Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Zygi puts faith in the untested

[size=18px]Zygi puts faith in the untested[/size]

The puzzle is this: Why has the new owner given a pair of football management neophytes the keys to the Vikings' store?

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 18, 2006 – 12:43 AM

Dennis Green required six playoff appearances and a 15-1 season that led to hosting the NFC title game to be granted the loudest say in Vikings football operations.

The ownership has given that authority instantly to new coach Brad Childress.

Childress, in turn, had received his initial recommendation to the Vikings from Tom Heckert, a football executive whom the new owners led by Zygi Wilf were not able to hire.

Childress' main task as offensive coordinator in Philadelphia was to make sure the plastic was attached properly to head coach Andy Reid's play sheet, so that the ink would not smudge in the rain.

The fact the Vikings were willing to give so much influence to a nobody assistant probably was the reason that they ran through Heckert and another handful of candidates before settling for Fran Foley as vice president for player personnel.

Foley was a 44-year-old lackey in San Diego. He was behind coach Marty Schottenheimer, General Manager A.J. Smith, Vice President Ed McGuire and assistant GM Buddy Nix in the Chargers' personnel pecking order, which left him to do what ... make sure the staplers were filled?

Foley will be holding up the bottom two-thirds of the power triangle with Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' capologist since the 1999 season. He is the one member of ZIT (Zygi's Isosceles Triangle) with a track record for doing his job.

Brzezinski treated previous owner Red McCombs' money with tender loving care -- so much so that he was able to convince quarterback Daunte Culpepper to sign the least cash-filled alleged big-money contract in NFL history.

Last summer's ownership change did not cause a shift in Brzezinski's modus operandi. Culpepper's one-day walkout in training camp was said to have produced $8 million more in guaranteed money, but Brzezinski outsmarted Daunte and his now-fired agent on that one, too.

He kept about half of that cash, to be paid as part of a $6 million roster bonus due in mid-March. The Vikings now are attempting to unload Culpepper, before Mr. Wilf would be required to issue that check.

The autumn of 2005 was disastrous for Culpepper: poor play in his team's first five games, a serious injury to his right knee in game No. 7, and his high profile with Sex Cruise.

Wilf digested this and repeatedly assured the public that the Vikings would pay the $6 million and retain Culpepper. Either Zygi is a liar, or the change in attitude toward Daunte arrived on Jan. 13.

That's the day Culpepper came to Winter Park, met with Brzezinski, asked for more guaranteed cash in that fool's gold contract of his, was told "no way," and then headed back to Orlando, Fla., in full pout without meeting with his new coach.

There's already evidence Childress is too self-important to handle such a snub, so the Vikings are now prepared to give away Culpepper, a 29-year-old quarterback with 20,162 yards and 135 touchdowns on his résumé.

Allowing a coach who has been on the job for six weeks to steer the franchise toward such an epic decision would be the ultimate in naiveté for this ownership.

And why should we expect anything other than naiveté from Zygi and family, since they fell hopelessly in awe of the first assistant coach they interviewed, and now they have Scott Studwell begging Foley to keep his job.

Studwell has run the Vikings' draft for three years. He's done above-average work and has been the recipient of big accolades from two great football men: Jerry Reichow and Paul Wiggin.

Whether this will be enough for Studwell to be deemed qualified to run college scouting by a fifth-stringer from San Diego remains uncertain.

For Zygi, this week's big event was his stadium presentation before a drooling collection of Blaine city council members on Thursday.

Does it bother anyone else that what the county and the state would be doing in this deal would be covering the $354 million profit that Zygi gave McCombs when be bought the team?

If the Twins get a new ballpark, the deal with Hennepin County calls for the public to reclaim much of the increase in sale price if it occurs in the first few years. In the Vikings' case, McCombs already has absconded to Texas with a new-stadium increase in sale price.

Fifteen cents on a $20 bill up there in Anoka County ... and all that change is already in Red's pocket. Go ahead, folks: Keep on droolin'.

Patrick Reusse can be heard weekdays on AM-1500 KSTP at 6:45 and 7:45 a.m. and 4:40 p.m. • [email protected]

Zygi

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Zygi puts faith in the untested

I HAVE ALWAYS HATED PAT REUSSE!
    This is another case where the tail is wagging the dog. They feel Wilf may be getting too close to convincing the public that a new stadium is needed and so what better thing to do than to make Zygi look like some kind of crook!
    And speaking of Studwell, what great things has he done in the draft? Missed two times when he missed his slot? Yup, that's a real great job. I like Studwell, but don't for one minute think he acted alone in any of the decisions of who to draft. In fact, just the opposite. I remember reading several times where he wanted to draft someone else and Green overturned him. Daunte Culpepper is just one case in point.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

I dont get the Star Tribune just becuz all they do is trash the Vikings. Someone once said here at PPO said they lease the land that the the MetroDoom is on. I dont know if this is true but I wouldnt be surprised! I wish another paper would research this. It would be nice to know the truth!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I hate writers. Especially ones that are from the same area and criticize every move from the home town team.. He should check his own articles for once.. Note to Pat Reusse, Your Articles Suck!!!!

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

The media is trying to get information that is not forthcoming. Make it up, maybe we'll get a slip-up from anger of yet another rumor!
    I just wish the media would just shut the h#&& up unless they have facts to report!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    The media is trying to get information that is not forthcoming. Make it up, maybe we'll get a slip-up from anger of yet another rumor!
    I just wish the media would just shut the h#&& up unless they have facts to report!

Thats the problem though. The media will hardly ever have facts because the players and coaches have been refusing to talk with them..

They have to spread gossip somehow.. Why not at the expense of the team? Jerks, they need to get a hobby..

Toro is offline Rookie

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. I think the article is bang on.

You have an owner with no experience being an owner hiring someone with no experience as a head coach, who then hired an offensive and defensive coordinator with no experience as co-ordinators and who have the combined age of Bud Grant, who wants to implement an offense that never actually won anything in Philadelphia all the while willing to give away a Pro Bowl QB for a bargain basement price because he doesn't supposedly fit the offense, and said new owner hired a personnel director on a team that first round draft picks were refusing to go to a mere two years ago!

FFS!

This has the makings of Les Steckel written all over it.

Man, I hope I'm wrong, but I have not been impressed so far.

This is a talented team that needed some adjustments, not to be torn down and built up again.
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Toro" wrote:
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree. I think the article is bang on.

You have an owner with no experience being an owner hiring someone with no experience as a head coach, who then hired an offensive and defensive coordinator with no experience as co-ordinators and who have the combined age of Bud Grant, who wants to implement an offense that never actually won anything in Philadelphia all the while willing to give away a Pro Bowl QB for a bargain basement price because he doesn't supposedly fit the offense, and said new owner hired a personnel director on a team that first round draft picks were refusing to go to a mere two years ago!

FFS!

This has the makings of Les Steckel written all over it.

Man, I hope I'm wrong, but I have not been impressed so far.

This is a talented team that needed some adjustments, not to be torn down and built up again.
    Sorry Toro,

But I'll have to disagree with your take on our changes going on.

I think this is exactly what this team needs, our coaching was very sad and lost most of the time. I think it's going to bring a breath of freshness to the team and I think that alone is a positive for our players.

But like you said, only time can tell, but I feel this time we got something good going on....JMHO

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

As for Patrick Reusse,

One of you guys or gals ( Country or WBL) living in MN., needs to go down to that news papers parking lot and catch ole Pat going to his car...

He needs to hear a few choice words, then get either a boot up his ass or a good ole bitch slap down. Hey, why not just give him both while at it.

The guy is a bum and should be living in Wisconson....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Yep, trash his car!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast