Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Yah, idk if it was him that said it.. But they got pretty in depth

    But when you fail to open holes in run plays.. And can't pick up a blitz or even a 4 man rush then there is a huge problem

    Idk what it is. I dont know much about line play... But it was very clear that there weren't many holes.. And we couldn't hold a pocket

    Idk if its the scheme or just the players.. But it was bad
    I hear ya my friend except for one thing......111 yards running and almost 300 yards passing means that someone opened a whole and making some semblance of a pocket someplace.

    Sure we didn't get to see a record ground game or a high flying passing attack but what we did see was a balanced attack that won the game even after giving the ball up 3 times and a OL that at times did its job.

    AD made alot of those yards himself

    And the WRs were running completely free for quick passes that were taken up field

    Gus was getting bull rushed the hole game and very seldom had a pocket

    Yes we did have holes at times and yes we did have a pocket every once in awhile.. But it was horrible play from our line.. We just can't get to the second level and we can't open passing lanes or pick up a blitz
    Again, I agree to a point, however, RB's are supposed to get some yardage on thier own and a QB should be able to get the ball out if the blitz is coming which will blow up the pocket.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #12
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Marrdro, I did a search for "zone blocking" and got nothing, so I did my post.

    But what research I did, said that the biggest benefit to ZB is that you do not have to change the assignments for a blitz, as they are not matching up man on man.

    From what I'm seeing the ZB is not opening holes for AD.
    The pulling of a guard or center to take on the second level is non-existant.
    Maybe it's the play of the FB and the Vikes should have never let Richardson go.

    Whatever it is, they are not getting AD through the 2nd level.
    AD's longest run this year is 36 yards.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    111 yards running and almost 300 yards passing means that someone opened a whole and making some semblance of a pocket someplace.
    I am sorry Mar, but you are wrong there.
    When 56% of your passing yardage comes from three plays, there is a problem.
    Gus had very little time in the pocket all game, and even on some of the big yardage plays he was heavily pressured.
    There was no semblance of a pocket - that was Gus and the WRs making a few plays.

    And getting 111 yards against a Detroit Lions team that is giving up a NFC high 171 yards per game on the ground is unacceptable.
    Especially when we have Adrian-freaking-Peterson in our backfield.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=48504.msg851680#msg851680 date=1223915561]
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Yah, idk if it was him that said it.. But they got pretty in depth

    But when you fail to open holes in run plays.. And can't pick up a blitz or even a 4 man rush then there is a huge problem

    Idk what it is. I dont know much about line play... But it was very clear that there weren't many holes.. And we couldn't hold a pocket

    Idk if its the scheme or just the players.. But it was bad
    I hear ya my friend except for one thing......111 yards running and almost 300 yards passing means that someone opened a whole and making some semblance of a pocket someplace.

    Sure we didn't get to see a record ground game or a high flying passing attack but what we did see was a balanced attack that won the game even after giving the ball up 3 times and a OL that at times did its job.

    AD made alot of those yards himself

    And the WRs were running completely free for quick passes that were taken up field

    Gus was getting bull rushed the hole game and very seldom had a pocket

    Yes we did have holes at times and yes we did have a pocket every once in awhile.. But it was horrible play from our line.. We just can't get to the second level and we can't open passing lanes or pick up a blitz
    Again, I agree to a point, however, RB's are supposed to get some yardage on thier own and a QB should be able to get the ball out if the blitz is coming which will blow up the pocket.
    [/quote]


    Agreed... Its a teams game

    But when the line rarely found a way to get the job done is totally unacceptable

    Giving up 5 sacks is always unacceptable

    Adrian got all of his yards on cut backs because we couldn't create a hole.. A few times he did get a decent hole but had 3 Lions on him after 2-3 yards

    The line played completely horrible and if Gus hadn't made quick reads and Adrian didn't have great vision we would have been screweddddd

  5. #15
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    111 yards running and almost 300 yards passing means that someone opened a whole and making some semblance of a pocket someplace.
    I am sorry Mar, but you are wrong there.
    When 56% of your passing yardage comes from three plays, there is a problem.
    Gus had very little time in the pocket all game, and even on some of the big yardage plays he was heavily pressured.
    There was no semblance of a pocket - that was Gus and the WRs making a few plays.

    And getting 111 yards against a Detroit Lions team that is giving up a NFC high 171 yards per game on the ground is unacceptable.
    Especially when we have Adrian-freaking-Peterson in our backfield.
    +1
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Yah, idk if it was him that said it.. But they got pretty in depth

    But when you fail to open holes in run plays.. And can't pick up a blitz or even a 4 man rush then there is a huge problem

    Idk what it is. I dont know much about line play... But it was very clear that there weren't many holes.. And we couldn't hold a pocket

    Idk if its the scheme or just the players.. But it was bad
    That is what I think too.
    Something is wrong.
    It is probably a combination of the scheme and the players.
    But either way it needs to be fixed.
    Get Ryan "The Revolving Door" Cook out of there for one.
    And stop adding finesse co-op blocks on passing plays.
    Save that crap for the running plays.
    There you are my friend....... ;D

    I wish I could get a microphone on both Birk and Gus so I could hear what they are saying, however, I am 100 percent convinced they are struggling reading what the D is showing.

    I often wonder what the hell the coaches are doing during the week related to watching tape and the tendancies of the upcoming team in an effort to help them with that.

    Again hard to tell but it looked to me that they audibled quite a few times (I have 7 in my notes) into passing plays when the D actually had a blitz dialed up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?


  8. #18
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Yah, idk if it was him that said it.. But they got pretty in depth

    But when you fail to open holes in run plays.. And can't pick up a blitz or even a 4 man rush then there is a huge problem

    Idk what it is. I dont know much about line play... But it was very clear that there weren't many holes.. And we couldn't hold a pocket

    Idk if its the scheme or just the players.. But it was bad
    That is what I think too.
    Something is wrong.
    It is probably a combination of the scheme and the players.
    But either way it needs to be fixed.
    Get Ryan "The Revolving Door" Cook out of there for one.
    And stop adding finesse co-op blocks on passing plays.
    Save that crap for the running plays.
    There you are my friend....... ;D

    I wish I could get a microphone on both Birk and Gus so I could hear what they are saying, however, I am 100 percent convinced they are struggling reading what the D is showing.

    I often wonder what the hell the coaches are doing during the week related to watching tape and the tendancies of the upcoming team in an effort to help them with that.

    Again hard to tell but it looked to me that they audibled quite a few times (I have 7 in my notes) into passing plays when the D actually had a blitz dialed up.
    I saw that too a couple of times.
    From my vantage I didn't see 7, but I will watch it at home tonight.
    And that is a contribution to the problem as well.

    So if the center and QB can't read the defenses, what are your options.
    One option could be installing a simpler scheme that doesn't have complex blocking patterns... Just my thought.

    I have given Childress and his offensive scheme - every aspect of it - 2.5 years to get it right.
    I am now convinced that it is a failure.
    I am not against zone blocking in general.
    I am opposed to the way Childress has installed it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #19
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    Also, how does the ZB affect the ability to run a sreen pass?
    Because the Vikes have yet to run a effective screen pass.
    Which would help with the pass rush.

    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  10. #20
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Zone blocking? Square peg round hole?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Yes our zone blocking is bad

    Del Rio has said it I believe.. And he is the most knowlegable on here with line play

    From what I saw our guys are having a hard time getting a lid on someone

    It would be easier for them to take on guys one on one and try to move to the next level IMO, Birk and Hutch are great at it
    I never disagree with Del, however, I am not sure that is what he said.

    Regardless, it isn't the scheme that is being run but rather what the blocking assignements are based on the C/QB pre-snap read.

    If they are seeing blitz and audible out of thier play because of it then the team doesn't blitz, end result is a bad offensive play.

    Get that little issue straightened out and the blocking scheme, that is transparent to most fans, won't even be discussed.
    Yah, idk if it was him that said it.. But they got pretty in depth

    But when you fail to open holes in run plays.. And can't pick up a blitz or even a 4 man rush then there is a huge problem

    Idk what it is. I dont know much about line play... But it was very clear that there weren't many holes.. And we couldn't hold a pocket

    Idk if its the scheme or just the players.. But it was bad
    That is what I think too.
    Something is wrong.
    It is probably a combination of the scheme and the players.
    But either way it needs to be fixed.
    Get Ryan "The Revolving Door" Cook out of there for one.
    And stop adding finesse co-op blocks on passing plays.
    Save that crap for the running plays.
    There you are my friend....... ;D

    I wish I could get a microphone on both Birk and Gus so I could hear what they are saying, however, I am 100 percent convinced they are struggling reading what the D is showing.

    I often wonder what the hell the coaches are doing during the week related to watching tape and the tendancies of the upcoming team in an effort to help them with that.

    Again hard to tell but it looked to me that they audibled quite a few times (I have 7 in my notes) into passing plays when the D actually had a blitz dialed up.
    Audibling into a screen pass in to one of the Lions all out blitzes would be genius.... but no that isn't part of the game plan.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do Our Lineman Fit The Zone-Blocking Scheme
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM
  2. Zone blocking - again in '08 ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM
  3. NFL draft: It's the square-peg, round-hole syndrome
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM
  4. Zone or man blocking ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
  5. Like it or not, zone blocking is here
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •