Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Purplebleeder is offline Training Camp

YOU are the Coach

Very Interesting points.

Since I posted the thread....allow me to be "Red" if you will...and let me throw in some caveats.

As intersting as it sounds to have Bennett be the returner, I would not allow it. Too big an investment to put him in that position. He has a lot of trade value. So that is veto'd.

Same of course goes for any notion of Moss being return man. He IS the franchise.

Now Culpepper run blocking? Out of the question. He is the franchise quarterback. Too much money invested to have him get hurt.

Now come on coaches. I pay you hefty salaries to come up with a really good team so I can get a stadium and make this team sellable.

A lot of good steak in these posts....but I am a salesman...I don't hear no sizzle.....hehehehe
    A Viking Fan(atic)

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

YOU are the Coach

"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    I'd start by having Michael Bennett return kickoffs. Now how awesome would that be?
    It works in Madden...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

YOU are the Coach

guys, guys, guys... you're missing the obvious. we have 3, maybe 4 great backs. how about the wishbone!?! can you imagine bennett, williams, and smith on the field at the same time? add c-pep on the option and that's a scary backfield.
    on defense i'd have the front seven play kill the qb (grab the running back on the way) and tell the d-backfield not to let anyone get behind them.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

YOU are the Coach

I would not have my starting Rb returning kickoffs. My DB's would hit thier recievers at the line of scrimmage. My offense would only have the first 12 plays scripted. My defense would be a four -three and I would blitz in every game if necessary. I like the screen pass and would incoporate Moss into that scheme as well as my RB's. I would also get some passes to Kliensasser.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

YOU are the Coach

I might also try to get McMahon to work with Culpepper
    can we clone Bud Grant?

eelpout72 is offline Starter

YOU are the Coach

For Special teams:
    I like the idea of bennett as kick returner, but put Moss next to him...lethal! people will say that this might lead to injuries to star players but I say you can never have your best players touch the ball enough. Also, are kick off returns that much more dangerous than catching a ball over the middle of the defense? If it looks as if there is no chance to get a good run back, they should go down or out of bounds instead of running into a pile of defenders.

For offense:
    Sporadically use the no huddle offense. Not just on this drive or that drive but switch between the no-huddle and regular offense during the drives. This will keep the defenses off base. Also use 70:30 pass to run ratio. I think time of possession is overrated; scoring points and taking risks is the emphasis. Dont wait until third down to go for the first down. Commonly run plays on first and second down that are designed to generate more than 10 yards. Be aggressive... as far as im concerned punting isnt that much better than giving up a turnover. An interception on a 60 yard bomb can be better than a punt.

Also bring back that play where the split end crackbacks the defensive back after a short swing pass to the slot receiver. Remember that game where Chris Walsh layed out that poor defensive back TWICE in one game; the second one knocked him unconscious (i think it was vs. GB about 4 or so years ago but not sure)

For defense:
    Use both 4-3 and 3-4 and switch them up so that the opposing team has to scheme for both. No prevent defenses. More corner blitzes. About once a game, bring in everybody after the QB except for 3 DBs. Again, be aggressive. Dont worry about what plays the offense will run against you; make THEM worry about how you're going to go after them on defense.

YOU are the Coach

Oh yess let's use two of our best skill players on returns so they get less rest and have a better chance of getting hurt are you crazy or am I just stupid?
    can we clone Bud Grant?

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

YOU are the Coach

Id find us a better kicker.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

YOU are the Coach

Well first things first. Let's get my salary figured out!

After that scrap the whole Bennett/Moss as return men. It would only be cool until some special team gunner said "to hell with a big penalty I am going to put a serious hurt on Moss/Bennett" While we have replacements for Benett (to some extent) we couldn't replace Moss. Other then adding more screens and going to some 2 back sets at times I wouldn't change much on the offense. Biggest thing I would want to instill is the fact that it is a game and they should have fun playing it. 98' was nothing but sandlot football but it was awesome. Still remember a quote from the then current Bengals coach I beleive "The harder we played the behinder we go"

On D I agree with alot of what I have seen as far as being more aggressive. he key to defense is playing like you own the field. You may get burned at times, but if you are murdering people everytime they touch the ball they start to develop the droppsies.

That's all I have. Now where is my check?? I would maybe take a couple cheerleaders in trade! :twisted:
    The truth? You can t handle the truth!!

eelpout72 is offline Starter

YOU are the Coach

"dan3ski" wrote:
    Oh yess let's use two of our best skill players on returns so they get less rest and have a better chance of getting hurt are you crazy or am I just stupid?
    to answer your questions
    1) im probably a little crazy and i really dont think it would actually ever happen because of the possibilities of injury
    2) i dont know if youre stupid but assume that youre not; youre probably just taking my post a bit too seriously. My post was not about being realistic, its about having fun thinking about possibilities and thinking about Bennett and Moss standing next to each other at the goalline returning kicks is fun.

That being said; special teams are important you need good players out there; why not put out the best? Injury? Thats the reason why of course nobody really would do it. But, if we use that argument then should we not have Moss run patterns up the middle because he might get smashed? Maybe we should stop throwing to him altogether; that way he definitely wont get hit.? :scratch: Part of football is getting hit. If you want to minimize injury...take them out of preseason instead where the games dont matter.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast