Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    Seattle claims to have a louder stadium, but there haven't been any actual measurements taken as far as I know.
    The "12th Man" signal is played when the crowd noise hits 100 decibals, so it is definately loud, but the dome has been know to hit 100 decibles too.
    I think the point though is that an open air or retractable roof stadium can be loud too.

    The xcel energy center is a bad comparasion for what a "real" stadium is.
    It only seats around 18,000, less than a third of what the dome currently seats.
    There are different considerations that need to be made when deisgning a football stadium because of its size.
    However, you are right when you say that the metrodome does not and will never generate enough revenue to be competitive because of its lack of amenities.

    I love the dome because it has been the home to my team for a good chunck of my life, but I am definately ready for a new stadium.
    I think it is funny how many people fondly recall the Old Met though... I loved the Met too, but it was a POS.
    The dome was a HUGE upgrade over it, even though it was no longer open air.
    My guess is that in 15 years people will be reminicing about the "good ole days" in the dome and finding things to complain about with the new stadium too.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #22
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for?
    long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating?
    impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    The sightlines are fine for football.
    I haven't had a single problem getting to the bathroom.
    I park 3 blocks away and am in my car and heading down 35W 15 minutes after the game is over.

    I like the Dome because it is loud, because it is centrally located with egress points heading in all directions and because I can feel my toes after games in December.


    The BAD part about the Dome is the lease.
    The Vikings are 32nd in the league in monies generated from their stadium and that's ALL due to the crappy lease with the Metropolitan Sports Commission.
    A better lease, a few improvements and, honestly, I think the Dome would be a great place to play for many years to come.

    =Z=
    I never thought I would see this day, I agree with purpleride.
    The dome is a p.o.s. and ranks right up there with the worst hell-holes to see an NFL game, even more so for an MLB game.
    The day they tear that place down can't come soon enough.
    Try watching a game at RFK (where the Nationals play)...now THAT is a hellhole!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  3. #23
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    the dome is great for watching a football game..if anything its a hell hole for watching baseball, but as far as sight lines, bathrooms, and concessions go, i think its a fantastic place to watch football..i used to be a season ticket holder when i lived in st louis, and i never thought the edward jones dome was any better than the metrodome for watching football..it wouldnt hurt to get a new stadium for the teams financial benefit, but i see no reason to sit around trashing the metrodome, its nowhere near being a 'hell hole'
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  4. #24
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for? long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating?
    impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    if u really think thats going to change noticably, then ur insane..the only problem with the metrodome is that it doesnt generate enough personal suite revenue, and the stupid exit doors
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    915

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "olson_10" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for? long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating?
    impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    if u really think thats going to change noticably, then ur insane..the only problem with the metrodome is that it doesnt generate enough personal suite revenue, and the stupid exit doors
    Have you ever been to the X in st paul?
    Totally different, better food, smaller lines, packed every game just like the dome.
    Better sound, better everything.
    I want a vikings stadium that people want to go to, a football type wrigley field, a place that ranks top 5 in all sports to go to.
    The dome is the worst place to watch any type of sport.
    It is junk, i would have thought people were smart enough to know the reason why it is so loud is because they pipe more noise through the speakers.
    But this is the "new" minnesota i guess.
    There is NO tailgating lots controled by the team, the vikings make no money off of parking.
    If you havent noticed, there are many stadiums now considered louder than the dome, if you want to keep that junk pile because its loud your insane!!!
    KC, loud as hel!, no roof, seattle, no roof.
    Build a smart stadium instead of a no thrill pack 'em in and shoo them out
    junk pile
    You republican whore!

  6. #26
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for?
    long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating? impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    Actually, I have been to a game or two and I have made it out of the dome.

    OK, I am a smart ass.

    But, it isn't that bad, maybe an extra few minutes out of your life.
    I am comparing it to the only other stadium that I have been to an NFL in, Reliant Stadium.
    At Reliant, you can get outside quickly, but you are made to go down the ramps, back and forth, still time consuming.

  7. #27
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for? long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating?
    impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    if u really think thats going to change noticably, then ur insane..the only problem with the metrodome is that it doesnt generate enough personal suite revenue, and the stupid exit doors
    Have you ever been to the X in st paul?
    Totally different, better food, smaller lines, packed every game just like the dome.
    Better sound, better everything.
    I want a vikings stadium that people want to go to, a football type wrigley field, a place that ranks top 5 in all sports to go to.
    The dome is the worst place to watch any type of sport.
    It is junk, i would have thought people were smart enough to know the reason why it is so loud is because they pipe more noise through the speakers.
    But this is the "new" minnesota i guess.
    There is NO tailgating lots controled by the team, the vikings make no money off of parking.
    If you havent noticed, there are many stadiums now considered louder than the dome, if you want to keep that junk pile because its loud your insane!!!
    KC, loud as hel!, no roof, seattle, no roof.
    Build a smart stadium instead of a no thrill pack 'em in and shoo them out
    junk pile
    Again, the xcel center is a third the size of the metrodome.
    And they haven't pumped artifical crowd noise into the stadium for about a decade (there is even a specific NFL rule against it).
    The Vikings also won't stand to make money off from parking regardless because they will contract it out, just like all the other teams.
    You are unreasonably negative toward the dome.
    Yes, we are in need of a new stadium, but there are some good points.

    For instance, the sightline for football in the dome are much better than any other stadium I have been to (and I have been to a decent number).
    The building was designed around a football field, which is one of the reasons the sightlines sucked so bad for baseball.

    it is funny that you want a stadium to compare to wrigley.
    have you ever been to wrigley.
    That was a POS before the upgrades, and now is only slightly better.
    People want to go to Wrigley because of the tradition, not because it is a nice stadium.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    915

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    "CStephanRun13" wrote:
    I have to admit, I like the Dome too much, singersp.
    But, if it reeeeaaalllly rocked, I'd like a new stadium.
    what do you like the dome for? long lines to the bathrooms, vendors?
    Bad sight lines?
    no tailgating?
    impossible to get out after the game, thats why so many fans leave early even if the game is close?
    The dome was a complete mistake from the beginning, only one more team before we can blow up that P.O.S.
    if u really think thats going to change noticably, then ur insane..the only problem with the metrodome is that it doesnt generate enough personal suite revenue, and the stupid exit doors
    Have you ever been to the X in st paul?
    Totally different, better food, smaller lines, packed every game just like the dome.
    Better sound, better everything.
    I want a vikings stadium that people want to go to, a football type wrigley field, a place that ranks top 5 in all sports to go to.
    The dome is the worst place to watch any type of sport.
    It is junk, i would have thought people were smart enough to know the reason why it is so loud is because they pipe more noise through the speakers.
    But this is the "new" minnesota i guess.
    There is NO tailgating lots controled by the team, the vikings make no money off of parking.
    If you havent noticed, there are many stadiums now considered louder than the dome, if you want to keep that junk pile because its loud your insane!!!
    KC, loud as hel!, no roof, seattle, no roof.
    Build a smart stadium instead of a no thrill pack 'em in and shoo them out
    junk pile
    Again, the xcel center is a third the size of the metrodome.
    And they haven't pumped artifical crowd noise into the stadium for about a decade (there is even a specific NFL rule against it).
    The Vikings also won't stand to make money off from parking regardless because they will contract it out, just like all the other teams.
    You are unreasonably negative toward the dome.
    Yes, we are in need of a new stadium, but there are some good points.

    For instance, the sightline for football in the dome are much better than any other stadium I have been to (and I have been to a decent number).
    The building was designed around a football field, which is one of the reasons the sightlines sucked so bad for baseball.

    it is funny that you want a stadium to compare to wrigley.
    have you ever been to wrigley.
    That was a POS before the upgrades, and now is only slightly better.
    People want to go to Wrigley because of the tradition, not because it is a nice stadium.
    How many people come to mn just to drive past wrigley let alone go to the game regardless of how good the team is??
    Compaire that to the metrodump.
    Big difference, thats what i was trying to say, build something that draws average fans to the gates.
    And to compaire the X, it was built with the mindset of making it a great venue before during and after the game, ever notice you can watch the game from a bar on the club level seats, not on tv, you sit and can watch the game over your shoulder.
    Thats a fricken stadium.
    The concourses(spelling) are wider than the dome, there are more concessions stand, more bars, more bathrooms.
    I can compaire the two, one was built as a quick fix to a bleacher stadium the other was built to attract people to the arena with or without a hockey game going on.
    I can compaire all i want between the two.
    I want a stadium built with the fans in mind, the dome was not, i want to be able to walk around before the game and see different views of the field, cannot do that at the dome, you have to walk in and out of the tunnels.
    I want a place, like limbo in sconsin where people flock to year around just to get a picture taken in front of it.
    The dome sucks, i hate going, i have to go just because my alliance with the vikings out does my hatered for the dome.
    And next year with another tailgating lot taken away from the fans, the place will be even less enjoyable.
    The X is a landmark arean, teams of all sports took notice when designing their own.
    Thats a fact, printed in ESPN mag, you know when the X was ranked top stadium/arena in pro sports.
    When was the metrodump ranked higher than 60?
    You republican whore!

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    Nobody is saying that the X isn't a great arena.
    It is.
    However, a football stadium with the same porpotion of luxuries to seat as the xcel would be cost prohibitive because of its size.
    And despite how nice it is, and what a great fan experience it is, I don't hear about anybody driving by it just to take their picture in front like in Wrigley.
    Like I said, it is the tradition than make people flock to stadiums and arenas like Wrigley and Lambeau, not the stadium amenities.

    The new stadium design does need to take some notes from the xcel (or from the Ralph in GF, or from Qwest field, etc...).
    Wider concourses (is the xcel really wider? it didn't seem that way to me), many more bathrooms, and better food (and more stands) are a must.
    I am not sold on the club bars... but others might be.
    I don't like watching the game over my shoulder, and if I wanted to go to a bar.. I would do that instead.


    For the new stadium I would rather the Vikes focus on the things that make football fun to watch, like a retractable roof, more comfortable seats, and great sightlines.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    IFletcher is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15

    Re: Zygi trying to buy land near Metrodome from the Star-Tribune

    If I'm not mistaken the same firm in Kansas City that did design on the X is doing work on the Twins Stadium design.
    That's what they are after, an intimate ballpark that will be an experience to itself.
    I don't know what plans the Vikings have, but I hope they have some of the same ideas.
    There is not real way to compare a hockey, baseball and football stadium.
    They should each be different like this.
    My biggest objection to the Metrodome is for baseball and it isn't necessarily about being indoors.
    Its that when I sit on the left field line I have to sit sideways in my chair to be facing homeplate.
    Sincerely,
    IM Fletcher

    I... can't figure out what I was doing in Utah this morning.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Star Tribune picks for tonight
    By slavinator in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM
  3. Vikings wait for Star Tribune sale to resume talks about land
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
  4. Star Tribune
    By PurplePeopleEaters89 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 12:19 AM
  5. star tribune pictures
    By Vikingsteve in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 12:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •