Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bengals Preview

odell is offline Waterboy

Re: Bengals Preview

GB Slackers, not sure where the team enters or leaves, sorry.

canadian, Pollack has been okay, but he did show up really late (about a week after Erasmus). He played a little in the preseason, but primarily at DE in passing situations and didn't look that great rushing the passer.

Currently, he isn't starting, but still got a decent amount of PT in week 1 against Cleveland, tying for the team lead in tackles. I haven't been overly impressed with him so far, but the coaches seem to love him and Marvin Lewis has drafted extremely well, so I am confident that he will make an impact. He plays linebacker primarily but will blitz a lot. The coaches expect that Odell and Pollack will eventually be the leaders of our D and they both play hard and with attitude so that is a good thing.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"odell" wrote:
    A couple questions for you guys:

Erasmus James was one of the guys I hoping for in the draft. I think I saw that he didn't play in the first game. What's going on with him? How did he look in the preseason?

Who do you think will cover Chad, Smoot or Winfield(who by the way is one of my favorite buckeyes of all time)?

What is your primary offensive set? 2 wide, 3 wide? 1 back or 2?

Thanks
    First of all... Welcome Odell! Great first post. Now to your questions.

1. Erasmus looked pretty good in preseason and won the starting job that was "Darrion Scott's to lose". He looked very fast off the snap.

2. I would guess it would be primarily Winfield considering that he is our first corner. I like the matchup. Should be fun to watch. Chad will get a lot of double teams though.

3. Not sure...

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Odell,

Welcome. Your cats will probably lose this week and should scratch up the bears and will have a big let down if you let Davis Carr beat you. I think Palmer is due for his breakout year. If the Vikes play there best game and the Bengals play there best game, the VIKINGS win. But as you can clearly see, when the Vikings are off, were no better than the Brownies.

Have fun watching the game.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"odell" wrote:
    GB Slackers, not sure where the team enters or leaves, sorry.

canadian, Pollack has been okay, but he did show up really late (about a week after Erasmus). He played a little in the preseason, but primarily at DE in passing situations and didn't look that great rushing the passer.

Currently, he isn't starting, but still got a decent amount of PT in week 1 against Cleveland, tying for the team lead in tackles. I haven't been overly impressed with him so far, but the coaches seem to love him and Marvin Lewis has drafted extremely well, so I am confident that he will make an impact. He plays linebacker primarily but will blitz a lot. The coaches expect that Odell and Pollack will eventually be the leaders of our D and they both play hard and with attitude so that is a good thing.

You play on the bengals D!! Wow a pro football player comin' on PP.O. Good to have you with us!! lol jk

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Odell, great post - I love having posters on here that are really knowledgeable about football. Not that I'm an expert or anything... :lol:

Yeah, as far as Carson Palmer, I definitely think he's an up-and-comer!!! I have him on one of my fantasy football teams...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

BADITUDE is offline Waterboy

I agree that the outcome of the game will be determined primarily in the trenches. Hearing about your offensive line woes may help balance against our young defense. When healthy, I believe our own OL can compete with any DL in the league, so that might be a toss up there, too.

I think the key player will be Dante. The Bengals defense will need to limit the effectiveness of the Vikings' running game (which under the circumstances with your OL is feasible) and eliminate long explosive plays in the passing game (we have a decent covering secondary which seems to have a penchant for take aways). The deciding factor will be in keeping Culpepper in the pocket and eliminate his opportunity to gain ground with his scrambling. We have a young defense with a lot of rookie and second year players who might not have the discipline to stay home to stop Dante from doing just that. You might be able to shut down Rudi Johnson up the middle with your bulk up the middle, but Perry has the speed and quickness to attack on the outside.

You have a very good defense, but we have beaten a lot of very good defenses, too. Chad will have to be double covered, no one has been able to so it alone yet. Chris Perry has shown the ability to be a factor as a receiver either out of the backfield or lined up wide like a WR. Palmer just seems to get better every time he plays.

Another factor could be our home crowd. The Jungle will be sold out with loudly screaming fans who have been anticipating this team since its success late last season. It is going to be LOUD.

Cicero is offline Waterboy

It is worth noting that over Carson's last four starts he has been the league's highest rated passer. Each game has been a 100+ rating. The Vikings task is two fold on defense. They must shut down Rudi Johnson and get some pressure on Palmer. Our offensive line is probably the most underrated in the game and getting into the back field will be tough without blitzing. Of cours ehwn you blitz you have to get there or Carson will eat you up.

On offense the Vikings must protect Culpepper and create some room for the running backs to run. Misdirection seems to work well against our front 7.

I think it will be a close game in the first three quarters but the Bengals pull away in the 4th quarter as Rudi Johnson takes over.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Everything I've heard lately seems to favor the Bengals beating the Vikes and I think that we'll recover shut down your run up the middle and take the win 21-10.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12