Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Zygi Wilf says Tice's job secure

Vikings notes: Owner says Tice's job secure
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

September 21, 2005 VIKE0921.Mike Tice's job is safe and everything is going to work out fine. So went the sentiments of Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, two days after a 38-7 loss at Cincinnati.

Speaking after a news conference to announce his stadium agreement with Anoka County, Wilf said he is confident the Vikings will reverse the momentum of their 0-2 start. Wilf spent several hours Monday speaking with his football staff.

"We're going to turn it around," Wilf said. "We spoke in detail with the coach and coaching staff and we know what we have to do. We have to get everybody back and energized and back in the winning ways. We're 0-2, but it's a long season ahead of us. Our main goal right now is still to win our division, and I think we can get back in our winning ways."

Wilf said after the Vikings' season-opening loss to Tampa Bay that he planned to take on a more active role in football operations. Asked what he believed should be done after discussing the situation with Tice, Wilf said: "I'll leave that to the coaches. I think you'll see some good results as the season progresses."

With the NFL abuzz with discussion of Tice's future, Wilf was asked if the coach's job is in jeopardy.

"No," Wilf said.

Playcalling redux

Tice declined to comment on who will call plays Sunday' against New Orleans, but indications remain that Tice at least will work in concert with offensive coordinator Steve Loney.

The Vikings have scored one offensive touchdown this season, and Tice was noncommittal Monday when asked whether he would take over the playcalling. Entering the season, he planned to have Loney coach the offensive line and work with quarterbacks coach Rich Olson to call plays. Tice planned occasionally to interject in the process.

If Loney remains the playcaller, another option would be to move him to the coaches booth. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper said he has no preference for Loney's position, adding, "Wherever he feels he can help us out the best, that's where he should go."

Injury report

Receiver Nate Burleson visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester for a second opinion on the sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Burleson is unlikely to play Sunday against New Orleans, paving the way for newcomer Koren Robinson to make a substantial debut.

According to ESPN.com, the Vikings released Robinson for the second time in three weeks Tuesday for paperwork purposes. He was immediately re-signed to a one-year contract worth the veteran's minimum of $540,000.

Rookie Troy Williamson would also get extensive time in three-receiver sets with Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson.

The news on safety Darren Sharper was better; Tice said the medial collateral ligament in Sharper's left knee is doing "great." Linebacker E.J. Henderson, who suffered a high right ankle sprain, is making steady progress.

Etc.

The Vikings worked out three defensive backs and two offensive linemen Tuesday but did not sign any of them.

The defensive backs were Curry Burns of Louisville, Jerrell Pippins of Nebraska and Marvin Ward of Northwestern The offensive linemen were Ross Tucker, who last played in Buffalo, and Iowa's Chad Setterstrom, who has played for New Orleans.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Zygi Wilf says Tice's job secure

Zygi seems to have some sense. If he did change coaches now, that means our season is down the toilet. Being a Giants fan, I am sure Wilf has seen an up and down or two. Thank goodness.

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikings notes: Owner says Tice's job secure
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

With the NFL abuzz with discussion of Tice's future, Wilf was asked if the coach's job is in jeopardy.

"No," Wilf said.
    Regardless of what he is thinking he has to say no until he cuts the chord.

Del Rio Guest

I think this could be a good move.

I was wondering, you know how we hear Tice always saying things about him probably getting fired, his job is on the line, such and such......

I think maybe that feeling is floating around the lockerroom, I think the staff feels the pressure and it is translating to the team. If Wilf did say that and he said his staff is energized now I think that could be a very good thing.

I imagine if my company got bought out there would be a lot of nervous people waiting to see what will happen, not being able to stay focused on their job.

Prophet Guest

Yes, good points. Of course, the whole team chemistry argument comes into play when the talent is there but the team isn't performing. Zygi is no fool, even if he has Tice on the short-leash he won't say that to the press.

As another press release states:

KFFL
    Vikings | Wilf Stands Behind Tice
    Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:06:59 -0700

The Star Tribune reports at the press conference to announce the Minnesota Vikings new stadium deal Tuesday, Sept. 20, owner Zygi Wilf was asked if head coach Mike Tice's job was in jeopardy. His simple reply was "No." Wilf said he talked to Tice and he expects "good results as the season progresses."
    So, Tice has no worries, but Zygi expects 'good results as the season progresses.'

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, good points. Of course, the whole team chemistry argument comes into play when the talent is there but the team isn't performing. Zygi is no fool, even if he has Tice on the short-leash he won't say that to the press.

KFFL

The Star Tribune reports at the press conference to announce the Minnesota Vikings new stadium deal Tuesday, Sept. 20, owner Zygi Wilf was asked if head coach Mike Tice's job was in jeopardy. His simple reply was "No." Wilf said he talked to Tice and he expects "good results as the season progresses."
    So, Tice has no worries, but Zygi expects 'good results as the season progresses.'
    That part you have in bold came from this quote in the original article:

Wilf said after the Vikings' season-opening loss to Tampa Bay that he planned to take on a more active role in football operations. Asked what he believed should be done after discussing the situation with Tice, Wilf said: "I'll leave that to the coaches. I think you'll see some good results as the season progresses."

...which is more an expression of confidence in the coaches than anything else. It's not Zygi putting pressure on Tice as you implied.

Prophet Guest

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

KFFL

That part you have in bold came from this quote in the original article:

...which is more an expression of confidence in the coaches than anything else. It's not Zygi putting pressure on Tice as you implied.
    Good point, I didn't catch that.

I didn't imply that, it was the tweaked summary and quote from KFFL.

I do, however, believe that is what Zygi meant if you read between the lines. Now I'm officially on record implying that is what Zygi meant.

Prophet Guest

Zygi's confidence in Tice may have something to do with his new look. He does look a little brighter.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

He probaly told them behind close doors fix it our I will fix you.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The dreaded "vote of confidence"...Tice is gone by the bye if he doesn't start winning!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast