Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Zygi Wilf: 'I've Been Blessed'

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press;
    Posted on Mon, Apr. 17, 2006

[size=18px]'I'VE BEEN BLESSED'[/size]

Sometimes, I buy land on impulse. Sometimes, I buy a house on impulse. What impulse means to me is I don't take a week to decide. I see what I like and act quickly. That's impulsive to me. Some would say I've done that with the Vikings.

I'm not going to deny the fact I have money. But the belief that the team constantly is making money is erroneous. We do need a stadium to be financially sound. It's not so much that I need a stadium; the fans need a stadium.

I'm not making any money. I'm really a welfare recipient compared to the rest of the league.

A lot of teams are successful from their stadiums. We don't even have concessions revenue in our place. Until we get a stadium, we'll be a significant welfare recipient and not be making money. It's not going to deter us from spending money to get the best players. It is going to put us deeper and deeper into a hole until we get a stadium done.

If I found Aladdin's Lamp and was given one wish, I'd want a Super Bowl championship.

I wish the Giants well, but if it has anything to do with the Vikings, I don't wish them well. The signed football I got as a kid and my Lawrence Taylor jersey are all I have left from my days as a Giants fan.

I have one Vikings game ball in my office. The other game ball, which I received after our win over the Giants, I gave to my son, Jason. It was his 25th birthday. When I got it, I flipped it over to him and said, "Happy birthday." It made his day.

I first thought about owning an NFL team back when the Giants won the Super Bowl in 1991 and there was some talk about one of the partners wanting to sell. I never was really serious about it until 2000, when the Jets were up for sale.

Everything around me now has "Vikings" on it. I give Vikings pins to family, friends and employees. I'm very proud of being the owner, and I like everyone to be part of that spirit.

I'm a very excitable fan, and I still feel the same way as owner.

I love to ski. I love to hike. I like to go four- wheeling in the backcountry, where I stay in Colorado. I like to be outdoors and enjoy the scenery.

A long time ago, I was into hobbies, like stamp collecting. I haven't done that since I was a kid. I still have my collection. I was into trains, too. I passed the trains on to other members of the family.

My first year as owner of the Vikings was like a fan coming out and actually seeing his team up close. I was wide-eyed and excited more as a fan than as an owner. As the season progressed, I had to be involved and respond as an owner. The changes we have made, both in coaches and on the field, have made it our team.

I was in my early 20s the last time I didn't have a moustache. I would shave it off, but I have to have unanimous approval by my family to do that. My kids would like to see it off, but my wife has insisted it stay on.

I love chocolate. It soothes my mind, and it takes the edge off. They say chocolate is a happiness meal, and I tend to agree with it. It perks me up anytime I have it.

If I had a time machine, I would like to go to Feb. 11 at the Super Bowl and see me holding the Lombardi Trophy.

I'm a fan of the music of the time I grew up. The music of the '70s and late '60s is the type of music I like.

I sing in the shower. Basically, my voice stinks. I wouldn't give Simon Cowell the chance to hear me sing. I know what he'd say.

I like "The Godfather" I and II. I like comedies like "Animal House" and "Airplane." I also watch the oldies, like "Casablanca."

I'm a big fan of "West Wing." I like "The Sopranos" — it's a Jersey show. I like to watch that. I don't watch as much TV as I used to.

The best decision I ever made was to marry my wife.

If a movie was made about my life, it should be some good-looking actor who plays me. Maybe George Clooney with a moustache and glasses.

My favorite actors are Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino.

I wouldn't change anything about my life. I've been blessed and fortunate to be in this position.

The best advice I ever got was to enjoy life; you only have so much time on this earth.

I'm very fortunate to have my father still giving me advice. I have him by my side. He's been the one steering me and advising me all these years.

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Zygi Wilf, who, as owner of the Vikings, led them to Super Bowls for 10 consecutive years."

'I'VE BEEN BLESSED'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Zygi Wilf: 'I've Been Blessed'

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Zygi Wilf, who, as owner of the Vikings, led them to Super Bowls for 10 consecutive years."
    We can only hope

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Wow, this dude got some personality.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

This hole comment worries me a little.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

What hole?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

No ish he's been blessed! DUH!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vrehna is offline Rookie

That was a great read.

Good epitaph.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Sounds like a real fan. :grin: Hope he isn't disappointed. :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

mnrockstar is offline Rookie

i have never really trusted the guy but this has changed my views somewhat

Json is offline GM

I loved the idea he came out with this article. It makes the man a real person. I love that Zygi bought the Vikings.

I like the idea that he's a fan of football and a genious for a business man. I want nothing more then to see Zygi on Feb. 11th holding up the trophy as well.

GO VIKINGS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast