don't get pressure on Freeman, he will eat us alive. I hope Pagac keeps dialing up the blitzes, just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast