Prophet Guest

Zygi pays a visit to the Iron Range

Wilf pays us a visit
    Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune
    Wednesday, April 19th, 2006 01:37:28 PM
    Link

HIBBING — This is a Minnesota Vikings owner we can respect.

Zygi Wilf was in Chisholm Monday talking to community leaders and media alike about his proposed stadium in Anoka County, but I got a chance to sit down with him after the luncheon was over to discuss some other items about the Vikings since he bought the team from Red McCombs last season.

Wilf was a pleasure to talk to. He was very open about everything (except the draft, which is coming up on April 29).

Brian K. Anderson, who is our fearless leader came up with some questions for Wilf, including some on the trade of Daunte Culpepper. I didn’t want to get off on the wrong foot with him, so I decided to cut those questions out of the interview. I also didn’t ask him about the Love Boat incident.

I did ask him about his time as an owner.

“I’ve just grown to enjoy being an owner,” Wilf said. “I love every aspect of football. I’ll enjoy running a team for years to come.This first year has been interesting.”

Since Wilf has taken over the helm of the Vikings, the team has done a lot of restructuring, including the hire of Coach Brad Childress. Has Wilf been pleased with the direction the team is headed?

“We’ve done a lot since the season ended,” Wilf said. “Hiring a new coaching staff was necessary to achieve competitiveness in the NFL. I like his (Childress’) philosophy. It’s a winning philosophy.

“We’re establishing an organization as one of class both on and off the field.”

Wilf found out just how dedicated Childress is at his first mini camp.

“I realized the importance of a working relationship of the owner, the coach and the players,” Wilf said. “We’re in the process of developing that.”

Wilf also liked the way his coaching staff handled the free agency period.

“We did a great job in free agency,” he said. “We filled a lot of needs with some great talent. Now, with the draft, we’ll supplement what we have, and we’ll be well prepared to move into next season.”

That’s the kind of owner fans can love. I, for one, hope he gets the chance to build his stadium in Anoka County.

I also hope the Minnesota Twins and Minnesota Gophers get their stadiums built as well. Heck, we’re already paying sales tax when we travel to the Twin Cities when we use their hotels and entertainment facilities.

What’s a little more?

I’m really impressed with Wilf. I’m glad I got the chance to talk with him. Will he remember me? Probably not, but at least he took the time to visit us in Northern Minnesota.

What other owner has ever done that?

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Zygi pays a visit to the Iron Range

Sure now I fined out Zygi was in my area...Damn

Prophet Guest

He's drumming up stadium support around the state. Gotta love it.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

It looks like he's putting in his time and he is really serious about getting this new stadium for us.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Prophet" wrote:
    He's drumming up stadium support around the state. Gotta love it.
    No, he is getting granite for the statue of Cris Carter that will displayed outside the new stadium.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

"PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    Sure now I fined out Zygi was in my area...gol 'darnit
    :lol: yeah same here. i live about 20 miles out of the Hibbing/Chisholm area. would have been cool to see him there.