Thread: 3-4 Defense?

PntherPryd is offline Waterboy

3-4 Defense?

I've heard comments about the success of your 3-4 this week but can't remember if it was on here or on Sportscenter or just a figment of my imagination. :shock:

Any insight and/or links on your use of the 3-4 and if you expect it to continue?

Del Rio Guest

Re: 3-4 Defense?

We have been rotating in and out of 3-4 you will see it Sunday but it isn't our base set.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    We have been rotating in and out of 3-4 you will see it Sunday but it isn't our base set.
    From what I read this week it will become your base set after using it successfully for the majority of snaps against the pack.

Your new DC is one of if not THE most prominent practitioners of the 3-4 defense where he used it almost exclusivly while in Buffalo.

We used the 3-4 in '96 wihen Dom Capers brought it over from Pittsburgh and initially had success with it. But the league caught up to it and our personnel did not. You have to have a lot of healthy linebackers and get a consistent push from your front three.

You obviously went shopping for linebackers in the offseason and knew what you were getting in Cottrell so I'm surprised there's not more excitement that it is obviously coming together for you.

Del Rio Guest

That's because it hasn't come together for us LMAO.

Cottrell is horrible.

We will see.

I haven't read anywhere that the 3-4 is now our base set. I can guarantee that you will be seeing a lot of 4-3 Especially if Davis gets rolling.

Our defense has no idenity yet, every week they are getting better. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-4, but I would be surprised if Ted has made that our standard set.

Links to the story?

It was just the opening part of an article in the Charlotte Observer....

here's the link (you have to register) http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/13004042.htm

but this is pretty much all they had to say on it.....

If it ain't broke ... 3-4 defense likely here to stay

DAVE CAMPBELL

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings switched to a 3-4 defense as their primary scheme because of injuries, but their success playing it will probably prompt them to make it a permanent change.

With an extra linebacker on the field, it's automatically a faster unit. The key, though, is getting the front three to consistently penetrate the line - something they've done so far.

"I knew if the guys executed it correctly, like anything it would be all right," said coordinator Ted Cottrell, who used the 3-4 exclusively in Buffalo from 1998-2000.

"I hope we stick with it," said linebacker Sam Cowart.

Here's another link with a LOT more detail....... http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/MIN/9006441

Forced to use a 3-4 defense because of a lack of healthy ends, it appears the Vikings have had enough success with the look to stick with it as the base package.

Left end Spencer Johnson should be able to return from a knee injury Sunday in Carolina, meaning the switch back to a 4-3 base will be an option. The 4-3 certainly will be used but the Vikings coaches liked what they saw of the 3-4 in a Week 6 loss at Chicago and last Sunday's victory over Green Bay doesn't appear to have changed their opinion.

"I've had so much experience with it before," said defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who has used the 3-4 in previous coaching stops. "If the guys execute it correctly, I knew we would be all right. That's what they've done. Having Pat (Williams) really helps because he's so familiar with it."

Indeed, the nose tackle has looked outstanding in the past two games. Williams (6-3, 317 pounds) has spent much of his time in the opponents' backfield and last Sunday was far too much for undersized Green Bay center Scott Wells to handle.

There could be one other defensive twist in place at Carolina. Trailing 17-0 at halftime to Green Bay last Sunday, the Vikings coaches decided to have cornerback Fred Smoot blanket Packers receiver Donald Driver. The results were eye-opening.

Going against either Antoine Winfield or Smoot in the first half, Driver had six catches for 101 yards and a touchdown. With Smoot shadowing Driver and getting some safety help, the receiver was held to two grabs for 13 yards in the second half.

One key is that Smoot feels more comfortable playing press coverage than Winfield, making him potentially more of an irritant for receivers. If Smoot and Winfield can adjust to changing sides on a regular basis, Smoot could wind up on Carolina's Steve Smith throughout Sunday's game.

Lot's of good info there......I'm sending the link to Foxy too! :lol:

mrviking28 is offline Starter

DO NOT TELL PNTHERPRYD ANYTHING!
    This is obviously one Mr. Jake Delhomme attempting to get information.

Del Rio Guest

I appreciate the link thank you very much.

If he can make it work then I can't complain about it. I'm glad to see he is actually doing something productive though.

My only gripe is by going to a 3-4 you are essentially taking Lance Johnstone (OUR BEST pass rusher) out of the game. We had zero sacks against the Packers.

In a nutshell that is what sucks about the 3-4 and that is why no one runs it. It has too many holes. If you do get pressure on the QB it will come from the LB's blitzing in a 3-4 is standard but by blitzing you are opening up huge holes if the RB's can get past the line.

We don't get very much pressure with the 3-4, so that is making it hard on our DB's as we have seen. When the LB's stay at home it makes us a great run stopping team, but we are still getting beat deep every week.
    I'd rather have Johnstone in there getting that pressure.

Not to mention Kevin Williams has been damn near innefective in the 3-4 set up.

This is going to be a fun game to watch it sounds like!

"mrviking28" wrote:
    DO NOT TELL PNTHERPRYD ANYTHING!
    This is obviously one Mr. Jake Delhomme attempting to get information.
    Haha!

I'd type with a Cajun accent if that were true!

I don't know much about your personnel but I don't like the 3-4 for the same reason DelRio mentioned. Plus you have to have linebackers that can drop into coverage every play and with the level of TE's and big receiver play it is relatively easy to find a mismatch.

If it works more power to you but the 3-4 would make me nervous!

mrviking28 is offline Starter

3-4, 4-3, Nickel, Dime, etc... Our defense has made us nervous for a string of many years now.