Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big C is offline Coordinator

Your take on the Falcons game

I finally watched my first Vikings game for the year this weekend. I taped it and watched it for the second time too! Can't WAIT for the season to begin! Here are some of the things I noticed:

1. EJ can HIT!!
    2. Mixon, Hovan, Williams and Udeze look really good up front.
    3. I thought Nattiel had a good game. I was hoping to see more of Thomas though.
    4. Onterrio (pothead - I'm still mad at him) Smith had a really bad day.
    5. The fact that we contained Dunn and Vick even when they broke through was encouraging.
    6. Shaun Hill looked terrible.
    7. Mewelde Moore certainly suprised me. He looks like a really good third down back. I'm very happy to hear that he will get a little playing time now that Onterrio (pothead) is suspended for 4 games.
    8. After 1.5 Quarters Moss was the only WR to get a Culpepper pass. I don't think he threw a single pass to any other WR. I'm hoping this is because his first read (Moss) was open all the time and nothing more...
    9. Rod Davis!!
    10. Jimmy K dropped a catch! I found that entertaining more than worrying though cos I have so much faith in him .
    11. This should have come much higher but - I think Bennet had a really good game!! He was quick, he was hitting the gaps that were there, he was putting moves. Despite the stats he looked awesome compared to how Smith was running.
    12. I also like the fact that we're trying to get Bennet the ball on passes.
    13. Our second/third string defense looked like our defense last year. That was scary. What worried me the most was the lack at backup CB.

What are your amateur/pro thoughts? Agree/Disagree?
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Your right about pretty much everything here, especially O.Smith too high to make anyone miss and about our lack of Depth at CB, behind the obvious starters (B.Williams A.Winfield K.Irvin) the only guy who doesn't completely suck is Rusheen Jones. At safety Offord has all the talent he needs but still consistently makes rookie mistakes, which is very bad, and Tyrone Carter, our best backup safety is out 2-6 weeks which really sucks, cause if Russel or Chavous go down, I'm not comfortable starting offord
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Offord is kind of a hard dude to figure out i know he likes the game and wants to learn but never really seem to meet expectations, however i would like to see him play with the first unit defense. Is he a SS or a FS i'm not sure. Anyhow if he could play alongside the rest of the secondary he might get the in game experience he needs. It might help him to play with the best guys not the 2's and 3's, but if someone went down like russell i wouldn't mind seen if he could handle the job, i think he could do it if he was playin with better corners and alongside chavous.

Fact is we need chavous to stay healthy he's the brain of the defense.

I agree with u Big C, especailly about Rod Davis i thought he played very well.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

i disagree with your number 2 ... i believe our starters up front played most of the game through the third quarter ... and still we weren't getting to the QB agianst the falcon's second string line

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah it was kind of wierd they were really getting after Vick did u see how many balls he had to throw away not to mension all the times he used his legs to get out of trouble, if he wasn't a moble QB we would have quite a few sacks. I was kind of pissed when i saw K Williams and Hovan in there in the 3rd quarter i didnt understand that, i dont think its worth them getting hurt.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Certainly, the second string (and third) string secondary players leave A LOT to be desired. However, that is why they are second and third stringers. While we should expect better play, it is unreasonable to expect starting level talent. And unless we have a horrible injury bug, most of those guys will never hit the field except on 3rd and very long (if at all, other than special teams).

Not sure if the problem was Shaun Hill or our 3rd/4th/5th string WRs, but once Hill got in there the offense bogged down somewhat.

I didn't really think the Vikings 1st stringers did that great of a job containing Vick and Dunn; Dunn broke off that one real long run, and Vick also converted a 1st down running. The D didn't do bad, but they didn't completely shut them down either.

All in all, I think the Vikings first team did a very good accounting of themselves. I sure hope Brian Williams heals quickly (and well), because the secondary cannot afford to have even one of those imposters taking up a regular spot in the defensive backfield.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

a thing to note::: the viking's entire starting unit on defense has not given up a touchdown ... blanking out the cardinals to two field goals and limiting vick. and co. to 3 points

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

I like our D, Its what wins championships. If we can stay healthy we are a scary team.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

Big C is offline Coordinator

I sure hope Brian Williams heals quickly (and well), because the secondary cannot afford to have even one of those imposters taking up a regular spot in the defensive backfield.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! "Imposters". That's a good one

I think even though the starting D-Line played in the 3rd quarter as well, I don't think they were all on the field at the same time. That is it was always maybe two of them and two backups so I guess the the Falcon O-Line just double teamed the starters. They were too much to handle in the 1st half because all 4 were playing together. At least that's my guess.

We can't get TOO excited about the D-Line also because Atlanta was playing without BOTH of their starting DEs. As a whole though, the starting D looked good.

It just sucks that we have to wait for the Seattle game to see how the Vikes fair against another playoff-calibre offense. I don't think the SF game this week will be too much of a test for our D. If we can stop Hassellback and Alexander in the final pre-season game, it will assert the confidence I have about our starting D.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Big C" wrote:
    I sure hope Brian Williams heals quickly (and well), because the secondary cannot afford to have even one of those imposters taking up a regular spot in the defensive backfield.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! "Imposters". That's a good one

I think even though the starting D-Line played in the 3rd quarter as well, I don't think they were all on the field at the same time. That is it was always maybe two of them and two backups so I guess the the Falcon O-Line just double teamed the starters. They were too much to handle in the 1st half because all 4 were playing together. At least that's my guess.

We can't get TOO excited about the D-Line also because Atlanta was playing without BOTH of their starting DEs. As a whole though, the starting D looked good.

It just sucks that we have to wait for the Seattle game to see how the Vikes fair against another playoff-calibre offense. I don't think the SF game this week will be too much of a test for our D. If we can stop Hassellback and Alexander in the final pre-season game, it will assert the confidence I have about our starting D.

Yeah, I did not agree with the way tice was playing guys in the atl game. I would have rather seen him play the starters TOGETHER for a few more series and then put in the whole backup unit. I didn't like seeing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stringers mixed together, it destroyed the flow of our D. Hopefully we will keep all of our starters out there together for 1 1/2 to 2 quarters in this 3rd preseason game. Players usually play the longest in the 3rd preseason game, so they might even come out and play a little in the 2nd half, so we can see how they handle the adjustments made at halftime.

It really isn't fair to judge how well Hovan and williams did, when they were playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers on the D-line and a bunch of crapy CB's behind them. When the whole 1st unit D was on the field, we totally shut down the falcons offense, and that is what I will take from this game.

Udeze looked much better in the falcons game. Rod Davis is gonna be a heck of a MLB and is definitelt better than yates, which is what I have been trying to tell some people for awhile now. Kevin Wiliams looks prime for a huge year, much bigger than last year. I loved that play on the goaline, where he ran over the O-lineman and hand vick by the legs, forcing him to throw the ball away. Mewelde moore continues to look great and I hope he gets to play a good amount of snaps every week, because he is a weapon. Shaun Hill looked horrible and behind a line that did pretty good, except for the one dirve, where they gave up 4 sacks, and we still moved the ball on that posession. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a young QB next year to take hill's place as #3 and eventually move to #2.

The SF game won't really challenge our D too much. They do have barlow, who I think is gonna have a huge breakout year, so it will be a good test for our run D. Our offense should be able to put up 3 TD's against them easily, before they give way to the 2nd string.

The seattle game won't tell us much either, since it will be the last preseason game. Starters play a series or two in the 4th preseason game, so we won't see too much in that game either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast