Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: YYYEEESSS!!! Vikings meet with Ernie Sims

BTW, I also read somewhere that the Vikings have also talked to Maryland ILB D'Quell Jackson. Wouldn't mind him either. Maybe not in the first, but if he drops to us in the second, might be a good pick.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather have D'Qwell or Demeco Ryans than him but any of them will do as long as we get a good RB in FA.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"OldManVike" wrote:
    Dey got Sims ranked as da numba 5 OLB in da draft:
    =================================================
    Ernie Sims
    OLB | (6'0", 228) | FLORIDA STATE

Scouts Grade: 92

Strengths: Is a speedy and athletic WLB prospect. Plays with great tenacity and aggressiveness. High motor LB with a mean-streak. Shows very good natural instincts and a nose for the ball. Is a sideline-to-sideline run defender. Shows good initial quickness and closing burst in pursuit. Is a powerful tackler, especially for his size. Will make the big hit and jar the ball loose from the RB or WR. He does a very good job of slipping blocks and sifting through traffic. He has the upper body strength to keep some blockers off his body even when reached. He is fluid in coverage. Shows good instincts in zone coverage, as well as the speed and athletic ability to turn and run with most RB's and TE's one-on-one. Also possesses outstanding ball skills in coverage. Should contribute as a nickel linebacker on passing downs even if he can't play a fulltime role as a rookie in the NFL. He also has the physical and mental tools to provide good production on special teams.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Must add bulk and lower body strength in order to hold his ground in the NFL. He is short and lacks body mass. Gets rag-dolled by bigger blockers that are able to get into his body. He occasionally plays out of control. Will run around blocks and take himself out of position at times. He occasionally will go for the big hit when he should be playing the ball in coverage. He is far better in coverage than he is rushing the passer. Lacks an array of pass rush moves and struggles to get off of blocks once reached as a blitzer. Suffered a fractured fibula during spring practice in 2005 but did not miss any time during fall. He comes from a good family background and coaches speak highly of him as a person, but 2005 arrest causes concern regarding his character.

Overall: Sims played in all 13 games as a true freshman in 2003 and finished with 42 tackles. He started all 11 games and earned second-team All-ACC honors as a sophomore in 2004, when he finished with 86 tackles, nine tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He was arrested for domestic battery and resisting arrest without violence on June 6, 2005 after a fight with his girlfriend. He completed two days of public service after pleading no contest (Aug. 10, 2005) to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct. Sims started all 13 games as a junior in 2005 and finished with 77 tackles, 13 TFL, and three interceptions before electing to leave school early for the 2006 NFL draft. Sims is an undersized prospect that played the Sam linebacker position in college but projects as a Will linebacker in the NFL. He will need to add bulk and lower body strength in order to match up better in the NFL. However, his speed, athletic ability, instincts and explosive tackling skills are difficult to ignore. Sims would fit best on an NFL team that emphasizes speed over size on defense (Colts, Buccaneers, Bears, etc.). Regardless, Sims projects as a late-first or early-second round pick in the 2006 draft.
    ===============================================
    If Zygi wants ta run a squeaky-clean operation, den he might pass on dis guy. Udda dan dat, he looks ok ta me, but mebbe we should make a go of Chad Greenway or Paul Posluszny.
    thanks for that...was just thinking to myself, who? and why?

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleManiac" wrote:
    WAAAHHH-HOOOOO!! Ernie Sims is a beast! I saw them do a special on Sims and the guy is straight out dedicated. He's a hard worker and will be a monster. He's somewhat undersize so maybe he could add a few pounds. I PRAY if he drops to us in the 2nd round we will take him.
    drops to us in the second? take him in the first!!
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"Webby" wrote:
    "OldManVike" wrote:
    Ernie Sims

Strengths: Is a speedy and athletic WLB prospect. Plays with great tenacity and aggressiveness. High motor LB with a mean-streak. Shows very good natural instincts and a nose for the ball. Is a sideline-to-sideline run defender. Shows good initial quickness and closing burst in pursuit. Is a powerful tackler, especially for his size. Will make the big hit and jar the ball loose from the RB or WR. He does a very good job of slipping blocks and sifting through traffic. He has the upper body strength to keep some blockers off his body even when reached. He is fluid in coverage. Shows good instincts in zone coverage, as well as the speed and athletic ability to turn and run with most RB's and TE's one-on-one. Also possesses outstanding ball skills in coverage. Should contribute as a nickel linebacker on passing downs even if he can't play a fulltime role as a rookie in the NFL. He also has the physical and mental tools to provide good production on special teams.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Must add bulk and lower body strength in order to hold his ground in the NFL. He is short and lacks body mass. Gets rag-dolled by bigger blockers that are able to get into his body. He occasionally plays out of control. Will run around blocks and take himself out of position at times. He occasionally will go for the big hit when he should be playing the ball in coverage. He is far better in coverage than he is rushing the passer. Lacks an array of pass rush moves and struggles to get off of blocks once reached as a blitzer. Suffered a fractured fibula during spring practice in 2005 but did not miss any time during fall. He comes from a good family background and coaches speak highly of him as a person, but 2005 arrest causes concern regarding his character.

Overall: Sims played in all 13 games as a true freshman in 2003 and finished with 42 tackles. He started all 11 games and earned second-team All-ACC honors as a sophomore in 2004, when he finished with 86 tackles, nine tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He was arrested for domestic battery and resisting arrest without violence on June 6, 2005 after a fight with his girlfriend. He completed two days of public service after pleading no contest (Aug. 10, 2005) to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct. Sims started all 13 games as a junior in 2005 and finished with 77 tackles, 13 TFL, and three interceptions before electing to leave school early for the 2006 NFL draft. Sims is an undersized prospect that played the Sam linebacker position in college but projects as a Will linebacker in the NFL. He will need to add bulk and lower body strength in order to match up better in the NFL. However, his speed, athletic ability, instincts and explosive tackling skills are difficult to ignore. Sims would fit best on an NFL team that emphasizes speed over size on defense (Colts, Buccaneers, Bears, etc.). Regardless, Sims projects as a late-first or early-second round pick in the 2006 draft.
    If Zygi wants ta run a squeaky-clean operation, den he might pass on dis guy. Udda dan dat, he looks ok ta me, but mebbe we should make a go of Chad Greenway or Paul Posluszny.
    where it says what kind of defense he would fit in is the most important part of that..that is the defense we will be running and we are lacking speed amongst our linebacking group..he would be a nice pickup that would allow henderson to move back to middle, or else turn ej into our primary backup at the weak side and middle both if we are able to find a really good middle linebacker in FA
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"PurpleManiac" wrote:
    I wouldn't mind clairborne back if he agrees to come cheap.
    i suppose he could serve as a good backup..id rather put more speed and consistency on the field via free agency or else by drafting this guy though

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Ernie is a beast..been readin up on him for weeks. I dont know if we can get him in the second....and I dont know if we should use the first pick on him. Its a tought situation...I'm thinking atleast 1 good LB will still be available in the second (D'qwell, Ernie)...But ya...as far as his charecter issues...the assault happened early in his career at FSU...he was young and stupid and hes seemed to mature since. You cant not draft the man on those reasons...cuz K-Will had simular problems this past offseason.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Ernie is a beast..been readin up on him for weeks. I dont know if we can get him in the second....and I dont know if we should use the first pick on him. Its a tought situation...I'm thinking atleast 1 good LB will still be available in the second (D'qwell, Ernie)...But ya...as far as his charecter issues...the assault happened early in his career at FSU...he was young and stupid and hes seemed to mature since. You cant not draft the man on those reasons...cuz K-Will had simular problems this past offseason.

The assault happened in June of 2005, not even a year ago!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    im hoping that we trade up in the 2nd round, there is a lot of quality talent that we could get at the lb spot in the 30-40 spots

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "OldManVike" wrote:
    Ernie Sims

where it says what kind of defense he would fit in is the most important part of that..that is the defense we will be running and we are lacking speed amongst our linebacking group..he would be a nice pickup that would allow henderson to move back to middle, or else turn ej into our primary backup at the weak side and middle both if we are able to find a really good middle linebacker in FA
    That is exactly what I was looking at... all three of those teams mentioned, even though they did not come out and say it, run a cover 2 defense. And I am sure Tomlin is definately looking for a young linebacker that he can instill his defense schemes in, and fits the way he wants to run his cover 2 defense. I would love to see... Sims at (will) EJ back in the (middle) and Will Witherspoon from carolina playin the (sam)... there would be no complaints here!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast