Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Zygi puts faith in the untested

"VikingNed" wrote:
    As for Patrick Reusse,

One of you guys or gals ( Country or WBL) living in MN., needs to go down to that news papers parking lot and catch ole Pat going to his car...

He needs to hear a few choice words, then get either a boot up his jiggly butt or a good ole beeyatch slap down. Hey, why not just give him both while at it.

The guy is a bum and should be living in Wisconson....
    In his own sarcastic way, he does make some valid points.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

terrible article reusse is a fool
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Toro" wrote:
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree. I think the article is bang on.

You have an owner with no experience being an owner hiring someone with no experience as a head coach, who then hired an offensive and defensive coordinator with no experience as co-ordinators and who have the combined age of Bud Grant, who wants to implement an offense that never actually won anything in Philadelphia all the while willing to give away a Pro Bowl QB for a bargain basement price because he doesn't supposedly fit the offense, and said new owner hired a personnel director on a team that first round draft picks were refusing to go to a mere two years ago!

FFS!

This has the makings of Les Steckel written all over it.

Man, I hope I'm wrong, but I have not been impressed so far.

This is a talented team that needed some adjustments, not to be torn down and built up again.
    I don't know what it takes to impress you Toro, but for me, having an owner who actually gives a crap about the team instead of the dollar behind it impresses me. Having a head coach who, as an offensive coordinator, helped bring his team to the superbowl only a year ago impresses me. Implementing the offense and defense that have enjoyed more success in the past decade than ony other ocmbination impresses me. The way the Chargers stuck it to Eli in 2004 impressed me (no player is better than the draft, especially him).

Red's refusal to put any money into the team did not impress me.
    Tice's inability to ascend from the lovable Player's coach to a coach that actually wins did not impress me.
    Cotrell's refusal to adapt any part of his defense to meet the onciming team (like refsuing to give Smoot any help over the top against Carolina) did not impress me.

This is a talented team. Just because the team may or may not be considering trading a player who may or may not be able to return to his Pro bowl self doesn't mean we are tearing the entire down.

I look forward to being even more impressed this coming season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Toro is offline Rookie

Look, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Zigi as owner than Red. I do think it was time for a change as head coach.

But there are a lot of potential problems.

Zigi has no experience running an NFL team.

The head coach has no experience as a head coach.

The head coach with no experience as a head coach hired an offensive co-ordinator who has no experience as an offensive co-ordinator, and is 36 years old.

The head coach with no experience as a head coach hired a defensive co-ordinator who has no experience as a defensive co-ordinator, and is 33 years old.

The director of player personnel from San Diego, or whatever his title, has no experience in his new position.

And they fired the frickin' trainer!

THAT's the problem!

There's no experience in their positions!

Its not one thing or another - it's all of them combined. That's what makes me worried! If they hired a guy with gray hair as one of the co-ordinators, or someone with extensive personnel experience in the NFL, I wouldn't be so vocal. But it frickin' worries me!

Now, who knows what is happening behind closed doors, but this Culpepper thing has been handled so badly - and I think it reflects on the lack of experience within the organization. Culpepper is just as much to blame for this. However, look at it from his POV. He probably realized after his injury that, like the rest of us, he's mortal. So now he's realized he's locked into a bad deal and wants to re-negotiate. As I've posted elsewhere here, well, too bad Daunte. Not after you just blew out your knee my man. But management is supposed to be smarter. They're supposed to rise above this. They're the ones who, with age, wisdom and experience, are supposed to be able to guide the team through difficult situations like this one. Well, maybe this is the best response, I don't know. But it sure in heck doesn't look like it.

And this West Coast offense stuff - why? Last time I checked, Minnesota has had a much more proficient offense over the past 5, 10 years than the Eagles. The Eagles got to where they were because they continuously sent more guys to the Pro Bowl on defense than on offense. So why is he coming in and making all this noise about changing offenses?

Remember, the Detroit Lions fired Wayne Fontes after a disappointing 9-7 season (or maybe it was 7-9, I can't remember) and handed the team off to an inexperienced GM who hired an inexperienced head coach who also wanted to run a West Coast offense. Now I'm not saying the same fate awaits the Vikings, but its not impossible either. And the best way to avoid such a fate is to have experienced coaches and management.

**** I hope I'm over-reacting.
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I just don't understand his argument. What's wrong with putting faith in new people with new plans? So what if they've never had that much responsibility or power before? It's not like hiring guys like Marty Shottenheimer, Dennis Green, Dick Vermiel etc. who have had that experience and power before is working all that well either. Finding the right staff for your team is a crapshoot. Sometimes you'll win, but more times than not, it's not the right guy. Were people thrilled about Belichick (who failed with the Browns) in New England when they first hired him? No. I say give a new guy with a lack of experience a shot, he's at least better than a guy who has proven he CAN'T get it done.

Toro is offline Rookie

I think hiring a new, inexperienced guy is fine. But why hire new, inexperienced guys everywhere? How about Jim Hazlett as the DC (or someone like him)? Linehan, who is a new guy, hired at least one co-ordinator (whose name escapes me) in St. Louis.

I could understand wanting to come in and rip everything up and start anew if we were 2-14. But we aren't. We're a good football team. The coaching staff and management should be pushing things forward. I'm not convinced they are.

This is a team that isn't that far away. I just think adding a whole bunch of inexperience at this point in time, handling your Pro Bowl QB badly and changing what has historically been a very good offense when the Vikings are a potential NFC Championship game calibre team is not strong tactical or strategic thinking.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Toro" wrote:
    Look, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Zigi as owner than Red. I do think it was time for a change as head coach.

But there are a lot of potential problems.

Zigi has no experience running an NFL team.

The head coach has no experience as a head coach.

The head coach with no experience as a head coach hired an offensive co-ordinator who has no experience as an offensive co-ordinator, and is 36 years old.

The head coach with no experience as a head coach hired a defensive co-ordinator who has no experience as a defensive co-ordinator, and is 33 years old.

The director of player personnel from San Diego, or whatever his title, has no experience in his new position.

And they fired the frickin' trainer!

THAT's the problem!

There's no experience in their positions!

Its not one thing or another - it's all of them combined. That's what makes me worried! If they hired a guy with gray hair as one of the co-ordinators, or someone with extensive personnel experience in the NFL, I wouldn't be so vocal. But it frickin' worries me!

Now, who knows what is happening behind closed doors, but this Culpepper thing has been handled so badly - and I think it reflects on the lack of experience within the organization. Culpepper is just as much to blame for this. However, look at it from his POV. He probably realized after his injury that, like the rest of us, he's mortal. So now he's realized he's locked into a bad deal and wants to re-negotiate. As I've posted elsewhere here, well, too bad Daunte. Not after you just blew out your knee my man. But management is supposed to be smarter. They're supposed to rise above this. They're the ones who, with age, wisdom and experience, are supposed to be able to guide the team through difficult situations like this one. Well, maybe this is the best response, I don't know. But it sure in heck doesn't look like it.

And this West Coast offense stuff - why? Last time I checked, Minnesota has had a much more proficient offense over the past 5, 10 years than the Eagles. The Eagles got to where they were because they continuously sent more guys to the Pro Bowl on defense than on offense. So why is he coming in and making all this noise about changing offenses?

Remember, the Detroit Lions fired Wayne Fontes after a disappointing 9-7 season (or maybe it was 7-9, I can't remember) and handed the team off to an inexperienced GM who hired an inexperienced head coach who also wanted to run a West Coast offense. Now I'm not saying the same fate awaits the Vikings, but its not impossible either. And the best way to avoid such a fate is to have experienced coaches and management.

**** I hope I'm over-reacting.
    Let me put it this way, in real life terms...

I've seen alot, and sometimes the people at lower positions are held down by their superiors because, their superiors know the lesser guy or gal can do a better job..

I worked my way up the ladder from being a laborer, to a carpenter, to a lead carpenter, to a foreman, to superitendent, and now I own my own buisness...

during my travels, many a bosses above me, tried to hold me down. Most because they knew I was better and smarter than them.....Sure I've worked under some great people in my life, and those are the ones that help to teach me and gave me opportunitys to grow...To them I'm thankful and owe everything.

So just like our new coaches, I say hey, give them a shot. I bet some have been held back for years......And I have a gut feeling Childress is one of them...

I think this young group of coaches is going to shine and grow together, and make the Vikings a better team because of it...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Toro is offline Rookie

And another thing, why is Studwell so insecure in his job? The Vikings have drafted pretty well the past 3 years. Why hasn't he been told to go keep doing what he's doing?

This, to me, is another example of coming in and tearing things apart when there is no need to.

Toro is offline Rookie

Damn Ned, I hope you're right.

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    As for Patrick Reusse,

One of you guys or gals ( Country or WBL) living in MN., needs to go down to that news papers parking lot and catch ole Pat going to his car...

He needs to hear a few choice words, then get either a boot up his jiggly butt or a good ole beeyatch slap down. Hey, why not just give him both while at it.

The guy is a bum and should be living in Wisconson....
    In his own sarcastic way, he does make some valid points.
    LOL! I can empathize with Toro's position and sadly agree with you on this take Singer. That doesn't change my OPINION of the Minnesota Media one bit. Judd Zulgad's recent article: "Broadcast Sports: Vikings want privacy and lots of public money" was another one that hit home and sadly had some valid points as well. Still I found myself cheering for the bad guy in his article, Wilf and his team!

At any rate, I still can understand Toro's concerns! This team should not be looking at itself as "Rebuilding" and neither should the coaches or owner. If so, than god-bless us all cause the next two years are gonna suck wazoo!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast