Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Zygi's nepotism raises eyebrows

ZYGI'S NEPOTISM RAISES EYEBROWS
    29 June 2005

As the Wilf family overruns the Vikings' front office, some folks around the league are wondering whether new ownership is putting too many non-football people in prominent roles.

A trio of Wilfs will be running the show as Chairman, Vice Chairman, and President. Between them, they've got no experience running a football team.

Though it's not quite the Clampetts in Beverly Hills, a bunch of New Jersey real estate guys moving to Minnesota and talking over a chronically underachieving football team could be the premise for a network sitcom -- and it likely would be better than 80 percent of the 30-minute crap currently offered over the airwaves.

The concern in some league circles is that, even though the non-football guys don't have titles that typically are part of the football business, the Wilfs (or is it Wilves?) won't realize their limits, a la Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

As one league source consistently has explained to us, far more important than knowing what you know is knowing what you don't know. So successful owners know to let the football guys do the football thing, and successful owners know to stay away from football decisions.

It's hard to do, to be sure. Owners are successful guys, and football often looks easy to an outsider. So the challenge for the Triple Word Score clan will be to take care of the business side of the operation -- and to stay the hell away from the football side of the business.

We think they can do it. If they realize how important it is that they do.

LInk

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Re: Zygi's nepotism raises eyebrows

hmmmm. Good read. I hope that wilf doesn't run the vikes into the ground.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Could be an issue but let's hope not.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Come on guys,

This guy wilf, is a buisnesses man, and thats what the NFL is today "Buisness"...

If Wilf can do for the Vikings, what he's done in realestate, we are headed for some happy times....

I'm sure he will surround himself with those that DO KNOW FOOTBALL...This equals Championships.....

I'm glad he is the owner, and I take his word at this time that he intends to make the best of it with his family, fans, and team...And not to mention Future Heirs to his mega bucks.....

Everyone else is being negative, because their AFRAID

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet Guest

Yeah, I say more power to him. It looks like the perfect relationship, mutually beneficial. He can use his real estate prowess to build up his fortune with a new stadium and all the related money making ventures associated with this endeavor.

I agree that he will surround himself with people that are knowledgable about the game when needed. It appears that he didn't make his fortune by being an idiot.

Times are looking up for the Vikes.

Banana_Fish is offline Training Camp

Its FOOTBALL!! How can anyone not "know" football??? He isnt gonna make play calls during the game.. he isnt going to sub-in for bennet and carry the ball in superbowl... give him a break! He is a rich guy... very rich guy who "owns" the team and will be making executive decisions. I recall the media bashing on some owner(dont remember who).. for being a football guy.. and intruding too much into the running of the team... The media has a problem with anyone and everyone!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Here we go!!!!!!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    hmmmm. Good read. I hope that wilf doesn't run the vikes into the ground.
    Hey Michaelmazid,

The only thing Wilf will run us into is, that podium, where they hand him and the team that great big silver trophy... :grin:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Banana_Fish" wrote:
    Its FOOTBALL!! How can anyone not "know" football??? He isnt gonna make play calls during the game.. he isnt going to sub-in for bennet and carry the ball in superbowl... give him a break! He is a rich guy... very rich guy who "owns" the team and will be making executive decisions. I recall the media bashing on some owner(dont remember who).. for being a football guy.. and intruding too much into the running of the team... The media has a problem with anyone and everyone!
    How can anyone not know football??? Of course people can not know football. Donald Trump is an amazing businessman, he wasn't a good USFL owner. Treating football solely like a business is what McCombs did, that is why he was a crappy owner. We need someone who knows and cares about football. Owning a sports franchise has two goals. One is to make money and the other is to WIN. Sometimes, those goals don't run parallel to each other, especially when making executive decisions. Assuming any good businessman makes a good NFL owner is a very, very bad assumption.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Prophet Guest

Ideally, Zygi will make some skins doing his real estate stuff and look at the Vikings as more of a hobby. We need an owner that is willing to fork over the coin and and is a football fan. He must demand excellence from the team and get rid of the people that are subpar and underperformers. There are plenty of times that money should be spent and there is no direct return on the investment like in some business ventures that are not sports-based.

Redneck being gone is enough of a reason for celebration to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast