Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Zygi Wilf plans to be more hands-on next year

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Idon't know about the rest of you, but the thought of Wilf having a say in the draft makes my stomache cringe.

Especially with his limited football knowledge.

Just how far & deep are his hands going to go in the day to day football operations?
    well wasn't he a giants fan since the 60's ? i think tht if your a fan for over 40 years you know some football
    I've been an involved fan of football at all levels for approximately 30 years.
    And that don't qualify me to be in the room any more than Wilf is qualified.
    Maybe he sees more data, but I don't recall his resume saying anything about time as a player, coach or other evaluator of talent.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Idon't know about the rest of you, but the thought of Wilf having a say in the draft makes my stomache cringe.

Just how far & deep are his hands going to go in the day to day football operations?
    well wasn't he a giants fan since the 60's ? i think tht if your a fan for over 40 years you know some football
    I don't think you can compare being a fan, to having experience runing a football organisation.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:

I didn't see anywhere that said that.
    He said that the Vikings organization was going to put a lot of emphasis on the draft, and that the Vikings were going to be more involved in the draft, but never said that he directly was gong to be more involved.

He did say he was going to be more involved in football operations as a whole, but not in the decision making role.

Wilf said Tuesday he plans to get "much more" involved in the team's football operations, either by spending more time at Winter Park or through videoconferencing technology. He will not move into a daily decision-making role, but Wilf said his involvement should spur vibrant internal debate and bring another perspective to discussions.
    What I took away from all the talk about the draft is that Wilf would rather build the team from the bottom up via the draft then bring in big name big money free agents.
    It isn't saying that he will ignore FA or trades, but more that he thinks the draft is more important.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I've been an involved fan of football at all levels for approximately 30 years.
    And that don't qualify me to be in the room any more than Wilf is qualified.
    Maybe he sees more data, but I don't recall his resume saying anything about time as a player, coach or other evaluator of talent.

=Z=
    BS to it all.

The guy is the owner.
    It doesn't take a lot of thought to see that his hands off approach has allowed a stubborn ass coach to piss off the fans to the point of the fans losing complete interest.
    Not to mention all the other shit going with it.

Zygi can remind Little Hitler and the rest of the goofs there in the ranks that being a coach isn't about being aloof.
    His job also comes with PR duties and all the rest he ignores.

I imagine Zygi is tired of watching these guys alienate his paying guests to games.

"Webby" wrote:
    BS to it all.

The guy is the owner.
    It doesn't take a lot of thought to see that his hands off approach has allowed a stubborn jiggly butt coach to piss off the fans to the point of the fans losing complete interest.

Not to mention all the other pooh going with it.

Zygi can remind Little Hitler and the rest of the goofs there in the ranks that being a coach isn't about being aloof.
    His job also comes with PR duties and all the rest he ignores.

I imagine Zygi is tired of watching these guys alienate his paying guests to games.
    And I think that's where he wants to get involved more with the team - on the PR front - at least that's how I read the article in the STrib this AM.

Having Boring Brad be the face of the franchise is not the best of choices, and Zygi seems to have gotten that.

=Z=

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Hire a real GM. Problems solved.
    The Lions have a GM.

=Z=
    No, the Lions have a joke for a GM.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

Singer I think you might have misunderstood Spielman has the final say in the draft.

After Foley was ousted in May, the Vikings hired Spielman as a replacement, and he needed time to acclimate himself. Now, Wilf said, Spielman will be empowered to make changes to his personnel staff as he sees fit and have the ultimate say on draft picks and at least significant input on free-agent acquisitions.
    Wilf said Spielman "is pushing everyone hard. Much harder than they have been in the past. And they are making everyone accountable for the decisions that are being made."

Previously, Wilf said the coaching staff made the draft-day decisions, although last year Scott Studwell, the director of college scouting, had significant clout, along with Childress.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Singer I think you might have misunderstood Spielman has the final say in the draft.

After Foley was ousted in May, the Vikings hired Spielman as a replacement, and he needed time to acclimate himself. Now, Wilf said, Spielman will be empowered to make changes to his personnel staff as he sees fit and have the ultimate say on draft picks and at least significant input on free-agent acquisitions.
    Wilf said Spielman "is pushing everyone hard. Much harder than they have been in the past. And they are making everyone accountable for the decisions that are being made."

Previously, Wilf said the coaching staff made the draft-day decisions, although last year Scott Studwell, the director of college scouting, had significant clout, along with Childress.
    Personally, I would rather have a random person from this website having a vote than to let Spielman have the final say.
    He is one of the weakest links.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"JellyBean2144" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Hire a real GM. Problems solved.
    The Lions have a GM.

=Z=
    No, the Lions have a joke for a GM.
    He didn't say "Hire a Good GM", he said a "Real GM".
    Millen is a real GM.
    A real lousy GM, but a real GM, nonetheless.

=Z=

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Spielman was on with PA from Kfan last night on his Vikings weekly show, I missed the part with Childress but was able to listen to his interview with Spileman.

PA asked Spielman if there was any chance he would be interested in Randy Moss and Spielman started laughing before he caught himself and then said never say never, but you could tell the laugh was spontaneous and that there is no chance he will look at Randy Moss.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast