Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoning Out

Zoning Out

kevin Siefret had a good article on ESPN today.
    Sometimes coachs just tend to overthink a situation and outsmart themselves.
    Kevin does a good job of describing the Marty Brooker touchdown in Chicago with some pretty good insights.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/...oning-out.html

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Zoning Out

The zone blitz concept isn't anything that is really new here my friends.
    Alot of teams do it.
    Is it a gamble?
    Sure, but sometimes it works to perfection.

In fact, didn't we see a DL (for the Browns I think) get a INT dropping back into coverage just 2 weeks ago or something?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

A revelation by Kevin Seifert does not a revelation make.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The zone blitz concept isn't anything that is really new here my friends.
    Alot of teams do it.
    Is it a gamble?
    Sure, but sometimes it works to perfection.

In fact, didn't we see a DL (for the Browns I think) get a INT dropping back into coverage just 2 weeks ago or something?

I can't kill Chilly or Frazier on this one, because it shows they are at least trying to mix things up. But I would much rather see Allen bullrushing the QB, or in a stunt, than dropping into pass coverage. He is so good at picking up screens and tipping passes while rushing...he's much more valuable there.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    kevin Siefret had a good article on ESPN today.
    Sometimes coachs just tend to overthink a situation and outsmart themselves.
    Kevin does a good job of describing the Marty Brooker touchdown in Chicago with some pretty good insights.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/...oning-out.html
    I have never been a big fan of the concept. But to place it in context, it was the end of the third quarter. We were not getting enough pressure with our front four alone. So the cover 2 wasn't keeping Orton from succeeding. Therefore we gambled with some zone blitzing. That time it backfired.
    Sometimes it works.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

Childress' "cute" little schemes are what's going to get him fired... I say keep it up, Chilly!!!

I can hear the responses now, "But that's Fraiser's job"...

Well, Childress ovbiously had some hand in it if he answered questions about it in the press conference and even said they decided to run the play because of the "element of surprise."

Well, that "element" got the Bears a TD, genius.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    Childress' "cute" little schemes are what's going to get him fired... I say keep it up, Chilly!!!

Well, Childress ovbiously had some hand in it if he answered questions about it in the press conference and even said they decided to run the play because of the "element of surprise."

A single play in the game that Seifert decided to disect because he doesn't understand a defense very well.
    It is a common scheme and works sometimes and does not.

You should seriously stick to the hatred of Childress on some of the items that actually are somewhat believable.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"Prophet" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

A single play in the game that Seifert decided to disect because he doesn't understand a defense very well.

You should seriously stick to the hatred of Childress on some of the items that actually are somewhat believable.
    There are COUNTLESS times Childress has
    done this, and simply alluding to the latest example doesn't diffuse the argument at all.

Over the past couple weeks alone there have been questions about the two point conversion, the punt with two minutes left, punting the ball the Reggie Bush, the T-Jack debacle..

The list goes on and on.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

done this, and simply alluding to the latest example doesn't diffuse the argument at all.

Over the past couple weeks alone there have been questions about the two point conversion, the punt with two minutes left, punting the ball the Reggie Bush, the T-Jack debacle..

The list goes on and on.
    The two-pt conversion was with well over a quarter left and it was a judgement call.
    The punt with two minutes left was retarded.
    The Reggie Bush episode was not on his shoulders.
    The TJack debacle is his.
    That makes 2/5 of the points that you brought up relevant.

There are plenty of completely retarded events that have occurred.
    Why water down the real ones with the fallacies?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"C" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

The list goes on and on.
    Perhaps you should try to become the next Vikings coach since you seem to have all the answers to why Chilly is failing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast