Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Steakman765 is offline Waterboy

Your new FB signee Brandon Jones

He's kind of a friend of the family. Good kid who is a very hard worker. I think he's up around 255 or so now and I heard he ran around a 4.55(maybe a little faster) or so at one workout(he's normally listed as running a 4.6+.) At Purdue he redshirted and then ran for 600+ yards his first year. We platooned guys a lot at RB these past few years,but whenever he received a decent amount of carries he produced big games. Coaches praised him during Spring practice last year and then inexplicably kept him more or less pinned to the bench all year(he came in and scored two TDs against Northwestern in his only decent opportunity.)
    He's got great hands(he was very effective catching passes out of the backfield),is hard to bring down,and is a good special teams player. I would say the lack of experience lead blocking is his biggest drawback,but I think he has the build and work ethic to become good at it(he was good at picking up blitzers and protecting the QB.)
    What is your take on the Vikings fullback situation? Obviously Richardson is set,and I know you have Owens and the rookie from Clemson. Is Owens more of a TE,or is he a fullback? Brandon isn't a pure fullback,but I think he is more athletic than most and he has the potential to develop
    into a good,solid player.
    I'm sure he's a longshot,but I'd like to see him get his chance. Good luck this year. Here are a few highlights from a Purdue fan's website.

Jones highlights

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Your new FB signee Brandon Jones

Don't know much about him to really pass judgement.. Thanks for the info though..

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Thanks for the perspective!

Welcome.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nice to hear it from a personal perspective. Skol and welcome.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

thanks for your imput =) i was wondering about this guy, hadnt really heard to much about him myself

my take on the vikings FB situation, is we picked up the 2 guys we wanted right away, unfortunatly we all know we lost 1 early on, and were left with richardson as our only true FB, im assuming they brought in this guy now to compete for the #2 FB spot, so good luck to him

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Steakman765" wrote:
    He's kind of a friend of the family. Good kid who is a very hard worker. I think he's up around 255 or so now and I heard he ran around a 4.55(maybe a little faster) or so at one workout(he's normally listed as running a 4.6+.) At Purdue he redshirted and then ran for 600+ yards his first year. We platooned guys a lot at RB these past few years,but whenever he received a decent amount of carries he produced big games. Coaches praised him during Spring practice last year and then inexplicably kept him more or less pinned to the bench all year(he came in and scored two TDs against Northwestern in his only decent opportunity.)
    He's got great hands(he was very effective catching passes out of the backfield),is hard to bring down,and is a good special teams player. I would say the lack of experience lead blocking is his biggest drawback,but I think he has the build and work ethic to become good at it(he was good at picking up blitzers and protecting the QB.)
    What is your take on the Vikings fullback situation? Obviously Richardson is set,and I know you have Owens and the rookie from Clemson. Is Owens more of a TE,or is he a fullback? Brandon isn't a pure fullback,but I think he is more athletic than most and he has the potential to develop
    into a good,solid player.
    I'm sure he's a longshot,but I'd like to see him get his chance. Good luck this year. Here are a few highlights from a Purdue fan's website.

Jones highlights
    thnx for the update, it would be good to see another FB make it since we lost Joey Goodspeed earlier this year!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Steakman765 is offline Waterboy

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Nice to hear it from a personal perspective. Skol and welcome.
    Thanks. I am biased,but I am also a huge football fan in general and I have always thought he might have a shot if put in the right situation. The NFL.com pre-draft profile on Jones was fairly positive about his chances of making a team. It seems like the kid from Clemson(Jackson) is more of a pure blocking back and maybe Brandon's skills translate better to the WCO?. BTW,being from Purdue I am curious to see how Ray Edwards does.He definitely has the size and ability;I hope he gets it together. Well,I'm sure you guys have better things to discuss than undrafted rookie fullbacks. You guys have always had an entertaining team and I think Childress was a great hire. If Jones makes it I'll be back to discuss the Vikings,if he gets cut I'll be back to tell you how inept and shortsighted Vikings management is,LOL.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Well,I'm sure you guys have better things to discuss than undrafted rookie fullbacks.
    then you really dont know us do you?

we have absolutely nothing better to do =) we'd be discussing him right now in the "vikings waive 3, sign 1" or what ever thread (which we still are), but its really good to hear some things from a personal standpoint about a player we really dont know too much about

feel free to discuss it all you want

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Aberration is offline Rookie

Well if Tice was still around I would say Owens is a lock to make the team as a fb but who knows.. as it stands I would guess there is a spot on the roster and a spot on the practice squad so if they see something in the kid they will try to keep him around

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nice vids on the link you gave us too. I definately like how he pushed through tacklers.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast