Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Zone or man blocking ?

Does anyone know if we are going to zone block again this year ? I personally dislike zone blocking, and I think it in some ways nullifies the advantages we have, for example, with Hutchinson. My take is, go back to man blocking and just let our guys maul the defensive linemen. What do you guys think ?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Zone or man blocking ?

If we zone blocked last year and our new offensive coordinator is of the same mindset as Tomlin last year and nothing seems to have changed, we'll be doing it again.
    I agree though, that man blocking is much easier to learn.
    I think our biggest problem is the backfield picking up the rush blocking.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zone Blocking, although tough to install, is far superior to traditional blocking, especially in producing large gains by the running backs.

Because of its flexibility and compexity it is hard for Defenses to game plan against.

A couple of people did a bit of a breakdown a few months back.
    Take a read on these
    ;D

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=32984.0

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=30710.0
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

It will, like last year, be a mixture of zone and man-to-man blocking.....unless of course the Chiller is checking his spam email and changing his plan because some teenagers read a media hacks article on zone blocking and they relayed their newly found knowlege to Childress and he believes them and he will quit using the scheme implementing some version of a maddenesque blocking scheme that will make the mentally challenged happy.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Almost every team in the NFL utilizes some form of zone blocking sometimes. From watching last year I would wager we did far less zone blocking then most people think. The majority of our blocking remains man.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Zone Blocking, although tough to install, is far superior to traditional blocking, especially in producing large gains by the running backs.

Because of its flexibility and compexity it is hard for Defenses to game plan against.

Take a read on these
    ;D

Just to pat you on the back again. That was the best post on the subject.
    The most fascinating aspect was the realization that the Vikings O-line isn't to large for a zone blocking scheme.
    The O-line had real pass protection problems last year. Mckinnie has slow feet and the right side was even worse.
    But on a positive note. Their zone blocking came together and wasn't too bad by the end of the year.
    They don't always zone block. But I think their zone blocking will be pretty good this year.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Take a read on these
    ;D

The most fascinating aspect was the realization that the Vikings O-line isn't to large for a zone blocking scheme.
    The O-line had real pass protection problems last year. Mckinnie has slow feet and the right side was even worse.
    But on a positive note. Their zone blocking came together and wasn't too bad by the end of the year.
    They don't always zone block. But I think their zone blocking will be pretty good this year.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    I wasn't trying to get a pat, however, I was hoping some people would try to search for info prior to just randomly posting.
    ;D

These two gentlemen are prime examples as proof that some people on here have a clue.
    The ZB scheme or variation/mix that this staff is trying to install is a tough one.
    It lead to hesitation/confusion last year while the guys learned it.

This year we, because of consistency we should see improvement with respect to all aspects of our OL play.

Almost every team in the NFL utilizes some form of zone blocking sometimes. From watching last year I would wager we did far less zone blocking then most people think. The majority of our blocking remains man.
    It will, like last year, be a mixture of zone and man-to-man blocking.....u nless of course the Chiller is checking his spam email and changing his plan because some teenagers read a media hacks article on zone blocking and they relayed their newly found knowlege to Childress and he believes them and he will quit using the scheme implementing some version of a maddenesque blocking scheme that will make the mentally challenged happy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

I can see them doing a bit of both But I would prefer if they stayed with man blocking but the zone does have it benefits. I still say Man-Blocking
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Take a read on these
    ;D

Thanks for your kind words.
    I wasn't trying to get a pat, however, I was hoping some people would try to search for info prior to just randomly posting.

;D

These two gentlemen are prime examples as proof that some people on here have a clue.
    The ZB scheme or variation/mix that this staff is trying to install is a tough one.
    It lead to hesitation/confusion last year while the guys learned it.

This year we, because of consistency we should see improvement with respect to all aspects of our OL play.

It will, like last year, be a mixture of zone and man-to-man blocking.....u nless of course the Chiller is checking his spam email and changing his plan because some teenagers read a media hacks article on zone blocking and they relayed their newly found knowlege to Childress and he believes them and he will quit using the scheme implementing some version of a maddenesque blocking scheme that will make the mentally challenged happy.
    Rather than a pat on the back, I should have said, it is a must read if you haven't.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

My response: three teams use zone blocking in the NFL:

- Green Bay
    :P
    - Houston
    - Denver

All three, except Houston, I hate. I hate the "Donkeys", and of course the Packers. I hate zone blocking, because yes, it is "easy" to learn. But it also nullifies the "just let our guy maul their guy" aspect. Hutchinson is way better if you just let him loose. Zone blocking also tends to draw penalties and involves some chop blocking and other punk-ish stuff that I hate. It is for undersized O-linemen. Do we pay Hutch millions to zone block ??

By the way, Addai, Westbrook, and almost every other running back got good yardage on teams that don't zone block.

Both Super Bowl teams man block, as far as I know.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast