Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Zygi and Brad Meet

Posted on Mon, Jul. 31, 2006

[size=18px]Johnson mum about his contract[/size]
    Quarterback reports to camp, declines to discuss salary

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Starting quarterback Brad Johnson reported to training camp, as promised, Sunday evening, declaring he was excited to be back but declining to say anything about his contract situation.

Johnson, in his first comments on that subject since the team's May 13 minicamp, also strongly indicated that would continue to be the case going forward.

"Pretty much, I really don't want to talk about any contract, really, for the rest of the time," he said. "That's kind of where I'm at."

Johnson, whose $1.2 million salary for this season is the lowest of any veteran starting quarterback in the NFL, arrived at camp a little less than three hours before the 5 p.m. deadline and had a 10-minute conversation with owner Zygi Wilf in a parking lot.

If any portion of it was contract-related, though, Johnson was keeping it to himself.

"It's his second year coming in as the owner of the Minnesota Vikings," Johnson said. "He's excited, ready for a new year. He went through a learning curve himself. I think you make adjustments on the run. He's excited to be back; I'm excited to be back. Every time I see him, I always talk to him in the building. I think we've always had a very good relationship — I and Zygi have — so it was great to see him again."

Wilf briefly exchanged pleasantries with the media but declined interview requests, which apparently will be the case for the foreseeable future.

Coach Brad Childress, who spoke extensively with Johnson during two meetings last week, said he was glad to have him and the full 84-man roster in camp and to be opening his first training camp with the Vikings with no outside distractions.

"It's what you like to do," he said. "You talk about it all the time. You try to put your business to rest... so you can get about the business of, A, coaching football, and B, making this football team in (the players') case. At best, it's hard to play football at the NFL level. It's almost impossible if you're distracted."

For the record, Childress said everyone reported on time and that there were no surprise injuries.

The players had a procedural meeting Sunday evening and are scheduled to go through a conditioning test this morning before an afternoon workout in shorts.

Beginning Tuesday, the Vikings are scheduled for three consecutive days of two-a-day practices in pads, although Childress said he is prepared to make some changes because of the heat.

Childress' players, based on their experience during the offseason program, are expecting an up-tempo, physical camp.

"Fast. A lot of running," Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper said. "That's one thing they've been preaching, especially on the defensive side of the football."

Center Matt Birk, a nine-year veteran who missed all of last season following hip surgery, said this camp has a different feel, with Childress and a new coaching staff to go with a bunch of new players.

"It just kind of feels like a fresh start, not just for me after not being around last year, but I think for everybody," Birk said. "Just so many new faces and everybody has to get acclimated to themselves and each other."

Johnson, playing for his sixth head coach and in his fifth different offensive system, said he's looking forward to it.

"It should be fun," he said. "Obviously, you've got to do the work on the field and earn everything you get in this league. It's going to be a tough training camp, obviously. There's going to be a tone that's going to be set. There's great expectations, as there are for every team. I'm just looking forward to getting off to a hot start here."

As for the Vikings' plan to limit their starting quarterback's repetitions in practice, Childress said, "We kind of have a pitch count on Brad Johnson," but all the details haven't been worked out.

"I think it'll end up unfolding as we go," Childress said. "It'll be something that we work in conjunction with him."

Johnson, who turns 38 in September, said he's willing to do whatever it takes to get ready for what he hopes is a big season.

"It's my ninth year at Gage Hall," he said. "A lot of great coaches and great players have walked these hallways. Hopefully, we'll be one of those great teams that can do something at the end."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Johnson mum about his contract

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=18px]Lingering curiosity about contract greets Johnson at Mankato[/size]

MANKATO - Quarterback Brad Johnson was one of the first players to arrive at Gage Center on Sunday afternoon as the majority of the Vikings' veterans reported for training camp. Moments after stepping out of his car, Johnson was approached by owner Zygi Wilf. The two chatted for about eight minutes in the parking lot.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 30, 2006 – 9:52 PM

MANKATO - Quarterback Brad Johnson was one of the first players to arrive at Gage Center on Sunday afternoon as the majority of the Vikings' veterans reported for training camp. Moments after stepping out of his car, Johnson was approached by owner Zygi Wilf. The two chatted for about eight minutes in the parking lot.

So what was the main topic of their conversation? Did it involve Johnson's contract and the fact that the $1.2 million he's scheduled to earn this season makes him a bargain?

Johnson wasn't saying -- and made it clear he won't be discussing the issue with the media.

"Pretty much I really don't want to talk about any contract really for the rest of the time," he said. "That's kind of where I'm at."

There had been intense scrutiny on Johnson's status because of his contract, but he had said last week that he would not hold out. He signed a four-year, $6 million deal in 2005 to serve as the backup for the since-traded Daunte Culpepper. Now, Johnson will be the NFL's lowest-paid veteran starter.

"That talk really wasn't through me," Johnson said about the holdout speculation.

Although he won't discuss the issue, Johnson remembers that Wilf gave a disgruntled Culpepper a pay raise of about $8 for the 2005 season during training camp last year.

So what was the conversation between the owner and his starting quarterback about?

"It's [Wilf's] second year coming in as the owner of the Minnesota Vikings, so he's excited and ready for a new year," Johnson said. "He went through a learning curve himself, and I think you make adjustments on the run. He's excited to be back. I'm excited to be back. .... I think we've always had a good relationship. It's great to see him again."

What kicking competition?

Ryan Longwell, who signed a five-year, $10 million free-agent deal in March to leave Green Bay and sign with the Vikings, will be the only kicker in camp. The Vikings tried out a few kickers this offseason but decided against signing someone who would have been brought in just to give Longwell rest.

Coach Brad Childress said he didn't want to sacrifice a roster spot for that perhaps and also pointed out that Longwell, a 10-year veteran, can monitor himself to make sure he doesn't overdo it.

This is nothing new for Longwell. He said the Packers did not bring in another kicker in recent seasons.

"I'm very comfortable with monitoring kicks and [special teams coordinator Paul] Ferraro and I have talked extensively about it and how we want to approach that," he said.

Not a shocker

Although Tank Williams got some unexpected competition for the safety job when free-agent Dwight Smith signed last week, Williams said he was not surprised by the move. One thing Williams pointed out was that Smith played for Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and defensive backs coach Joe Woods when the three were in Tampa Bay.

"You know teams are always going to add players," Williams said. "Especially the familiarity factor between [Smith] and Tomlin and Woods. So it doesn't surprise me at all. ... I want to go out there and perform to the best of my abilities, and if I do that then it shouldn't affect me whatsoever."

Etc.

• Childress said the 84 players on the Vikings' roster all arrived by the reporting deadline late Sunday afternoon. The team will begin camp with no players on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

• The number of passes Johnson throws each day in training-camp practices will be watched closely. Childress referred to it as a "pitch count."

• Cornerback Fred Smoot took a not so subtle shot at the Vikings' former coaching staff Sunday when asked about expectations this season. "I think we could really catch a lot of people by surprise," he said. "They really don't know what to expect from us. They know we've got talent but I think we've got [a coach] here right now that knows how to play chess with the other coaches and put the talent in the right spot to make plays."

Lingering curiosity about contract greets Johnson at Mankato

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

• Cornerback Fred Smoot took a not so subtle shot at the Vikings' former coaching staff Sunday when asked about expectations this season. "I think we could really catch a lot of people by surprise," he said. "They really don't know what to expect from us. They know we've got talent but I think we've got [a coach] here right now that knows how to play chess with the other coaches and put the talent in the right spot to make plays."
    Now that makes me giggle with glee! :lol:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    No doubt. It will be nice to have a coaching staff that can potentially play chess with the boys instead of a coaching staff that was still figuring out the intricacies of tic-tac-toe.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Why does the media just loved to feed on things..of course Brad will get a new contact...what they want to run brad out of town too

Prophet Guest

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Why does the media just loved to feed on things..of course Brad will get a new contact...what they want to run brad out of town too
    :lol:, and you're surprised by this? Nice new avatar, the eyeball will be missed though.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

i cant find the darn thing prophet...i want my avatar back darnit..i dont know what happened...i think i messed up somehow when i couldn't "see" what i was doing

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    :scratch: Why do people automatically assume that if you like Brad you must hate Daunte or if you like Daunte, you must hate Brad?

I like them both. Daunte is gone & Brad is our QB. He has my full support.

There are gol 'darnit very few players that have doned a Vikings uniform that I don't/didn't care for. I could count them all on 1 hand.
    I understand its not one or the other. You have to admit though that many of the die hard Daunte fans will never give Brad a chance and would look at an article like this one that shows he is a class act as an opportunity to twist it around and bag on him. Its been going on for months now. I think any logical fan would read that and say Brad is a classy guy. People still bitter about Daunte leaving won't. People who liked Daunte and like Brad fall into the logical category so please don't feel like I unfairly categorized you.

[color=red]

"MensaTice" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    :scratch: Why do people automatically assume that if you like Brad you must hate Daunte or if you like Daunte, you must hate Brad?

I like them both. Daunte is gone & Brad is our QB. He has my full support.

There are gol 'darnit very few players that have doned a Vikings uniform that I don't/didn't care for. I could count them all on 1 hand.
    I understand its not one or the other. You have to admit though that many of the die hard Daunte fans will never give Brad a chance and would look at an article like this one that shows he is a class act as an opportunity to twist it around and bag on him. Its been going on for months now. I think any logical fan would read that and say Brad is a classy guy. People still bitter about Daunte leaving won't. People who liked Daunte and like Brad fall into the logical category so please don't feel like I unfairly categorized you.
    That's logical! :wink:

I also can't figure out why some are fans of one or the other with no in between.

They are both good QB's & I like them both. DC turned sour on us & BJ is still here.

I would love to see Brad take us to the Superbowl.

Hell I'd like to see any of our QB's do that.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    No doubt. It will be nice to have a coaching staff that can potentially play chess with the boys instead of a coaching staff that was still figuring out the intricacies of tic-tac-toe.
    Tice liked to play chess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12