Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

You know things are bad when I have to be optimistic...

Some points about the game:

-Darren Sharper looked good. He didn't blow many coverages, he showed he can still run after the catch. The defense played well up until the Carnell Williams 70 yard burst. It is not an issue of our defense - our defense will keep us in games.

-Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield looked sharp.

Now I know these aren't many positives, but the World Champions opened last season (or the season before last) with a 31-0 butt whoopin' against the Buffalo Bills, and went on to win it all. All is not lost. The Vikings will bounce back and win ten games.

A few points of concern, though:

-Before you say "move on, Randy's not here," realize this - you got a taste of Nate Burleson's shortcomings. The little spiel on Moss "not being a Jerry Rice" on the front page is indeed true - because if you watched the Patriots game on Thursday, you'll note that you've never seen Jerry Rice in quadruple coverage. Randy drew that in the red zone. I believe Nate'll step up and have a 1,000 yard season, but he does not have the raw speed or out-of-the-cut acceleration to get open in a two deep zone. Realizing that, the burden will be on Troy Williamson to force teams out of that two deep zone. Our running game cannot do this, because our offensive line is...well

-Our offensive line is holier than swiss cheese. They looked awful. Moe Williams got raped. Michael Bennett couldn't run behind Denver's offensive line, and we want to start him behind a line like this?

-Daunte looked awful. He's reverted back to 2001 form, and he can't launch if off his back foot anymore when he's in trouble, because we don't have a receiver who has proven he can get open deep and make plays. He can and will step up, but 2004 form should not be expected.

-Start Mewelde Moore. With an offensive line this unstable, we need a running back who can find holes who aren't there. If we do not start Mewelde Moore, I will promise to you that teams will line up in 2 deep zone and watch us self destruct, because Michael Bennett will not find the holes, and Nate Burleson will not be blazing past corners to get open deep.

We have a lot to work on, but this can be done. It's in Tice's hands now, and we must hope he's not as stupid as he acts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: You know things are bad when I have to be optimistic...

Rigt now all that can really be said is that we're going nowhere until the O-Line plays at least halfway decent... Until then there is really no way to see how the team will look normally... I agree that Daunte won't put up as big of numbers this year, I think if the O-Line plays better he could put up 25-30 TD's this reg season....

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Some points about the game:

-Darren Sharper looked good. He didn't blow many coverages, he showed he can still run after the catch. The defense played well up until the Carnell Williams 70 yard burst. It is not an issue of our defense - our defense will keep us in games.

-Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield looked sharp.

Now I know these aren't many positives, but the World Champions opened last season (or the season before last) with a 31-0 butt whoopin' against the Buffalo Bills, and went on to win it all. All is not lost. The Vikings will bounce back and win ten games.

A few points of concern, though:

-Before you say "move on, Randy's not here," realize this - you got a taste of Nate Burleson's shortcomings. The little spiel on Moss "not being a Jerry Rice" on the front page is indeed true - because if you watched the Patriots game on Thursday, you'll note that you've never seen Jerry Rice in quadruple coverage. Randy drew that in the red zone. I believe Nate'll step up and have a 1,000 yard season, but he does not have the raw speed or out-of-the-cut acceleration to get open in a two deep zone. Realizing that, the burden will be on Troy Williamson to force teams out of that two deep zone. Our running game cannot do this, because our offensive line is...well

-Our offensive line is holier than swiss cheese. They looked awful. Moe Williams got raped. Michael Bennett couldn't run behind Denver's offensive line, and we want to start him behind a line like this?

-Daunte looked awful. He's reverted back to 2001 form, and he can't launch if off his back foot anymore when he's in trouble, because we don't have a receiver who has proven he can get open deep and make plays. He can and will step up, but 2004 form should not be expected.

-Start Mewelde Moore. With an offensive line this unstable, we need a running back who can find holes who aren't there. If we do not start Mewelde Moore, I will promise to you that teams will line up in 2 deep zone and watch us self destruct, because Michael Bennett will not find the holes, and Nate Burleson will not be blazing past corners to get open deep.

We have a lot to work on, but this can be done. It's in Tice's hands now, and we must hope he's not as stupid as he acts.
    8404- Nice post, but nobody gets it.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I get your post.

I said all along that Nate had a monster year because of Randy. Now everyone is concentrating on nate which leaves us with a bunch of washed up recievers. I think that it was a good move to get rid of randy and concentrate on defense but we are gonna feel his absence this year.

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    I get your post.

I said all along that Nate had a monster year because of Randy. Now everyone is concentrating on nate which leaves us with a bunch of washed up recievers. I think that it was a good move to get rid of randy and concentrate on defense but we are gonna feel his absence this year.
    What do you mean by "washed up"? I think the WR's are good, they just need Culpepper to have enough time to throw them the ball.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

2001 wasn't Daunte's fall, he was on Madden that year(2002) so the curse was in full effect, look what it's doing to McNabb...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

our wide recieving core is the last of the offencive concerns right now . first and fore most the offencive line looks scary , although after johnson was taken out they did much better. not to mention that mckinney is hurt! second , culp needs to calm down and make better decisions . his pocket presense is off right now , and not to mention the fumbling which most considered to be cured . then there's the Rb's , their all hurt and no ones gaining any yards! when moe williams is your starting rb and the top rusher then you know theres a problem . once these problem are addressed i'm sure the Wr's will do fine.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    our wide recieving core is the last of the offencive concerns right now . first and fore most the offencive line looks scary , although after johnson was taken out they did much better. not to mention that mckinney is hurt! second , culp needs to calm down and make better decisions . his pocket presense is off right now , and not to mention the fumbling which most considered to be cured . then there's the Rb's , their all hurt and no ones gaining any yards! when moe williams is your starting rb and the top rusher then you know theres a problem . once these problem are addressed i'm sure the Wr's will do fine.
    Yah, no worries at WR.

Here is my "Vikes list of priorities" (from greatest to least)

1. Address the O-Line issuse. Sign Dave Dixon?.
    2. On Snday Tice needs to give each RB an oppertunity to step up and take over the #1 role.
    3. Culpepper needs to get comfortable with the players around him and step up and be a leader. I think this week was just a bad game.
    4. The WR's and Pep need better communication.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Hahahah. Thanks for the "optimistic post" there 8404. Way to reach and stretch yourself and see the glass half full.

another thing to be optimistic about , darren sharper out scored the pack by him self!!!! is that some leverage in the next verbal battle or what!!

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast