Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You Build IT

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: You Build IT

"pack93z" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Purple Jesus does not care about stats! He is not human.
    Yep and Bo Jackson was superman in Tecmo Bowl.. on the field he last only a few years..

May AP run for many many years..
    He broke his hip, that's a freak injury right there, you can't judge durability by something like that. It's like saying Kevin Everett's career is over because he "broke down."

Peterson broke his collarbone last year, I believe I once read that it only takes 7 pounds of pressure at the right angle to break your collarbone. That injury IMO, holds nothing to his durability.

His other college injury was an ankle, which is completely healed now, and was clearly completely healed at the start of his junior year when he put up huge numbers.

I am no more concerned with his health than I would be with any other back.

I'm still sticking with 2009 as a big year for us, depending on how we draft, and what the coaching situation turns into.

But if Zygi gives me the reins, we'll be fine.

MNgriff is offline Rookie

"hx38596" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    They rebuilt him this offseason. His bones are all steel. He will play longer than Farve now.
    I will take bets in any amount that AP's effective career is no longer than 8 years.. he may play longer but not at the same level..

Check the stats on NFL running backs.. especially ones that were used alot in college.. there is validity to the thinking next 5 to 7 years.
    "Overused in college"?

He had one full freshman year, 339 carries
    Soph year missed 4 games, 220 carries
    Junior year missed 7 games, 188 carries
    Senior year - with Vikings

So overall 25 games played in college.
    I can't find a top NFL back with less college time.
    Great point there. The good thing out of all that is he didn't get hindered by the injuries that limited his time. I hope he lasts but the topic raises a good point about how we decide to best built around him. I think this team is real close to blowing up but there are the obvious weaknesses at QB and WR.
    I just hope the organization can be tactful in the free agent market and the team will tear it up.
    Skol

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

The official life span of an nfl running back is 3 1/2 years im hoping ap will be around at least 10

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Emmit Smith ran for 1000 11 times, and over 1300 7 times, that's not quite a short spans
    L.T. has ran for 1000 in every of his 6 seasons and will this year too, and has never ran under 1200 yards
    Edge has ran for 1000 6 times and is on pace for 1200 this year, and had two injured seasons early
    Barry Sanders never ran for over 1300 yards all but one of his 10 years in which he ran for 1100
    Big ole Jerome Bettis ran for 1000 in 8 seasons.
    Tiki Barber turned into a stud late in his nfl life with 5 straight huge seasons ending at age 31 with 1600 yds

I could go on and on, this so called "Time Frame" means nothing, Running Backs are different, there was probably people saying Barry Sanders was going to burn out in his time.
    Now i'm not going to say Pederson is Barry Sanders, but come on.

STOP THE MADNESS, just drop this RB life bull.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

I started this thread to see how different posters would build this team, not about RB lifespans i see how it got turned into that...Now hopefully for something completely different

I just think theres a chance right now in the near future to be bigtime

All of you have been around the VIKES longer than I have, you know more about the TEAM

Whats already there great RBs great Oline & Dlines the punter and kicker looks good although I think the special team coach is lost

from what I see Pick up a Freeagent QB that can help in 2008-2010...draft with 1 or 2 a WR QB or even a def cover guy for the next 2 years

I would say get a better coach but I think his job is safe

What would you do?

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

We need a QB and a RT. We can probably draft a RT in the first few rounds; but, QB is the alchemist's gold. I, personally, am losing faith in T-Jack (yeah, he COULD develope, but I'm not seeing it). That means we should draft another QB early, and this is supposed to be a good year for QBs. A rookie would still need time to grow, so we gotta get a veteran, if we want to compete soon. McNabb appears to be the only one that might be available that could work out. I question McNabb's championship qualities ( after watching him puke his soup); but, who else? McNabb may work out well, with a solid running game. He has never had a PURE RB. Westbrook is great, but he's mostly a guy that works in the flat. Westbrook doesn't carry the Rock 30 times a game. If McNabb was working with AD, and didn't have to be the prolific passer guy, I think he could be a good fit. Enough so, that I want to get him, barring any sudden developments which were to make Manning available.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I forgot to address WRs. We gotta draft more, and sign more. Rice appears to be a keeper. It's difficult to judge the rest due to the bad QB play we're getting; but, at least Rice is good. Allison may work, even Ferguson, but we need to get another WR.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

We NEED a Vet QB who can start every game for at least 2 years, preferably 3 or 4.
    We can look at young QBs in the draft and what not over the next 1 or 2 and find the one person we want and he can ride the bench for a couple years without having to be thrown in the fire.
    We also need a stud RT who is a great pass block (run blocking would be good too but pass is imparitive.) we can have one TE helping Mckinnie with pass who is a stud when we want to run, and still be able to have WR sets we want.
    We also need one Vet Receiver who doesn't necessarily have to be an great player, but we need at least a mid level talent with a great veteran presence.
    I think addressing these holes will make us a 10 win team.
    On the D if we can get a DE who can consistently rush the passer and one more OLB who is good in coverage and can bring the blitz I think we could in a couple years be a 12 win team in the NFC if we can put this all together.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:

Yep and Bo Jackson was superman in Tecmo Bowl.. on the field he last only a few years..

May AP run for many many years..
    He broke his hip, that's a freak injury right there, you can't judge durability by something like that. It's like saying Kevin Everett's career is over because he "broke down."

Peterson broke his collarbone last year, I believe I once read that it only takes 7 pounds of pressure at the right angle to break your collarbone. That injury IMO, holds nothing to his durability.

His other college injury was an ankle, which is completely healed now, and was clearly completely healed at the start of his junior year when he put up huge numbers.

I am no more concerned with his health than I would be with any other back.

I'm still sticking with 2009 as a big year for us, depending on how we draft, and what the coaching situation turns into.

But if Zygi gives me the reins, we'll be fine.
    If Zygi gave you the reins, you'd trade half the team/draft picks just to get Moss back here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123