Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Zygi Wilf plays Monday morning quarterback!!!

Zygi Wilf promised his wife that when he bought the Minnesota Vikings, he wouldn't get awfully… terribly… dreadfully upset when the team lost a game. At least not in the way he behaved when he was a huge New York Giants fan as a young, married man.

The new Vikings owner, now 55, told the St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce this morning that when the Giants lost, he became almost catatonic; unable to discuss the game with his wife for days.

Those times are supposed to be over. Gone. Finished. But…

"I haven't to spoken to her yet,' Wilf said at a chamber breakfast gathering, meeting his audiences' giggles with merely a half-smile on his face.

Wilf was not at all happy with Sunday's opening-season game, when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came into the Metrodome and beat his team 24-13.

"My passion is to be a winner,' he said.

The owner told the audience that he didn't want to be a "Monday morning quarterback,' a description applied to someone who second-guesses a team's decisions. Then he thought — wait a minute! — "I am the Monday morning quarterback!"

So Wilf said he will devote the same kind of energy to winning as he spent building his real estate development company into one of the largest such businesses in the United States."

"I have to be active,' he said. "I'm not going to call the plays, but I have to make sure all the people do the right things.'

His subtle sense of humor, standing in contrast to the blunt manner of former owner Red McCombs, seeped out during a question-and-answer period, when someone in the catering business asked Wilf if he would consider employing his business to make team meals.

Wilf thanked him for the offer and said he'd check out the state of dining at Vikings headquarters. "Maybe it was the food,' he said, referring to the team's poor performance on the field.

Wilf fielded several questions about the team's stadium situation; one from Robert Naegele Jr., lead owner of the Minnesota Wild, who wanted to know when a new stadium would open.

"2010 or 2011,' Wilf said, the latter being the last year of the team's contract at the Metrodome.

He said the Vikings and Anoka County are "very close" to completing a formal stadium deal to submit to the state Legislature, in the event Gov. Tim Pawlenty calls a fall special session to deal with stadium requests from the Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota, along with a few other issues.

Wilf was scheduled to have lunch at the governor's residence to talk about the proposed stadium, which the Vikings and Anoka County want to build in Blaine, with the state's help.

"I understand they've got some new proposal they're working on, so it'll just be hearing that out,' Pawlenty said this morning. It was not clear if the proposal is truly new, or simply a finalized version of the deal being put together by the team and the county.

The parties to the deal want to build a stadium costing roughly $600 million as part of a $1.5-million commercial development on 740 acres at Interstate 35W between 101st and 109th avenues.

In response to another question this morning, Wilf, who develops both commercial and residential projects, said there are still great opportunities for builders to participate in "steady, controlled growth' in the Twin Cities area. He repeated his interest in undertaking a variety of projects around the stadium and elsewhere in the metropolitan area.

Pat Sweeney contributed to this article. Aron Kahn, who covers the business and politics of sports, can be reached at [email protected] or 651-228-5569.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Zygi Wilf plays Monday morning quarterback!!!

I like this new found commitment to WINNING! Go Zygi just don't become like the Skins owner.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

SamDawg84 Guest

I love how he says he has a "passion" for winning.. That tickles my fancy

Prophet Guest

The owner told the audience that he didn't want to be a "Monday morning quarterback,' a description applied to someone who second-guesses a team's decisions. Then he thought — wait a minute! — "I am the Monday morning quarterback!"
    Gotta love it. I think Zygi may have to stop by the site on Mondays and vent a little when the Vikings lose. lol

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

PTI on ESPN just talked about this and said Zygi is an idiot basically and he should stay out of it and just be an owner.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

Num1mossfan is offline Training Camp

Tice era ending soon...?

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

"Num1mossfan" wrote:
    Tice era ending soon...?
    i sure hope so!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"fred3105" wrote:
    PTI on ESPN just talked about this and said Zygi is an idiot basically and he should stay out of it and just be an owner.
    HA! HA! ROTFLMFAO!!

Are you kidding me!?!? For the first time since the loss I actually felt better (reading the article above) and then PTI says this! What a joke! Anybody that drops 600,000,000.00 dollars on a business SHOULD have a say!

(no-I don't think that he should be in the locker room after a loss yelling at players though...ya you Red)

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Hopefully he doesn't try and be Al Davis....

Guruzen is offline Starter

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

HA! HA! ROTFLMFAO!!

Are you kidding me!?!? For the first time since the loss I actually felt better (reading the article above) and then PTI says this! What a joke! Anybody that drops 600,000,000.00 dollars on a business SHOULD have a say!

(no-I don't think that he should be in the locker room after a loss yelling at players though...ya you Red)
    Totally agree! I mean, granted he should give the coaching staff some space, but he has every right to be putting the pressure on them when we put up a miserable performance like that.

It's a coach's job to get the most out of his players, and to make sure players perform their best. Ted Cottrell did his job... but the guy who "knows offense" obviously didn't!

We have the talent... now it's up to the coaches to make sure that translates to performance and plays. If I am Zygi I would be furious at the offensive coaches!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast